• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu Transfer Targets: Summer 2020

Which signing would you prioritize of the two?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

emilursin

19 year old Norwegian winger George Lewis has just signed for us, his agent has confirmed the deal, he is set to join the u23 team.

Struggled to break into the first team for Fram
Larvik last season, they play in the Norwegian second division (Third tier)

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Why isn't attacking midfield an option for the poll? You could reasonably argue that's our most pressing issue.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Arsenal cant compete with Saint-Etienne for player. Raul has done it again hasnt he?
thats not how it works when it comes to youth signings
young players usually look for guarantees when it comes to game time and its possible that Arsenal couldn't promise him game time that Saint-Etienne could.
Also maybe he didnt want to leave the country at such a young age.
Blaming Raul for this is pretty stupid

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
young players usually look for guarantees when it comes to game time and its possible that Arsenal couldn't promise him game time that Saint-Etienne could.
Don't get sucked in!!

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He's just wumming

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
What I fear is that a lot of talk among fans and all these rumours etc is essentially based on the idea that the club will act this summer in order to improve their football team on the pitch. Whereas ultimately I think on-field improvements will have to come second to financial necessities.

Take the David Luiz situation. If football were the priority, you'd keep him another year. If he leaves, it indicates that right now finances and saving money is the priority. The club might take a short-term hit on the pitch in order to save their financial security amid this pandemic.

And then if Luiz does leave, why on earth would we then go and make a big signing like Partey? Luiz would only leave in order to save on his high wages. If we're in such a dire position that we're cutting our wages like that, we're not gonna be splashing on expensive players.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
To take two examples, we just reportedly signed this George Lewis guy and we're linked to Thomas Partey. I'd be more surprised if our summer business resembled the latter than I would be if it resembled the former.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
What I fear is that a lot of talk among fans and all these rumours etc is essentially based on the idea that the club will act this summer in order to improve their football team on the pitch. Whereas ultimately I think on-field improvements will have to come second to financial necessities.

Take the David Luiz situation. If football were the priority, you'd keep him another year. If he leaves, it indicates that right now finances and saving money is the priority. The club might take a short-term hit on the pitch in order to save their financial security amid this pandemic.

And then if Luiz does leave, why on earth would we then go and make a big signing like Partey? Luiz would only leave in order to save on his high wages. If we're in such a dire position that we're cutting our wages like that, we're not gonna be splashing on expensive players.

The plan was probably to get rid of Sokratis and Mustafi to balance the wage bill and create some funds. With the financial troubles it’s probably going to be impossible to move those two on so you get rid of the one you can, which in this case is Luiz. It doesn’t make sense to keep all 3 of them with Saliba coming in and Mari probably being made permanent. The wage bill needed to be reduced before the financial impact of Covid-19 so it’s no surprise it needs to be done even more so now.

The next year is going to be **** financially but 2021/22 should be back to normal and the wage bill will be reduced by £18m a year with Özil gone. Aubameyang probably reduces it by another £10m. Mustafi and Sokratis will be another £10m. They might look at that and think they can make a big signing and not worry about the wages because we’re one year away from having a much lower wage bill.

Having said that, any deal like Partey will need to be a loan with an obligation or a deal where the fee is minimal up front and then heavily backloaded. The club will need the cash in the bank to pay wages because they won’t be getting that big chunk of cash in the summer that they usually get from ST renewals and corporate seats.

Shalmaneser V

Normally I would be willing to drive Luiz to Benfica myself. There are literally dozens of reasons to let go of him. However there is one major reason that tips the scales in favour of keeping him and that is the fact that he is literally the only genuine leader left in the locker room.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
The plan was probably to get rid of Sokratis and Mustafi to balance the wage bill and create some funds. With the financial troubles it’s probably going to be impossible to move those two on so you get rid of the one you can, which in this case is Luiz. It doesn’t make sense to keep all 3 of them with Saliba coming in and Mari probably being made permanent. The wage bill needed to be reduced before the financial impact of Covid-19 so it’s no surprise it needs to be done even more so now.

The next year is going to be **** financially but 2021/22 should be back to normal and the wage bill will be reduced by £18m a year with Özil gone. Aubameyang probably reduces it by another £10m. Mustafi and Sokratis will be another £10m. They might look at that and think they can make a big signing and not worry about the wages because we’re one year away from having a much lower wage bill.

Having said that, any deal like Partey will need to be a loan with an obligation or a deal where the fee is minimal up front and then heavily backloaded. The club will need the cash in the bank to pay wages because they won’t be getting that big chunk of cash in the summer that they usually get from ST renewals and corporate seats.

Yes you're right, and why would Atletico agree to a deal like that? They have their own financial problems, and they'd want a replacement. Only way you get an easy deal is by paying the release clause and agreeing personal terms, and there's zero chance of us paying the release clause.

The only way I can see a deal happening is they ask for one of our players, probably one of the strikers, and the two clubs agree to a straight swap.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Normally I would be willing to drive Luiz to Benfica myself. There are literally dozens of reasons to let go of him. However there is one major reason that tips the scales in favour of keeping him and that is the fact that he is literally the only genuine leader left in the locker room.
This and the fact that he's our best CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom