• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kieran Tierney: Top Tier

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
There's some selective memory going around here. Tierney is solid enough defensively most of the time, but he's been turned inside out by Mahrez, Salah, Adama Traore. He's not a Maldini type defensive machine that some of you are making him out to be.

Tavarez is worse defensively but you have to balance that against what he brings offensively. My biggest criticism of Tierney is that he's too one dimensional - get to the byline, cross, repeat. He is a great crosser but none of our forwards are good at attacking high crosses, so it's a wasted skill. Tavarez brings us more combination play, ball carrying and composure. He needs to cut out the constant long shots though.

Competition is a good thing. Arteta got it right to keep Tavarez in. Hopefully Tierney has been watching Nuno and sees what he's been lacking, and vice versa. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tierney start against United.

I don't disagree with the majority of what you've said but I don't think anyone's claiming Tierney is an elite level defender, he's not. He's above average but really good players will cause him problems defensively. That's to be expected.

There's a difference between that though and Tavares making just really basic errors in terms of positioning, decision making, concentration etc. The fact he's good going forward and fun to watch seems to gloss over all the basic defensive stuff he's not good at in a lot of people's eyes.

That bad mistake against Liverpool probably didn't affect the result, in a nip and tuck match against Man Utd a similar sort of mistake like that may well do and he has those basic mistakes in him at this stage of his development.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I don't disagree with the majority of what you've said but I don't think anyone's claiming Tierney is an elite level defender, he's not. He's above average but really good players will cause him problems defensively. That's to be expected.

There's a difference between that though and Tavares making just really basic errors in terms of positioning, decision making, concentration etc. The fact he's good going forward and fun to watch seems to gloss over all the basic defensive stuff he's not good at in a lot of people's eyes.

That bad mistake against Liverpool probably didn't affect the result, in a nip and tuck match against Man Utd a similar sort of mistake like that may well do and he has those basic mistakes in him at this stage of his development.
See I don't like this because there is plenty Tierney has done in his 2 years here that gets favourably glossed over too. A lot of it purely cause he's likeable as well, it's not even stuff confined to what happens on the pitch.

I think just let the lads play, Tierney will get his place back eventually but his fans have to accept he's got more of a fight on his hands than we all first thought.

I have never rated certain aspects of Tierney from morning, I've never rated some of the fans carry on regarding him either, but I'd be lying if I saw comp in the form of Nuno coming. That's football.

mirrorstares

Seems he lost the fans and due to the nature of how Tavares plays, he will be in this dilemma whenever he gets injured, which unfortunately for him happens pretty often

If I was him I would submit a transfer request, take my tesco bag elsewhere

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
He did start falling over at every contact like he plays for Barcelona.
He’s been a diver the whole time he’s been here, people are just easily fooled with the whole ‘role up your sleeves’ image. I’m a huge fan of Tierney and diving’s necessary for the cause but being real he’s the biggest diver at the club.

mirrorstares

He’s been a diver the whole time he’s been here, people are just easily fooled with the whole ‘role up your sleeves’ image. I’m a huge fan of Tierney and diving’s necessary for the cause but being real he’s the biggest diver at the club.
We're a bunch of divers now tbh, have been since 4 or so weeks after Arteta started managing.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

We're a bunch of divers now tbh, have been since 4 or so weeks after Arteta started managing.
Ever since we got bumped at Wolves last season we have certainly ramped up the play acting a bit.

Tierney and Laca are by far the most theatrical though. Martinelli usually spends a good 10 mins on the ground at some point too, I actually forgot that’s his thing until last weekend.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
First off, I hope he's fully fit and over his latest injury. I respect him for all the good things he's done, but this isn't Ashley Cole we're benching. Defensively, he made a couple of costly errors iirc. Compared to Tomi as an example, he cuts out fewer crosses too. His crosses are hit and miss. Some are to nobody or cut out. Others are great if Giroud was still here. Attacking recently, I've seen him run forward and then turn back and pass. Thats not good enough. He needs to mix it up or take on more 1v1. Ive also questioned his technical ability as he seems a one trick pony. He's also looked gassed and incapable of getting back when he is up the pitch. Our style has evolved pretty quickly tbh and without Xhaka, he maybe has to do a bit more himself. After being out so long, he may start vs Utd and last 60 minutes. I think if he does, the focus should be on him defending abd passing forward in to midfield just yo keep it simple. This reminds me of the Debuchy/Bellerin situation. He doesn't just walk back in.

mirrorstares

Compared to the alternative yes, it is Ashley Cole we're benching

Your analogy is brilliant, people overrated Debuchy so much back then it was hilarious.

mpower2540

Am I way off here in saying Tavares really isn’t as bad at defending as people are making out? I’ve barely seen him get skinned one on one since he’s been here. Positionally a bit suspect maybe? But he’s saved us a fair few times with his recovery speed.

We’ve got two very good left backs and Tierney seems the type of character that will enjoy the challenge that Nuno is giving him. Gonna enjoy the battle

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I always thought Lacazette was the worst tbh. Man really sells it with the way he screams.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Almost like being in a twilight zone reading comments here and then the comments on this video. A video where he rarely just kicks and runs to the byline smashing in a cross.

A small dip inform and he has went from future captain and one of the best left backs in the league to not good enough. Form is temporary class is permanent. Tierney alongside Saka have been our two best players for a long time and oddly enough both have had a drop in form. It's tough carrying a team.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
The thing with Tierney is he's a hard worker. Tavares taking his place is going to really set a fire under him I think.

So the situation as it is is probably quite good for us.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Almost like being in a twilight zone reading comments here and then the comments on this video. A video where he rarely just kicks and runs to the byline smashing in a cross.

A small dip inform and he has went from future captain and one of the best left backs in the league to not good enough. Form is temporary class is permanent. Tierney alongside Saka have been our two best players for a long time and oddly enough both have had a drop in form. It's tough carrying a team.
On AM a modern fullback can't give perfect passes to the center. They have to do something else. The game has changed. Perfect passes make no sense anymore.

Top Bottom