• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu Transfer Targets: Summer 2020

Which signing would you prioritize of the two?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Who would you suggest based on what you are saying here? I am all for selling off our CB's and finding a good experienced partner for Saliba, could Thiago Silva on a free work? Also in midfield who would we get? Lastly, I would love Dembele from Lyon here and then we need an Özil replacement?

Okay the way I see it is with Mustafi and Sokratis entering the last year, they need to go. Chambers is recovering and we don't know whether Holding can cut it after his injury. So you sell Mustafi and Sokratis, loan Holding, no point selling Luiz as he won't have value.

RCB: Saliba/ Luiz
LCB: ??????/Mari

It is pretty clear we want a left footed centre back. Id say in the 23-26 age bracket. As far as names go, it would be pointless guessing. I think there is a big chance we get a an unknown in this area, but the main issue is we want a 23 year old who has a lot of experience. Bournemouth are struggling financially, Ake fits the profile. He may not be better than Saliba in the long term, but he will make fewer errors in the short term allowing Saliba to flourish. Upamecano will make a lot of mistakes.

We have to be realistic. What makes a world class centre back is consistency, the low rate of errors, leadership and being able to make game winning decisions. You cannot acquire any of that unless you play a lot of football. You can't be a world class centre back at 18. Think about it. You need to have played against different types of centre forward multiple times, for hundreds of minutes in order to learn what to do and what not to do. You need to deal with a Giroud and an Aguero. When to drop off, when to step up, when to go for the ball, when to cover, when to mark, when to go into wide areas and thats even without considering when to go to ground and when to stay on your feet. You need to make the wrong decisions to learn from them.

Koscielny was a prime example, picking up red cards in his first season, until he gained the experience to know what to do in every situation. Saliba will make mistakes, he needs someone alongside him who can cover for them. That isn't Mari and definitely isn't Upamecano.

Midfield is totally dependent on how Arteta wants to play. Does he want a double pivot or a holder? Does he want a 10 or two 8's. Does he want a 10 who can become an 8 off the ball? I really can't tell you. We won't know till next season. What I would say that no matter who we go for, we lack two things to change the entire shape of our team.

Athleticism and Technical quality.

Torreira, Guendouzi, Xhaka are our central options. None of them have athleticism and none of them have technical quality. We need Thiago/ Cazorla level of technical quality and also Ndidi/Kante levels of athleticism. It is really easy to find a player with athleticism but low levels of technical quality, or technical quality without athleticism. Its really difficult to get both in one player. It just depends how you construct your midfield. Bayern have two diminutive touch players with good speed, which allows them to press. They are not overly athletic, but they are combative. However, in England you need big distance players due to the intensity and speed of the league. Torreira for example gets massively exposed in a double pivot. You could have him at the base, but he isn't progressive enough.

We have been linked to Partey and Zakaria as well as Papa Gueye. Names don't matter. It is the profile of player and how Arteta wants to play. We know he wants a 2-3-5 when we attack. The question is whether he wants inverted full backs or overlapping ones. He views Martinelli as a CF, but will he play him there? He has players to build around, it's more about how clear his idea of playing is.

He compares well to Maddison and Grealish and would probably cost 1/3.

Also does much more defensive work than the other 2.
Wouldn't mind Buendia, but Maddison and Grealish fills up the homegrown quota. Filling up the homegrown quota with finished products instead of academy players will allow us to bring in more foreign youth talent like Martinelli into the first team.

benjamin86

Established Member
Wouldn't mind Buendia, but Maddison and Grealish fills up the homegrown quota. Filling up the homegrown quota with finished products instead of academy players will allow us to bring in more foreign youth talent like Martinelli into the first team.
Won't be much money left if it's all spent on Maddison or Grealish. (I don't think Maddison would come here anyway it's currently a side step)

Won't be much money left if it's all spent on Maddison or Grealish. (I don't think Maddison would come here anyway it's currently a side step)
I know, but its the only way we will get a grip on our finances and results. Half our first team consists of 16-20 year old sub-par academy players because we need to fill the quota. We basically got no squad depth.

What we need to get to stable financially and results wise, is to invest in established English players for several seasons, until at least half of our starters are homegrown. At the same time, find young bargains like Martinelli and Guendouzi, and later sell them on and reinvest. Dortmund model.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Tbf Jack’s doing his part to make a move happen by breaking quarantine to go on the sesh and crash his car. Bringing that value right down for us.

I think Buendia is a solid buy though, kind of player you pick up for 15M then he’s suddenly worth double that in a couple of years.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Tbf Jack’s doing his part to make a move happen by breaking quarantine to go on the sesh and crash his car. Bringing that value right down for us.

I think Buendia is a solid buy though, kind of player you pick up for 15M then he’s suddenly worth double that in a couple of years.

Is Buendia all that? Everyone got hyped over his stats but they completely dropped off.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Is Buendia all that? Everyone got hyped over his stats but they completely dropped off.

He’s not Grealish level but he’s decent value, probably better than anyone we have on the ball apart from Özil tbf.

benjamin86

Established Member
I like him a lot, he's definitely worth a punt at 20-25m. On his stats dropping off, he's at the bottom club in the league who have scored 25 this season, he's assisted almost 1/3 of their goals.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone

#WelcomeUnai again

7846ec3d-5dac-454c-877c-e70ed66a4a28.gif

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Being linked to Lingard..

If that happens I think I'll follow GDeep in the religious beliefs of Fabio in having such positivity towards our current players and future of the team.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser

If that happens I think I'll follow GDeep in the religious beliefs of Fabio in having such positivity towards our current players and future of the team.
Half of my support in Manchester as we speak depending on this.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Özil out for Lingard. Arteta revolution. Would be comedic, but no chance this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom