• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Josh Doig

Bloodbather

Established Member

That's more reason not to go for Bertrand to be honest! I wouldn't want to rely on him for 40% of the games. I want someone who is at least not dissimilar to Tierney in terms of profile. I think Doig makes sense - season of Scottish football, good profile, young. But if @Scottish_Gooner. is right that he's not quite ready for that, then I say we pass and get a Championship LB.

Rico Henry
Lee Buchanan
Jay Dasilva
That one Fulham LB, can't remember his name but he'll be in the Championship next season.

That's the kind of profile we should be looking at IMO if we don't get Doig.
I get the sentiment, but I think the idea of backing up a 23-year old regular starter is a hard sell for up-and-coming young players. Those players surely foresee themselves as future PL starters, they'd prefer regular playing time.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I get the sentiment, but I think the idea of backing up a 23-year old regular starter is a hard sell for up-and-coming young players. Those players surely foresee themselves as future PL starters, they'd prefer regular playing time.
I agree, it's a hard sell but I think it's one we can pull off and it benefits us far more than bringing in a 32 year old LB who is way past his best and performing below the average.

Besides, Kieran Tierney is likely to pick up at least one injury that keeps him out for a couple of months. I'd much rather be able to call on one of the guys I mentioned than Bertrand at this stage. Maybe Bertrand 3-5 years ago would have been ideal, but definitely not now.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
I'm not convinced on Tierney. He can't seem to stay fit.

He has great attitude, but not reliable to play. No one should think his place in teh side is guaranteed - and Doig if is World Class, will ultimately win the position.

Zazu

Lmao. John McGinn went for 3.5m. No chance Doig goes for more than 2m.
As Scottish Gooner already pointed out I think it will take more than 2m now to get Doig.

When McGinn went for that price he only had a year left on his contract, Doig has 4. We (hibs) were also a wee bit more cash strapped then under our previous owners, who nearly always accepted nearly any multi million pound bid for our players.

The new American guy has injected some cash into the club and doesn't seem keen to sell our assets for the first big bid that comes along anymore. This was seen in January when the club rejected decent 7 figure offers for Porteous and Nisbet, which a lot of hibs fans thought should have been accepted (thankfully our new owner has a more ambitious mentality than them).

That being said, I think Doig would definitely be available for less than £5million or so, especially if add on clauses and possibly a loan back is included.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
If Doig is someone we're looking at long term he shouldn't be hard to get.

£3.5-£4m plus a season long loan back to Hibs should be enough.

Loan to a lower PL side in his second season then have him take over from Bertrand if he's up to standard. Could work out quite well.

These sort of transfers are worth a punt. Even if he doesn't develop into the player you wish you're probably still going to make a fair profit a few years down the line as long as he doesn't totally bomb. Not a lot of risk attached at all.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

No point signing this guy for 4M when you can give Bertrand a 4M signing on bonus.
Bertrand is already done. Club are just pretending they’re looking at all options before announcing him as the best choice. In reality, Edu got excited when he realised no work was needed for another freebie to fill a gap and snapped him up two months ago.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
the only selling point to young left backs can be all the cup games and a hint about Tierney being LCB in 3 man d at times, leaving lwb for taking

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
the only selling point to young left backs can be all the cup games and a hint about Tierney being LCB in 3 man d at times, leaving lwb for taking

Also the fact that Tierney is very unlikely to stay fit for the season, even with no European games!

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

A selling point to a young lad at Hibs is "Come to Arsenal, we'll pay you more money". That'd do it, I'd say.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
And Jesus, if Tierney's his hero he's not gonna be worrying about playing time, he'll just want to come and play with him and learn off him. They'd have a grand old time together.

Iceman10

Established Member
A selling point to a young lad at Hibs is "Come to Arsenal, we'll pay you more money". That'd do it, I'd say.
He will still develop at Arsenal over 2-3 seasons. After that if Tierney is doing great while shaking off recurring injuries and Doig is still clear #2 choice his profile would have been raised and he can be moved on somewhere where he can be #1 choice. He would still only be 21-22 years old at that point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom