• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool: Off You Pop, Klopp

• Thread starter KMC
  • Start date
  • Replies 6,225
  • Views 819,381

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Well Wenger won a trophy in his last two season so.....

I agree with Klopp tho, it's not as if they've spent several hundred million, have a striker who scored over 40 goals last season, have over 100 million worth of midfielders from last summer a lone, have the most expensive CB and the 2nd most expensive keeper ever. Why would people expect them to start winning trophies? It's completely unrealistic. Him saying BOOOOOM every so often is all he needs to deliver imo, what a manager!

BTW, Wenger said top 4 was like winning a trophy about a decade ago now when we were selling our best players and had a positive net spend and he was criticised by the media and pundits all over.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Some managers get their excuses in early, Klopp has been downplaying Liverpool while everyone was hyping them up. Back in 2002 Wenger was hyping up his team to do the impossible and go a season unbeaten, they did it. You have to wonder how smart it is to be telling your players that they're not expected to win trophies or they shouldn't be title favourites. Then again as I said maybe he just wants that excuse because he doesn't want to be seen as a failure. Imagine how stupid Wenger would have looked had we never gone unbeaten after his comments? Some managers have the balls to tell the entire world he believes his side are capable of extraordinary feets.

Godwin1

Very well-known
As entertaining as the premier league is, I have always said that from an organizational / tactical standpoint, teams in the other top leagues in Europe are much better prepared.
The last few games, in particular OL-City and this PSG-Pool have not done much to change that opinion. Yesterday, Liverpool was outmaneuvered and outcoached and Klopp did not seem to have any solution or response.
Why though? Lots of European managers in the premier league, all the top clubs have managers who have had success in the other top leagues. Is it a culture thing that they are unable to break?

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Some managers get their excuses in early, Klopp has been downplaying Liverpool while everyone was hyping them up. Back in 2002 Wenger was hyping up his team to do the impossible and go a season unbeaten, they did it. You have to wonder how smart it is to be telling your players that they're not expected to win trophies or they shouldn't be title favourites. Then again as I said maybe he just wants that excuse because he doesn't want to be seen as a failure. Imagine how stupid Wenger would have looked had we never gone unbeaten after his comments? Some managers have the balls to tell the entire world he believes his side are capable of extraordinary feets.

I wouldn't put that under too much scrutiny in the case of Klopp, it's how he's always handled public pressure and a remnant of his Bundesliga days, I think.

In Germany, the only team entitled to speak about the title in the public/media eye are Bayern. So even if you are performing great, the moment you go out and talk about winning titles you invite massive public and media pressure on your team; the moment you loose you're going to be called out and labelled a buffoon to have the audacity/arrogance to publicly challenge Bayern. Your players will be bombarded with questions about your title challenge and nothing else. Klopp even came out after their first or second BL title and explained this and how he tried to keep as much public and general pressure off the team and individuals, while keeping them focused on playing good football and at the same time also used it to build up pressure inside of the team, until - if they were still on track to winning a title - basically that "inside pressure" eventually blows of the lid towards the end of the season when it can't be contained anymore amongst the squad to give them another mental boost and drag them over the line. Kind of letting the emotion of being able to win the title stir until the consistent performances and success and the genuine closeness to the title really manifest themselves as believe coming from among the squad itself that they will do it, instead of labelling them as challengers from outside in a presser, and then using that boiling point of realization as another motivator from within.

It feels a bit weird in the context of their last season, their spending, their overall squad quality and their current league position, but it's how Klopp has done it and like I said I think it's very much down to how these things work in the Bundesliga and so just the way he's learned to work.

Favre btw does the same right now at Dortmund.

Last edited:

blaze_of_glory

Its all theirs now. Would take a huge collapse in form for them to lose out now I think. They barely get scored on and are improving going forward as the season progresses.

It will be down to whether the players get affected by the pressure as they become bigger and bigger favourites.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
If City beat them at the Etihad it's back on. But huge credit to Klopp and how he's changed Liverpool. They play exciting football, already got to a CL final and are looking to win the Premiership this time.

All that without oil or Russian money. Where we thought it couldn't be done. Or I atleast thought so.

HBL

Established Member
Yeah the game on Thursday is massive, credit to Liverpool they're a top side & Van Dijk made Aubameyang look like a kid at the weekend.

If City win then it is back on, wouldn't surprise me if Pep tries something completely different in regards to formation/players.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Had a though: Isn't the current version of Liverpool basically what Arsenal fans want Arsenal to be from a footballing perspective?

Mostly reliant on the generated revenue but with some investment from the owner etc. The only difference between you and them is that last part, which has been key in securing the last vital parts for Klopp.

It's kind of sad to watch because it makes you realize just how close you are. You have the means to compete but the owner won't allow it and simply doesn't care.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

As entertaining as the premier league is, I have always said that from an organizational / tactical standpoint, teams in the other top leagues in Europe are much better prepared.
The last few games, in particular OL-City and this PSG-Pool have not done much to change that opinion. Yesterday, Liverpool was outmaneuvered and outcoached and Klopp did not seem to have any solution or response.

This is why I still feel our model in CM in superior to Liverpools and most teams in this league .

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
This is why I still feel our model in CM in superior to Liverpools and most teams in this league .

Henderson and Milner are both averages player who should not play for Liverpool tbf, but they are very good in a system Klopp wants them to play they can pressure but their overal qualities are not that good tbf, even dare to stay that the technical level of our midfielders are much higher then Liverpools midfielders are but it all depends on the system and as already mentioned they are playing good in the Klopp system.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Henderson and Milner are both averages player who should not play for Liverpool tbf, but they are very good in a system Klopp wants them to play they can pressure but their overal qualities are not that good tbf, even dare to stay that the technical level of our midfielders are much higher then Liverpools midfielders are but it all depends on the system and as already mentioned they are playing good in the Klopp system.

For the life of me, I can' t understand how the likes of Milner or Henderson are starting over Fabinho. I like Klopp but I question his sanity on this.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
For the life of me, I can' t understand how the likes of Milner or Henderson are starting over Fabinho. I like Klopp but I question his sanity on this.

Could've gotten them the win yesterday. They looked far better once he came on for Milner. The Fabinho treatment is a bit mind boggling, but they're also quite unlucky that Keita has turned out to be a flop as things stand. That' the two signings that should've elevated their midfield further, but half a season in and they're still fielding Henderson and Milner. That's a lot of the 100m invested in them down the drain.

Top Bottom