• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

José Antonio Reyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

eikaz

Reyes is a very good player..pires now is older as we can see him..so Reyes will a magnificent signing to replace him.. :D

Webdesignlab

Established Member
n_henry said:
20 mil? :shock:

Good rumour though. For 20 mil...he better turn out to be worth it. ;)

Thats the whole point isn't it .. its rumour entertainment for us bored Gooners. Great if true though.

lewdikris

Established Member
Reyes would cost 20 million, and may, in all honesty, be worth it. He's awesome.

But if Van Persie only costs 5 million that will be a much, much better bit of business - leaving money for other transfers, whilst still acquiring a player of massive, massive potential...

lewdikris

Established Member
... O, and remember, Reyes isn't cup tied... Which is a small part of the reason for his valuation at this mid-point of the season.

Chips&CurrySauce

In view that both Reyes and Van Persie are both left sided attacking players, who can either play as number 10's or as wingers, and in view that Wenger has been an admirer of Reyes for a couple of season now, do people think Arsenal made a low bid for Van Persie in order to put pressure on Seville to sell Reyes to us. ie if you don't accept 20 million we will simply end our interest in your player and buy Van Persie for £4 million....

Sammer

Established Member
....could be.

But honestly: are we - financially speaking - really in the position to make a 20 Million Pound bit????

I don´t know...

goonerlove

It doesn't make sense...

It doesn't fit AW's profile...

And it doesn't seem financially feasible...

I really doubt this is credible..

Goonerlove

kluivert

20 million!! I'll prefer Trezeguet for that kind of money.But i 've seen this kid play & he's really awsome true number 10.The preference for me its to have a pure finnisher,Since the departure of IW8 we 're still looking.Reyes will set up goals not finnish them & for that we've P7 (another2/3 years)& Henry ( at least 6/7 years).

I studied the Titi & trezegol partenership, it's already better than Gullit/Van basten, Maradonna/Can't remember his name, Pele/Garrincha.There's only one above: Romario/ronaldo.

If he comes they'll ve time to perfect it!!

JazzG

Established Member
The only reason the partnership is so good is coz of Henry. Henry will constantly give him chance after chance, he will then waste 75% of them and put away 25%. Well over-rated player imo. That partnership is not quite as good as your making it out either ;)

lewdikris

Established Member
True true - and all those partnerships really depend on one all time great playing it in for a lesser partner ... except Gullit and Van Basten, which was unique.

Arsenal have never been better attack-wise than a couple of years ago when DB10 still had it all in him and Titi was the lead man. It may be different for France, but we attack from deeper than they do.

And Reyes can be a MUCH MUCH better player than Trezeguet could ever DREAM of being...

Adam

Established Member
lewdikris said:
And Reyes can be a MUCH MUCH better player than Trezeguet could ever DREAM of being...

For Wengerball style of play - yes. But as individuals you would know they are imcomparable.

Reyes is being over-hyped here. He is yet to acheive anything, and is still at a minnow club. It's still talking about potential.

I wouldn't say Reyes is as good as creative player as Trezeguet is box player.

Yet.

JazzG

Established Member
I'd agree with lewdikris tbh. Reyes has been awesome for such a poor club. I haven't seen that much of him but what I have seen the guy is superb. He has a very good cross and is a good dribbler. He took R.Madrid apart when Sevilla won 4-1, so that to me shows he isn't the type to choke in big matches.

Trez is so over-rated it is untrue. He is not as good as some make it out, I have seen miss so many sitters. Reminds me of Andy Cole, some days he is clinical some days he needs 7 chances to score..........

jc8gooner

Trez is so over-rated it is untrue. He is not as good as some make it out, I have seen miss so many sitters.
I'm inclined to agree with that. He isn't as great as everyone says. I reckon there ae plenty who are better and cheaper. I'm not saying he's rubbish cos he clearly is a very good player, but I'm not sure that he is as good as everyone thinks he is.

Adam

Established Member
JazzG said:
I'd agree with lewdikris tbh. Reyes has been awesome for such a poor club. I haven't seen that much of him but what I have seen the guy is superb. He has a very good cross and is a good dribbler. He took R.Madrid apart when Sevilla won 4-1, so that to me shows he isn't the type to choke in big matches.

Trez is so over-rated it is untrue. He is not as good as some make it out, I have seen miss so many sitters. Reminds me of Andy Cole, some days he is clinical some days he needs 7 chances to score..........

You'd have to say Real Madrids defence is poor, and Trezeguet's goal record is great.

I'd like to see Reyes's assist stats, and goal stats.

His overall potential would have to be measured too - physical qualities, adaptation when he does move to a big club (we can asses him better then) - he has mental disabilities which could make a change difficult.

I saw him as a creative dribbler ala Pires. Not a player who would be positionally disciplined up front like a Bergkamp. He would be very mobile and would float - not finding the right angles to assist from needed in Wengberball.

The passing is more important than the dribbling in Dennis's position too. While we have Pires; we don't need Reyes. If i am talking about him as an Arsenal target - i'd have to say he is a creative midfielder.

Bentley lacks the pace and dribbling ability of a winger - despite having a few tricks and neat turns and touches most of his ability is on the spot (like Dennis). He is a better prospect for us in the hole rather than Reyes.

The talk of Reyes bridging a gap between Pires and Henry by being a left footed dribbling hole player is wrong - not only would this make Ljungberg redundant (nobody to assist him and reward his runs with the right balls) but it would also make the right hand side less prominent in offense (despite Kolo Toure bombimg up there).

Reyes should be a like for like swap for Pires, just as Van Persie or Ryan Smith would be.

Bentley for Bergkamp. Aliadiere/Quincy/Etoo for Henry, and Ljungberg is an ambiguous one.

It's the way it would work with Wengerball - unless we expect Wenger to evolve it offensively and play two Henry style players (Henry and Ali), or two Pires's (Pires and Reyes).

I see Bentley fitting into Wengerball more sweetly in the long term.

The problem is that Bergkamp and Bentley are a rare breed. Vision, touch and position wise. This makes it harder to see what we can do with Wengerball when we lose Bergkamp - we have an established style of play because of Bergy as he has helped us to establish two positions in recent years; his own and Ljungbergs (by creating a chunk of his goals, which in turn is the reasoning of Ljungberg playing there).

Ljungberg has been an important player for us when Dennis has been too (his run of goals in 01/02). It will be interesting to see what happens when this is not the scenario.

Losing Dennis loses two vital offensive positions. Kanu can't play the Dennis role in the team as proved. Kanu is Kanu; less concise with his passing and less efficient with his touches.

So you see - we need a player like Bentley in the Bergkamp position unless Wengberball plans to evolve.

We need a player who can angle the right passes, not make the right hand side redundant (so Ljungberg can be important to us), has economical touches (to not slow the Wengerball counter attacks down) and supreme vision.

Any goers? :wink:

It's profound, but i think Wengerball is undergoing transition post Bergkamp. Ljungberg has to develop his overall game, and the team will have to evolve it's offensive balance. Wengerball will change unless we find the right player to take Bergkamps throne.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Signing Reyes for £20m would represent a huge risk. Why would Sevilla accept £20m when they turned down allegedly £21m a few weeks ago. :roll:

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Adam said:
JazzG said:

You'd have to say Real Madrids defence is poor, and Trezeguet's goal record is great.

I'd like to see Reyes's assist stats, and goal stats.

His overall potential would have to be measured too - physical qualities, adaptation when he does move to a big club (we can asses him better then) - he has mental disabilities which could make a change difficult.

I saw him as a creative dribbler ala Pires. Not a player who would be positionally disciplined up front like a Bergkamp. He would be very mobile and would float - not finding the right angles to assist from needed in Wengberball.

The passing is more important than the dribbling in Dennis's position too. While we have Pires; we don't need Reyes. If i am talking about him as an Arsenal target - i'd have to say he is a creative midfielder.

Bentley lacks the pace and dribbling ability of a winger - despite having a few tricks and neat turns and touches most of his ability is on the spot (like Dennis). He is a better prospect for us in the hole rather than Reyes.

The talk of Reyes bridging a gap between Pires and Henry by being a left footed dribbling hole player is wrong - not only would this make Ljungberg redundant (nobody to assist him and reward his runs with the right balls) but it would also make the right hand side less prominent in offense (despite Kolo Toure bombimg up there).

Reyes should be a like for like swap for Pires, just as Van Persie or Ryan Smith would be.

Bentley for Bergkamp. Aliadiere/Quincy/Etoo for Henry, and Ljungberg is an ambiguous one.

It's the way it would work with Wengerball - unless we expect Wenger to evolve it offensively and play two Henry style players (Henry and Ali), or two Pires's (Pires and Reyes).

I see Bentley fitting into Wengerball more sweetly in the long term.

The problem is that Bergkamp and Bentley are a rare breed. Vision, touch and position wise. This makes it harder to see what we can do with Wengerball when we lose Bergkamp - we have an established style of play because of Bergy as he has helped us to establish two positions in recent years; his own and Ljungbergs (by creating a chunk of his goals, which in turn is the reasoning of Ljungberg playing there).

Ljungberg has been an important player for us when Dennis has been too (his run of goals in 01/02). It will be interesting to see what happens when this is not the scenario.

Losing Dennis loses two vital offensive positions. Kanu can't play the Dennis role in the team as proved. Kanu is Kanu; less concise with his passing and less efficient with his touches.

So you see - we need a player like Bentley in the Bergkamp position unless Wengberball plans to evolve.

We need a player who can angle the right passes, not make the right hand side redundant (so Ljungberg can be important to us), has economical touches (to not slow the Wengerball counter attacks down) and supreme vision.

Any goers? :wink:

It's profound, but i think Wengerball is undergoing transition post Bergkamp. Ljungberg has to develop his overall game, and the team will have to evolve it's offensive balance. Wengerball will change unless we find the right player to take Bergkamps throne.

You have the situation NOW very well understood as usual Adam. But as you are hinting at AW is looking to take it to a new place. Reyes (or Striker X as we had better call the mystery man), may well be the key to a new shift in tactics.

Then again Henry was a winger and AW helped him become what he is today. So actually we are all still in the dark. Only AW knows at the moment what he is up to. It looks very promising though. Aw stated that he will only buy if the right player is a available at the right. Well there are a few who are. RvP, Defoe, Angel. Then there is also Mr Jose Reyes which would be our most significant signing since Paddy, Titi and Bobby.

The bid sounds a lot of money £20m? ... hmm maybe with bonuses etc. But as a straight fee? ... I wouldn't have thought we would have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom