• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malky

Established Member
If we're looking for a younger keeper let's be a bit more adventurous and make Milan an offer they can't refuse for Donnarumma. If that kid is as good as he's being touted(the next Buffon or Neuer), which on current evidence isn't far off then why not take the gamble? I say on talent alone it's worth the risk. The lad looks the real deal.
I mentioned above that Pickford, as good as he is, still wouldn't be my top choice for Cech's replacement, at the top of the list is Donnarumma. The lad is an incredible talent, best keeper at that age I've seen since Buffon and Casillas - excellent shot stopper, great distribution, comfortable with the ball at his feet under pressure, commands his area, he's got the lot this lad. Unfortunately Milan have no reason to sell, plus he's signing/signed a new long term contract so we would need to break our transfer record to sign him! No joke, can see Milan demanding £50M+

Rosso

AM's Resident United Fan
Impressed me today, confident keeper and has that presence. Also comfortable with his feet. Can see him taking over from Hart with England fairly soon.

Malky

Established Member
Always makes me chuckle when people say goalkeepers are good shot-stoppers.

That's literally their job.
What's so funny?
Isn't there shots that have beaten Cech in games where you think " Ospina would of saved that? " as I wouldn't say Cech is a great shot stopper these days, compared to Ospina where shot stopping is his best asset, Cech is more comfortable dealing with crosses into the box, where as Ospina also has the advantage with better distribution.

say yes

forum master baiter
That's not just their job.
Fabianski was a great shot stopper but he was a vampire. He was afraid of the cross.

The shot stopper aspect of that is redundant.

If Fabianski wasn't a good shot stopper he wouldn't be a goalkeeper. Same goes for any other goalkeeper.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Forster's a clown. Makes 1 good save against us and he gets a rep. Has a voice that makes Harry Kane sound like Martin Luther King too.

Pickford seems a talent but has bits too work on. This would make sense.
I'm sure the 6 or 8 straight clean sheets had nothing to do with it...:rolleyes:

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
He's probably not happy with Cech's distribution first and foremost, we were just giving the ball back to Everton/City from goal-kicks/free-kicks. In general Cech is still quite solid and makes a lot of vital saves so I'm not 100% convinced about Wenger being that unhappy with Cech.

As for Pickford, he seems fairly talented in the shot-stopping department at the very least.
I would also tend to agree. Given how long he persisted with an absolute bin man in Almunia I would find it hard to believe that he's that bothered by Cech's performances this season. I'm not sure Cech could be that bad if he lost his arms.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Always makes me chuckle when people say goalkeepers are good shot-stoppers.

That's literally their job.
They have multiple jobs, when someone says they're a good shot stopper I assume they mean it relatively. Of course all EPL keepers are decent shot stoppers. Some are capable of stopping shots that others aren't, some are more consistent. It's a bit of a vague statement, I'll give you that.

Godwin1

Very well-known
I mentioned above that Pickford, as good as he is, still wouldn't be my top choice for Cech's replacement, at the top of the list is Donnarumma. The lad is an incredible talent, best keeper at that age I've seen since Buffon and Casillas - excellent shot stopper, great distribution, comfortable with the ball at his feet under pressure, commands his area, he's got the lot this lad. Unfortunately Milan have no reason to sell, plus he's signing/signed a new long term contract so we would need to break our transfer record to sign him! No joke, can see Milan demanding £50M+
Yeah he's the hottest prospect in world football at the moment, in the GK position of course. I don't think it's possible for us to sign him though, nor many other teams for that matter.

Godwin1

Very well-known
Pickford's been the goal keeper of the season so far for me, would be a good signing on the face of it. Can't keep the nagging feeling though about signing young keepers in general though, so many seem to show massive promise at an early age before totally going off the rails.

Impact

Established Member
Fail to see the point of buying potential in this position once players are past 18. Goalkeeper is not a position you can afford to offer development time to players for. Any adverse impact would be far too detrimental to the team's success. Even with the talent David de Gea had, he struggled initially to adapt to the requirements for a top PL 'keeper.

It's simple for me. Our next goalkeeper has to be better than Cech or it's not a worthwhile signing/risk to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom