• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Yes, you did in fact read that right, Karim BENZEMA is now being linked to us!
Arsène WENGER is ready to go head to head with Sir Alex Ferguson for the signaure of Karim Benzema in the knowledge that the 21-year-old France striker would rather join Arsenal this summer than Manchester United.

While Ferguson, the United manager, has already offered Lyons £25.5m, the French club believe they can do better. Keen to ensure his position in France’s 2010 World Cup team, Benzema was initially reluctant to leave this summer, but with Lyons keen to sell, he wants a club where he will be guaranteed first-team football. Though outgunned financially, Arsenal boss Wenger has an edge in that respect over United and Real Madrid.

Arsenal have also been made aware of Benzema’s desire to work with Wenger. A club record offer depends on the sale of Togo striker Emmanuel Adebayor. Arsenal were ready to sell to AC Milan last year and remain keen to offload.

Arsenal are in a hurry as Wenger wants his reinforced squad in place for the start of pre-season training on July 6. In addition to a striker, he seeks a holding midfielder to play alongside Cesc Fabregas to help quell his captain’s concerns about Arsenal’s competitiveness.

Talks are ongoing with Fiorentina over Felipe Melo. The Italians want £21m for the 26-year-old Brazil player. Arsenal are some distance from meeting that valuation, but have offered Philippe Senderos in part-exchange. Melo has also attracted interest from Manchester City, Chelsea and Liverpool, who see him as a potential replacement for Javier Mascherano or Xabi Alonso.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/arsenal/article6591106.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 591106.ece</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AFCFan4Ever

Re: Karim Benzema!

Would only happen if we sold Adebayor and even then, I don't think we'd buy him...only if they gave us some stupid amount like 35 mil.

We surely couldn't buy both him and Melo.

NWgunner

THIS is from the Times? I'm very surpised. Seems tenuous - is it a simple "Arsène Wenger + a french player being expected to leave his club = he's going to Arsenal" thing?

I don't buy into his hype either... he's never excelled at the top level (international). Really can't see it, and don't particularly want him either.

AFCFan4Ever

I just wonder where they get the bit about it being "known" that Benzema wants to work with Wenger.

Mckenna

AFCFan4Ever said:
Would only happen if we sold Adebayor and even then, I don't think we'd buy him...only if they gave us some stupid amount like 35 mil.

We surely couldn't buy both him and Melo.
It wouldn't be like forking out £35m really... It would be like exchanging Adebayor and then paying a little extra. For the increase in quality, I'd be more than willing.

Benzema is the type of class player I aspire to having at our club. He's someone you could build your attack around for the next few years.

However, it's an almost-Sunday transfer rumour... huge pinch of salt. Sigh. Would be great if it were true.

Mckenna

godfather said:
no good enough for us! next

we have a target with that super talent called Chamakh
You are aware that Benzema has scored 50-odd goals in the last 2 seasons, compared to Chamakh's 20, is younger and much higher rated, right?

Why exactly should we aspire to the worse player?

GOONER1991

Established Member

I would be over the moon, if we sold Ade, and replaced him with Benzema. I don't like Ade's attitude, and Wenger himself admitted that his foolishness last season affected the team.

Legend#1

Established Member

Mckenna said:
godfather said:

You are aware that Benzema has scored 50-odd goals in the last 2 seasons, compared to Chamakh's 20, is younger and much higher rated, right?

He was being sarcastic mate.

Mckenna

Legend#1 said:
Mckenna said:
godfather said:

He was being sarcastic mate.
Now that I look at it, maybe he was... It's been a long day. Sorry godfather.

KY

Established Member

i'm actually more excited about the melo link (not that it's actually any new news....except maybe the 21 million thing...)

Mckenna

patrick42uk said:
too good to be true.
So was Reyes (at the time, not in hindsight), Arshavin...

Wenger isn't averse to spending when he thinks it's justified. I think he will ditch Ade, so he has to get someone.

Shadow Moses

Established Member

Not that I believe it for a second but here's another link

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/381175/Arsenal-hunt-Karim-Benzema-Ars%C3%A8ne-Wenger-ready-to-hijack-pound30million-United-move.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/3 ... -move.html</a>

ibby

Established Member

If and only if Adebayor goes then I wouldn't bet against it.

Shadow Moses

Established Member

So let me get this straight. You are against having one of the best young strikers in the world at Arsenal?

ibby

Established Member

Shadow Moses said:
So let me get this straight. You are against having one of the best young strikers in the world at Arsenal?
Too much to drink mate? Read again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom