• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

José Mourinho: See Mou Later

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Wenger and Jose have clearly buried the axe though.

That run when they were both pundits together was the peak of football coverage.
Sadly, instead of learning from them british pundits decided to ask themselves *How can I be worse?*.

Gary Neville last season was a disgrace and any network that takes itself seriously should kick him to the curb.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Sadly, instead of learning from them british pundits decided to ask themselves *How can I be worse?*.

Gary Neville last season was a disgrace and any network that takes itself seriously should kick him to the curb.

Sky have started copying ESPN in the USA and just have their pundits frothing at the mouth all the time because it gets huge traction on YouTube.

Them and BT are in a race to the bottom and it’s absolutely brutal watching them now.

Just the likes of Souness and Keane ranting about how disgraceful the losers are every Sunday rather than analyse the actual games because it’s better for clicks and ratings.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Jose is a great guy.

When was the last time you saw Wenger do something like this? Exactly.
Arsène Wenger was given the highest honor you can be given by his ex player George Weah, the President of Liberia. He is beloved by pretty much everyone who has ever played for him and his present job at FIFA is in large part figuring out how to make football more accessible for the poorest most disadvantaged people on the planet. You sound utterly ridiculous.

Taneruit

Established Member

The problem is where you draw the line.

If its players that were quite literary poached to play for other countries I agree. Even in general without just limiting to African countries.

Still think its weird to have players playing for countries that haven't set a foot in them before turning 15+ or other players searching through their grandparents attic to be eligible to play for a random country. That does devalue international competition, imo.

That said, the vast majority grew up or/and have a strong connection to the country they play for. And if you did so there's zero reason you shouldn't be able to play for said country.

For example in the comments to that tweet people bring up Karim Adeyemi. I mean, seriously? Dude wasn't even born in Nigeria. He's born in munich, lived his entire life in germany and went through the german youth system. He's damn well allowed to play for Germany. FFS.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

What does this mean though? A Patrick Vieira will be FORCED to represent Senegal even though France is now his home?

I think players should be allowed to do whatever they want.

These are weird comments if you deep it.

I see both sides. I personally really liked what Mourinho said except for the force thing, but the overall message was a good one. We've seen players get poached by big nations, make one cap and be stuck there and regret it.

A lot needs to be done for Africans to be seen as equal, we had someone on here openly say Pepe plays like he was found in the jungle just the other day. Mourinho's suggestion probably isn't the way but it needed to be said.

Until playing for an African nation is as respected, lucrative and prestigious as say France or Spain the African teams will never be as strong as they should be.

1656067779304.png

Saliba's parents are of Cameroon and Lebonese descent iirc.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Sometimes players don’t even feel any affinity to the country of their origin, why they should be blocked from Holland, Germany, England etc, which is for them, their home.

Reactions: Xln

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
The problem is where you draw the line.

If its players that were quite literary poached to play for other countries I agree. Even in general without just limiting to African countries.

Still think its weird to have players playing for countries that haven't set a foot in them before turning 15+ or other players searching through their grandparents attic to be eligible to play for a random country. That does devalue international competition, imo.

That said, the vast majority grew up or/and have a strong connection to the country they play for. And if you did so there's zero reason you shouldn't be able to play for said country.

For example in the comments to that tweet people bring up Karim Adeyemi. I mean, seriously? Dude wasn't even born in Nigeria. He's born in munich, lived his entire life in germany and went through the german youth system. He's damn well allowed to play for Germany. FFS.

The issue could be better dealt with by FIFA raising financial support for all football associations worldwide through allocations and proper investment in feeder football structures, and policing government interference and financial flows quite closely. This would allow countries to hold onto their best talent, by either paying them properly as internationals, or keeping them in their domestic leagues.

Not going to happen though, because football remains a business. It is in FIFA's interest to have Europe as the hub for the world's best talent, which keeps European leagues stronger, and revenues higher.

Taneruit

Established Member

Until playing for an African nation is as respected, lucrative and prestigious as say France or Spain the African teams will never be as strong as they should be.

View attachment 7442

Saliba's parents are of Cameroon and Lebonese descent iirc.
That list says nothing though. Heritage through your parents doesn't mean your poached.

Completely normal to play for the country you were born/grew up in. No guarantee a lot of them would choose differently on prestige alone.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

That list says nothing though. Heritage through your parents doesn't mean your poached.

Completely normal to play for the country you were born/grew up in. No guarantee a lot of them would choose differently on prestige alone.
Not saying it's not the case but a lot of players risk the chance of only making one cap in their entire career because of the incentives and recognition of playing for an European giant like Belgium or something.

A lot of it isn't to do with patriotism otherwise we wouldn't have so many examples of players switching allegiance after U21 level when they realise England/Spain/France is zero chance. Nketiah England's U23 record holder considering switching it up a very recent example.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I think this is much similar to "brain drain" that exists in every other field. People emigrate and use their skills in a country where they can make the best out of it. As someone mentioned above, the best solution is to invest more money in football leagues in African countries and also in African football boards so that players can make similar money there. Indian techies have been emigrating all over the world for better pay. I am seeing a recent trend that many of them are turning down offers to move to Europe because market forced tech companies in India to pay higher salaries compared to Europe. The US still pays better though. I don't think forcing everyone to work in India would have helped anyone at that time because India has huge population and we needed to get them employed somehow.

Forcing players to play in home country is not the solution. Making it more lucrative is.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Reminds me of Wilshere's "only English people should play for England" remarks back in like 2012.

Think that was to do with Arteta possibly playing for England, funny enough :lol:

Taneruit

Established Member

eYKx0eSiPLIu-kcDyQ5B0HaDiHZsHoC8jYZBV1GxaOw.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom