• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu Transfer Targets: Summer 2020

Which signing would you prioritize of the two?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepe, Tierney, Ceballos, Saliba were all wanted by other clubs in the CL.

Disagree, nobody wanted them, hence they ended up at Arsenal. We should have taken the hint when Bayern and Liverpool decided to leave Pepe alone. 80 M wasted. Hopefully we are smarter next window!

GDeep™

League is very weak
Pepe, Tierney, Ceballos, Saliba were all wanted by other clubs in the CL.
There is always interest in players from many clubs but I don’t remember fierce competition for the above players. We paid big for all of them which secured them.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Disagree.

Tierney and Martinelli were good transfers. One could argue whether the money for Saliba and David Luiz should have been invested in a CB who would've been at the club this season already. I guess Ceballos on loan was a neat idea at first, but tbh in hindsight he's the completely wrong profile to replace Ramsey. But it's all so so, stuff like this can happen - you pull off two good transfers and some more questionable ones.

But the Pepe transfer is shambolic and he really is only at Arsenal because no one else was willing to overpay so heavily. Nothing against the player and I firmly believe he's going to be a good Arsenal player down the line, but in no world was that guy worth 80m. No other club was touching him with even a stick for that price.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Tierney and Martinelli were good transfers. One could argue whether the money for Saliba and David Luiz should have been invested in a CB who would've been at the club this season already. I guess Ceballos on loan was a neat idea at first, but tbh in hindsight he's the completely wrong profile to replace Ramsey. But it's all so so, stuff like this can happen - you pull off two good transfers and some more questionable ones.

But the Pepe transfer is shambolic and he really is only at Arsenal because no one else was willing to overpay so heavily. Nothing against the player and I firmly believe he's going to be a good Arsenal player down the line, but in no world was that guy worth 80m. No other club was touching him with even a stick for that price.
What we spent on Pepe was more than our average spend on transfers over the 22 years Wenger was here.

For that price a player must deliver 30-40 goal contributions in his first season.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

We wanted Saliba at the club no doubt, and he's regarded as one of if not the best under 20 talent in football, for a defender. I can see why we didn't want to let him go, after we then tried to bring Upamecano but rejected and ended up replacing Kos with a similar body.

I still convince myself the Pepe transfer wasn't shambolic though. Did we over pay? Yes, by loads? I am not so sure. We'd of payed the same price for Zaha but one has bags more potential and has had a better season in G+A so far. You also have to look it from the boards perspective in my opinion. Everyone knew we were crying out for creativity, goals, assists, speed and directness from the wings, before Pepe joined Arsenal, he had all of that and more after an incredible season at Lille. In my opinion the reason we over payed and other clubs didn't pull the trigger on him is because for that money, they simply had more important areas.

I think last season the majority agreed a goal scoring winger and top CB were about as vital as each other, we went big on the winger and even tried for the CB.

I do understand for 72M we should see more from Pepe, but I see why we made the transfer and I'll stand by us having a strong window last season.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Losing Ramsey for free and not replacing him, selling Iwobi and not replacing him etc were big mistakes by us.

Losing Ramsey was down to Gazidis really, it was too little to late for the new board. Either a massive massive salary or let him go. Should of signed him years back.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Losing Ramsey for free and not replacing him, selling Iwobi and not replacing him etc were big mistakes by us.

The whole Ramsey affair was absolutely bizarre tbf. While basically letting go of Mkhitaryan and Iwobi, our only two wide players from 18/19 and only bringing in Pepe again was absolutely horrendous mis-management. Imagine going into a season with no LW, it's actually criminal. Can't believe the usual suspects give the board a pass, then again when they're being paid by he club of course they will.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Mesut 350k/week Özil has only assisted 4 league goals in two seasons, yet you’re still sucking him off like there’s no tomorrow .
That’s because of your boy Emery though, dropping him/employing bum tactics. Remember when you and your bum crowd were championing him dropping Özil and keeping him out the team? @yousif_arsenal really enjoyed it if I remember correctly.

B77

Quite like him aswell. There have been a bit of papertalk, but nothing concrete. Think he has the potentiel to rack up a nice pile of goals/assists, on a more offensive minded and creative team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom