• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool: Slot Shame

• Thread starter KMC
  • Start date
  • Replies 6,291
  • Views 824,681

Dj_sds -

We sold a wantaway Alexis with 6 months on his contract to Man U for 30m and Mikhi. And then re-signed Özil.

We also cleared out the likes of Walcott, Coq, Gabriel, Debuchy, etc.

Liverpool have spent over 400m in the past few years and won absolutely nothing, while we've won three FA Cups since 2014 during our apparent downturn.

We didnt get money for sanchez it was a clean swap. We got around 100m for fabregas, sanchez, nasri and van persie. They got 140m for a want away coutinho. Even before the transfer fees started spiraling out of control they were getting top dollar. They got 50m for a want away passed his peak torres, which was a record breaking transfer fee back then. That they bought dross is also mismanagement, hence the people responsible got fired.

And the fact sanchez only had 6 months on his contract is exactly my point.

blaze_of_glory

We didnt get money for sanchez it was a clean swap. We got around 100m for fabregas, sanchez, nasri and van persie. They got 140m for a want away coutinho. Even before the transfer fees started spiraling out of control they were getting top dollar. They got 50m for a want away passed his peak torres, which was a record breaking transfer fee back then. That they bought dross is also mismanagement, hence the people responsible got fired.

And the fact sanchez only had 6 months on his contract is exactly my point.
You're right! Forgot about that. Still think we did well enough there considering. Alexis is now just draining money from Man U and hasn't performed at all.

But the rest of your post is all old stuff... Not sure the relevance since we've been comfortably ahead of Liverpool during that time up until these past two years. They are the last team we should emulate, the absolute worst return for money spent out of anyone in the EPL era.

Dj_sds -

You're right! Forgot about that. Still think we did well enough there considering. Alexis is now just draining money from Man U and hasn't performed at all.

But the rest of your post is all old stuff... Not sure the relevance since we've been comfortably ahead of Liverpool during that time up until these past two years. They are the last team we should emulate, the absolute worst return for money spent out of anyone in the EPL era.

Was just a knee jerk reaction to them signing fabinho tbh. But still, arsenal can learn a lot from liverpool regarding the sale of players. And that is something i do wish we emulate.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Haha yea, i remember someone in an article bigging up their signings claiming they spend their money on statistically proven premier-league players. And steward downings father claiming andy carrol would get 20 goals from stewart downing assist alone. :lol:
Downing had no assists to his name in the PL as a winger in that season for Liverpool.
He improved in the second one, but overall he was a poor transfer.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
They become average without Salah on the pitch.
Both will give them a solid midfield, but I don't know if they'll do anything to improve them creatively. Liverpool has been lacking a regista.
Fair enough; they definitely, bar Salah, aren’t exactly the best at unlocking packed defenses. That said, they don’t score many goals from settled situations anyways — a good chunk of their goals are the result of an explosion of pace and power — and the two guys they’re bringing in have that in spades (with more technical ability than the positional incumbents, to boot). Think they’ll make strides next year.

Last edited:

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
They're still missing strikers on the bench in case Salah or the other two get injured.
Take him out of the team and they're suddenly Everton.

A new, capeable attacker would do them good. Although the addition of Keita, Fabinho and possibly Fekir or Ziyech will give them the ability to set impulses from midfield. Right now Henderson/Milner/Wijnaldum are just there to run, win the ball and quickly get it to the front three.

You could see it against Real. Without Salah, Firmino either had to drop too deep or was isolated up front and Mané was the guy driving them forward. With Keita and another creative attacker their midfield will be more useful when on the ball.

Borussin

AM's Resident Dortmund Fan
Fabinho, Keita, and another defender would pretty much cement their viability on all 4 fronts next year.

I think for defenders they will be ok, cos surely having a proper DM now will help them in a big way.

Since Kloppo went there, this is the first time he's had a DM. It amazes me actually, cos at Dortmund (and at Mainz), he always used a DM! I guess he's just slowly been getting round to finding the right man.

Henderson isn't a DM, he's a converted one, and isn't exactly a dominant midfielder, Emre Can wants to be one, but doesn't have the intelligence, work ethic or mobility to be the style of one Liverpool would need.

So yeah, I think having Fabinho will be very good for them from a defensive standpoint too, far more than getting more defenders would be.

I would think they will look at forward options, they have a lot of strikers who are average - Ings, Origi, Solanke, Solanke is still very young though. But I can see them offloading the other 2 and trying to get a better fit for the squad - someone who can rotate / help their front 3.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Liverpool already strengthening significantly. Three great players in Fabinho, Fekir and Keita. Only area they need sorting at the moment is GK and maybe CB. They seem very strong for next season.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
So yeah, I think having Fabinho will be very good for them from a defensive standpoint too, far more than getting more defenders would be.

I would think they will look at forward options, they have a lot of strikers who are average - Ings, Origi, Solanke, Solanke is still very young though. But I can see them offloading the other 2 and trying to get a better fit for the squad - someone who can rotate / help their front 3.

Thinking the same. I feel they will try to offload Ings, Origi and Mignolet while bringing in Fekir or Ziyech and a goalkeeper.

With Fabinho in front of the back four, and a solid GK behind it, I think the quartet of van Dijk, Matip, Lovren, Gomez is fair enough at CB.

They'll have fixed the problem of the front three being their only attacking threat with a more dynamic, better on the ball midfield that will be able to give more impulses through a creative mid/attacker and Keita; these signings will strengthen their bench with Milner, Wijnaldum and Henderson no longer being 1st choice; they'll have a physically imposing DM in Fabinho and a better GK.

This is all very good and early work, but you have to also remember Klopp has been working on that squad for 2,5 seasons now. It's clear it starting to look better in terms of quality and quantity. This also shows that managers need time to assemble a squad tailored to their footballing style that's sufficient in quality and depth - and very much disproves you can just come in sell 11 and bring in another 11 like in FIFA.

Borussin

This is all very good and early work, but you have to also remember Klopp has been working on that squad for 2,5 seasons now. It's clear it starting to look better in terms of quality and quantity. This also shows that managers need time to assemble a squad tailored to their footballing style that's sufficient in quality and depth - and very much disproves you can just come in sell 11 and bring in another 11 like in FIFA.

this is the key part, for all teams - bar maybe the super rich who can buy ready made players in all positions.

It takes time, it's a process, but so long as the process is sound, and the structure is there, it can be done. I see echos of how it's been done at Liverpool to how it was done with us back then - just of course with bigger budget and a slightly different age profile - but that was partly a budget thing too.

But the process is the same - for 3 summers - bring in 2 or 3 key players who have been very specifically targeted for the team, plus a couple squad players, and trim the squad of bulk, and of players you realise are not going to cut it long term. And then add more quality to replace what you have, when you have the money. Yes, it sounds so simple, but so many teams get it wrong.

Everton last season are a great example of getting it wrong, they had the money, and spent it, but they had no structure or method to their spending, ignoring key areas, buying players ill suited to the style they where trying to implement etc. And I would say we where an example of getting it wrong in 2016 too - spending money on ill suited players to appease a coach, and buying in two hugely contrasting age profiles.

lucky7

Champions league final thread is locked but as it turns out...Karius was yet another victim of Ramos in the final. Karius has been tested both after the match and sent to experts in the US for head trauma. He tested positive for concussion 26 times after the match. The elbow occured in the 49th minute. 2 minutes before the Benzema goal.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/sport/foot...-minutes-before-first-mistake-has-been-found/

Hard to tell from this angle on the intent of Ramos here...but the ball is nowhere near.

Borussin

Wow, thats carzy, the hospital that did the testing released a stamement with Karius and Liverpool permission:

Statement regarding Loris Karius From Dr. Ross Zafonte and Lenore Herget, PT, DPT

We have received numerous calls today regarding the health status of Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius. With Mr. Karius’s permission, we are providing information about his medical situation in an effort to prevent, where possible, the dissemination of incomplete or erroneous information.

On May 31, 2018 Mr. Karius underwent a comprehensive examination by Dr. Ross Zafonte and Dr. Lenore Herget in Boston at Massachusetts General Hospital and Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.

After carefully reviewing game film and integrating a detailed history – including his reported present and immediate post-contact subjective symptoms – physical examination and objective metrics, we have concluded that Mr. Karius sustained a concussion during the match May 26, 2018.

At the time of our evaluation, Mr. Karius’s principal residual symptoms and objective signs suggested that visual spatial dysfunction existed and likely occurred immediately following the event. Additional symptomatic and objectively noted areas of dysfunction also persisted. It could be possible that such deficits would affect performance.

We also note that Mr. Karius has reported significant and steady improvement since the concussive event, and we expect him to make a full recovery based on the results of the examination. We expect that with treatment and by following prescribed activity protocols he will continue to improve. We have encouraged vigilance and an emphasis on safety in his eventual return to full activity.

This is the only comment we will be making in relation to this matter. All future media inquiries should be directed to the Liverpool FC Press Office .

Dr. Ross Zafonte

https://www.massgeneral.org/News/newsarticle.aspx?id=6792

There should be better way of dealing with concussion in football, similar to how they do in the NHL where player has to go through tests straight away. They even contact the referee via headset in the NHL to make the player go off for tests. I know its a bit harder in football cos you'd have to sub him off.

Arsenal Quotes

I’ve told Dave to cut off his ponytail. I think it makes him less aerodynamic.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom