• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Kieran Tierney (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Anyone else would demand 50m and say it with their chest, you just know we’ll shake on 30m and think we’re master negotiators. We somehow manage to rationalise selling very good players for peanuts, when similar sums have been paid for utter dross. Wolves spent 35m on that useless striker who’s now on loan in Belgium.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Anything else than 45 million and we're the biggest mugs in the world.

How so? City sold us a better left back for 35m. Tierney is an injury prone player who's unwanted by his manager and going to a club who can't spend that much because of FFP. You can never extort a maximum fee in such circumstances. If we get a fee that matches the Zinchenko fee we will have done well

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Unless he's really unhappy I wouldn't sell him. We'll need players of his calibre in the CL next year. Any injury to Zinchenko and he'll fill in well.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Anyone else would demand 50m and say it with their chest, you just know we’ll shake on 30m and think we’re master negotiators. We somehow manage to rationalise selling very good players for peanuts, when similar sums have been paid for utter dross. Wolves spent 35m on that useless striker who’s now on loan in Belgium.

Those sort of arguments work both ways though. The player (Zinchenko) we replaced him with cost £30m so they could argue £50m for the ****ter backup is a piss-take.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
How so? City sold us a better left back for 35m. Tierney is an injury prone player who's unwanted by his manager and going to a club who can't spend that much because of FFP. You can never extort a maximum fee in such circumstances. If we get a fee that matches the Zinchenko fee we will have done well
Just because City sold him for that doesn't mean we have to too.

going to a club who can't spend that much because of FFP.

Well then don't sell him to a club who can't spend much. Tierney's got 3 years on his contract. Unless he hands in a transfer request we've got the upper hand here.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
City don't haggle with the fees. If they feel a player is disposable they just let them go for a moderately acceptable fee. Look at Cancelo for example, shipped out on loan in the blink of an eye. We don't have to follow the same policy. We are not desperate to sell. We sell Tierney we need to go and get a backup anyway. If anything we should fleece the Sheikhs.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Yeah no point selling for so little unless he asks for it.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Problem with keeping KT around is that he's not going to be starting in this system. Minimal gametime means lower value when we do decide to cash in down the line.

As a conventional LB he's top 3-4 in the PL but as an inverted LB he's pretty poor. Just doesn't have it in his game sadly.

We're better off selling and buying a player that may be a bit weaker overall but comfortable with the inverted role.

We're trying to stick a square peg in a round hole with KT in this system.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Guy doesn’t play, is on high wages and doesn’t seem to be able to play out from the back which is a deal breaker for the kind of teams who can afford him except Newcastle who aren’t quite there yet on the pitch.

Think they’re the only real buyer here and so no bidding war which means modest fee. Add on Edu tax and we’re looking at 25M, MAX.

BIoodBrother

Those sort of arguments work both ways though. The player (Zinchenko) we replaced him with cost £30m so they could argue £50m for the ****ter backup is a piss-take.
That would mean we can't demand more than 4million for ESR since the player we replaced him with cost 5.

Zinchenkos value has gone up to at least 55 since then and was a steal anyway.
Tierney is as solid as it gets for LBs, is just at the wrong club that wants half a central midfielder there.
Anything less than 35 would be ridiculous. He's developed very well. There was no guarantee that he would succeed when he moved from Celtic. He has 3years left as well apparently but I would demand 35+ at 2 years, so I'd just keep him for another year at least.
I would love for him to stay. We will likely replace him with someone worse.

Goonger

How do we go about replacing him? We might want someone more suited to the system, but is there any left backs out there more suited to the system?

blaze_of_glory

Well we just say no in that case. Remember, he was one of our most important players before we signed Zinchenko and changed the system, and there was even talk of him becoming captain. Teams will know his quality and we should get paid for it.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Unless he's really unhappy I wouldn't sell him. We'll need players of his calibre in the CL next year. Any injury to Zinchenko and he'll fill in well.
I'd agree with this, had it not been for this inverted left back thing. Tierney looked completely lost when he was asked to play that role.

To a certain extent he is a victim of our system at the moment.

blaze_of_glory

I'd agree with this, had it not been for this inverted left back thing. Tierney looked completely lost when he was asked to play that role.

To a certain extent he is a victim of our system at the moment.
Yeah I think if we keep him then Arteta should just abandon the inverted thing when he plays. Get the best out of the players on the pitch, don't force things that aren't there. KT is one of the best overlapping LBs there is, get him doing that.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yeah I think if we keep him then Arteta should just abandon the inverted thing when he plays. Get the best out of the players on the pitch, don't force things that aren't there. KT is one of the best overlapping LBs there is, get him doing that.
I'm just not sure how that would impact Xhaka, he'd have to adjust or the space which he leaves when he goes forward would be left vacated. It would take some adjustment.

I suspect Arteta would be more willing to sell Tierney. We'll see.

blaze_of_glory

I'm just not sure how that would impact Xhaka, he'd have to adjust or the space which he leaves when he goes forward would be left vacated. It would take some adjustment.
Yeah it may be more complicated than I imagine to just switch, which may be part of why we haven't done it. We'll need to find someone who can play that inverted role if Arteta really doesn't want to ever abandon it. Just can't imagine anyone doing it with the same effectiveness as Zinchenko, the guy is totally unique.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
It's the same situation as Tavares really. Neither are suitable for the specific LB role that Arteta wants to employ. Doesn't mean either are poor players but it's not really worth keeping them around and letting them devalue each year with minimal game time.

Sell those two and bring in a back up comfortable playing the inverted LB role. They don't have to be Zinchenko standard, just above average.

Personally I'll be sad to see KT go as I like him as a player and personality and he's done nothing wrong but you've got to be a bit cutthroat when trying to create a top, top squad and his skillset just isn't what we're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom