• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Kieran Tierney (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonger

I think we have options at right back on the market to play the inverted role, guys like Fresneda and Liveramento look very good young footballing full backs that could take that role.

There's just no-one coming to mind that fulfills that role from left back, although I won't pretend my knowledge is great, but City seem to have not solved their left back issues over the years.

Could Kiwior play that role? How does his profile compare with someone like Martinez who we looked to be trying to sign for that role?

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Don't necessarily need another inverted left-back, a more traditional overlapping fullback could also be very useful for some games.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Those sort of arguments work both ways though. The player (Zinchenko) we replaced him with cost £30m so they could argue £50m for the ****ter backup is a piss-take.

He’s not a worse player than Zinchenko though it’s just the coach has moved to a very particular style that doesn’t suit him. Tierney is an excellent orthodox fullback, we all know he’d do very well at Newcastle in that system.

Iwobeast

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
Yeah he doesn't fit the system but defensively he's still an excellent fullback. He is the first guy I'd bring on to defend a lead. I'd keep him if we could as it provides a lot of tactical flexibility, but he should enjoy regular football and be a starter at Newcastle.

Wagwaan

Don't necessarily need another inverted left-back, a more traditional overlapping fullback could also be very useful for some games.

I agree, Tierney gives you options.

I personally think moving Tomiyasu on and finding a player that can play the inverted role from the right side would be more beneficial.

LittleMo

Tbh I think playing Tomi ahead of him kind of suggests to me Arteta wants him out. I’d be surprised if that’s what tips the balance for him in leaving, 3rd choice in the league isn’t great.

LittleMo

Yeah, the Tomi stuff is weird to me. No way is he a better traditional LB than KT.

I’m not sure it’s even worked all that well. You can make a case for it working at Liverpool (although given how rubbish they’ve been it makes it a bit less of an achievement) but against for example Southampton, I thought we missed the attack down the left and the control in midfield. It might have helped get full points.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I’m not sure it’s even worked all that well. You can make a case for it working at Liverpool (although given how rubbish they’ve been it makes it a bit less of an achievement) but against for example Southampton, I thought we missed the attack down the left and the control in midfield. It might have helped get full points.

For a specific man marking defensive job against Salah, yeah maybe.

Apart from that Tomi is fairly limited on the ball generally. It's even worse when he's playing on the left. You don't get much out of him at all going forwards.

BenTal

Player:Zinchenko
KT will be sold, and I think getting 35m for him is a good business. Remember that KT is extremely unreliable as he won't be able to stay fit for a single season. I'm happy to get a reasonable amount for him and use the fund to get a young talent. Tomi has not been great this season, but he can cover both RB and LB relatively ok. His recent form is a concern, but he could stop Salah earlier this season. I'm sure he will find his good form again.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Trippier x Tierney is very similar to Robbo x Trent style wise.

You have a Scottish up and down left back who’s good both ways, and then an English RB with an amazing delivery.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

So... Kieran Tierney?

😂
On less wages and with potential.

Any fullback that's comfortable playing possession football should be able to play the inverted FB role to some success, ZInchenko just takes it to the next level by actually being a midfielder.

KT on the other hand just panics too much in possession and doesn't have the composure to play the role.

DuBB

On less wages and with potential.

Any fullback that's comfortable playing possession football should be able to play the inverted FB role to some success, ZInchenko just takes it to the next level by actually being a midfielder.

KT on the other hand just panics too much in possession and doesn't have the composure to play the role.

I don't think that's a fair assessment, and harsh on Tierney. It doesn't have to do with composure. He's quite a composed player.

Yes, we play what could be defined as "possession football" as in we have most of the possession.

But what we really play is "probing football". When we have the ball anywhere beyond the halfway line, all of our forward players are on high alert for gaps, openings and cracks.

So simply being a fullback comfortable with the ball at your feet is one thing, but being able to spot a gap and slide the ball into it as quickly as you saw it is another.

Take Saka's goal against Everton as an example. Zinny didn't get that assist simply because he was an inverted FB who happened to be in that position and is good with the ball, it's because he released the ball in-between the FB and CB as quickly as he saw that there was a gap.

When Tierney came on in the closing minutes, he was actually spraying passes to the wings with ease... did it about twice or three times. He was standing in the centre circle and available to receive the ball just like Zinny does, but what Tierney can't do (and to be fair, even midfielders we have like Lokonga and Elneny) is receive the ball and have a picture in your mind of 2 things you could do with it, and 2 people you could give it to as the ball is rolling to your feet.

That's not down to panicking or not having potential. It's down to the fact that it isn't his style. Even certain attacking midfielders don't possess that vision and timing. Which is why they excel at finishing chances and not creating them.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He will barely play if we sell him to Newcastle anyway.

Don't even think he is injury prone, he just gets sick all the time as he constantly wears shorts and t-shirts when it's raining and freezing.

He will die doing that in Geordie-land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom