• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kia Joorabchian's Transfer Targets: January 2020

Which area of the pitch is the biggest priority to improve in January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Maddison would be great, but you’ll value him in the 90-100M range.

Our only chance could be if all the other top clubs are looking elsewhere.

Utd should sign Maddison and Auba. Regular goal scorer and a magician to go along with guys like Rashford.

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
Lehmann (free agent signed in March, if he doesnt count then Warmuz)
Eboue-Campbell-Gabriel-Nacho
Kallstrom-Elneny
Walcott-Arshavin-Reyes
Auba
...wanted Diaby in, but this is probably the best imo.

Thought it was just the January window, oh well, stand by my team :lol:

Winter or summer window.

Did wonder about some of your inclusions, lol. Especially the lack of anyone (Sanchez) from the 2014 summer window. Wow, 6 years ago!!!

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
GK – Bernd Leno 18/19

DL – Nacho Monreal 12/13

DC – Laurent Koscielny 10/11

DC – Per Mertesacker 11/12

DR – Bacary Sagna 07/08

ML – Alexis Sanchez 14/15

MC – Gilberto Silva 02/03

MC – Cesc Fabregas 03/04

MR – Alexandr Hleb 05/06

SC – Van Persie 04/05

SC – Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang 17/18

This is a nice looking team

GDeep™

League is very weak
Lehmann (free agent signed in March, if he doesnt count then Warmuz)
Eboue-Campbell-Gabriel-Nacho
Kallstrom-Elneny
Walcott-Arshavin-Reyes
Auba

...wanted Diaby in, but this is probably the best imo.

Thought it was just the January window, oh well, stand by my team :lol:

Diaby is better than every player in that team except Campbell.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I would be interested, actually. I miss the analytics. Good starting point for a discussion if people dont act like spastics as soon as they are brought up.

Alright, I'm posting this for Dutch D and anyone else who is interested. If you're not interested; if you don't believe analytics are a useful tool; if you put more stock in what some guy on Twitter who is a fan of a team said about one of their players, then just move the frick along. Skip over it. I don't want to hear *****ing and moaning.

Over the past 3 months, Stones ranks as the 5th best CB in the Premier League based on this set of analytics. You can find the methodology here:

https://football-observatory.com/IMG/pdf/note02en.pdf

Screen-Shot-2020-01-15-at-11-40-03-AM.png

Luiz ranks as the 47th best CB in the Premier League over the same period (although it should be noted that he has been better since Arteta took over):

Screen-Shot-2020-01-15-at-11-40-38-AM.png

And just for fun, here is Sokratis, who ranks as the 31st best CB in the PL over the past 3 months.
Screen-Shot-2020-01-15-at-11-52-12-AM.png

And since there's a lot of talk about Maddison today, I'll throw this in too:

Screen-Shot-2020-01-15-at-11-59-46-AM.png

Last edited:

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Alright, I'm posting this for Dutch D and anyone else who is interested. If you're not interested; if you don't believe analytics are a useful tool; if you put more stock in what some guy on Twitter who is a fan of a team said about one of their players, then just move the frick along. Skip over it. I don't want to hear *****ing and moaning.

Over the past 3 months, Stones ranks as the 5th best CB in the Premier League based on this set of analytics. You can find the methodology here:

Luiz ranks as the 47th best CB in the Premier League over the same period (although it should be noted that he has been better since Arteta took over):

And just for fun, here is Sokratis, who ranks as the 31st best CB in the PL over the past 3 months.

And since there's a lot of talk about Maddison today, I'll throw this in too:

Screen-Shot-2020-01-15-at-11-59-46-AM.png

I don't have an issue with stuff like this bit it does come with big caveats.

Analytics add a level of objectivity to player performance. However as you say it is purely retrospective. Stones performing like he is for City doesn't necessarily translate to the same performance or numbers from an analytic point of view for Arsenal.

At the end of the day the deciding factor is judgement and experience in football. Analytics perhaps quantify what good scouts do instinctively. But ultimately it is all down to the eye test.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I don't have an issue with stuff like this bit it does come with big caveats.

Analytics add a level of objectivity to player performance. However as you say it is purely retrospective. Stones performing like he is for City doesn't necessarily translate to the same performance or numbers from an analytic point of view for Arsenal.

At the end of the day the deciding factor is judgement and experience in football. Analytics perhaps quantify what good scouts do instinctively. But ultimately it is all down to the eye test.

Certainly not an exact science. That's why you use this stuff as a tool, then trust in Arteta's judgement.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20

Much appreciated.

It surprises me that the figures for recovery are quite low for all three players. Positional awareness and tactical awareness are twobattributes we desperately need in our next CB. Actually, for Luiz it doesnt surprise me as much. Perhaps its just a stat that's generally lower in this methodology.

Never really rated Stones, but haven't seen much of him this season. Stats look very good though and good age/experience to pair alongside Saliba next season. Arteta of course also has an obvious link so might make sense if at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom