• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Kieran Tierney (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Yes like the great Gatsby our dream is always so close that we can never quite grasp it.

Stick with Tierney, loan Nuno and if we can buy a better option than Tierney buy him and then see how it goes. It's better having a good player for 25/30 games than a lesser one for 50. The first means you need a good back-up, the second means you need a better first XI.

I don't know of any better left-back than Tierney who will be prepared to join a club outside the CL for six years and if there is any he would probably demand ridicuolous money. And we'd STILL need a decent back-up.
He has averaged just over 21 PL games a season. Thats just over half the games.

Now if we factor in when he returns from injury he isn't 100% out of those 21 games he plays a season you are probably getting what 16-17 games fully fit.

That isn't a small sample size. That's his 3 years at Arsenal. And he had his problems at Celtic. Those aren't going to improve as he gets older. All the opposite. If someone is throwing £50m down on the table today you have to accept it in my opinion.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
We bought him for what, £30 mil ? Feels like he's played about half the available games. Out injured for long periods CONSTANTLY. If we were offered £50 mil for him we'd be fools to turn it down.

Can pick up a better replacement who hopefully less injury risk. Remember we actually bought whilst he was out injured for Celtic. Red flag.

BTW...he's one of my fave players, love his no nonsense attitude & no frills personality, but he's just not reliable.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
The problem with selling KT for £50m is that it will likely cost a similar amount to adequately replace him. I don’t see the point.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
Possible replacements with the required quality:

Zinchenko
Cucurella
Renan Lodi
Angelino
Grimaldo
Gaya

Couldn’t see us getting any of these guys for under £40mil.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
The problem with selling KT for £50m is that it will likely cost a similar amount to adequately replace him. I don’t see point.
No it wouldn't. Brighton didn't pay £50m for Cucurella. We bought Tomi (yes RB) for 16m. There's players out there if you look. Sp**s didnt pay 50m for Reguillon (don't think he's as good as Tierney but isn't a bad LB).

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
No it wouldn't. Brighton didn't pay £50m for Cucurella. We bought Tomi (yes RB) for 16m. There's players out there if you look.

I’d be hugely surprised if Brighton would be willing to allow Cucurella to leave for anything less than 40m.

Yes there are hidden gems out there like Tomiyasu. But they’re rare to find and always more of a gamble. The more proven players with like for like quality to KT won’t come cheap.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I’d be hugely surprised if Brighton would be willing to allow Cucurella to leave for anything less than 40m.

Yes there are hidden gems out there like Tomiyasu. But they’re rare to find and always more of a gamble. The proven players with like for like quality to KT won’t come cheap.
But is it more of a gamble keeping a player who has proven he cannot stay fit for more than about 55% of your bread and butter PL games not to mention the amount he's missing cups/if we are in Europe etc? 3 years on the trot he has missed a huge amount of games.

Is the gamble not bigger saying no to 50m and sitting for the next 2 or 3 years with a crock?

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

He's clearly quality and a top 4 left back. Was crazy overrated at one stage though, you can be good and overrated.

I wouldn't sell him unless a better or similar level came in anyways, that's not easy to find although eventually we would have to do it anyways. He will stand out more as the technical floor starts increasing and he starts to stick out.
Id say its about balance. If Tierney is told to defend well, attack from deep, get up and down the line and create chances for players that thrives in the box then he will stand out in his own right.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
I like the guy but I think he is injury prone if we had a big offer I would say sell.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

He's probably one of the only players I'd be happy replacing Tierney with. However I expect Brighton would demand a huge fee for him.

They held out for £50 million for Ben White.

I hope they demand a similar fee on top of Edu & Tets coughing up a kidney each!

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Possible replacements with the required quality:

Zinchenko
Cucurella
Renan Lodi
Angelino
Grimaldo
Gaya

Couldn’t see us getting any of these guys for under £40mil.
Lodli is on his way to Newcastle actually. So Tierney rumour makes no sense

Tom Mix

Yes there are hidden gems out there like Tomiyasu. But they’re rare to find and always more of a gamble. The more proven players with like for like quality to KT won’t come cheap.
Except our hidden gem Tomiyasu has the same problem as Tierney - keeping fit.

I think people need to wake up and realise who and where we are. We are, at best, the 15th most attractive team in Europe for a player so you are in theory looking at being able to sign somewhere between the 16th and 30th best left back available. Add to that the fact that the really big teams will have a good left back happy to sit on the bench and wait for his chance and that puts us even lower in the pecking order.

It isn't easy when you are not a desirable destination. Might be better off changing physios.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Except our hidden gem Tomiyasu has the same problem as Tierney - keeping fit.

I think people need to wake up and realise who and where we are. We are, at best, the 15th most attractive team in Europe for a player so you are in theory looking at being able to sign somewhere between the 16th and 30th best left back available. Add to that the fact that the really big teams will have a good left back happy to sit on the bench and wait for his chance and that puts us even lower in the pecking order.

It isn't easy when you are not a desirable destination. Might be better off changing physios.
Football is not that simple and we not talking about robots here. This is where great scouting and more importantly great coaching comes in. Brighton bought him a year ago for 15 million. Now a year later he is strongly linked with city. This defeats team rankings and only getting certain player.

We spent 100 million on Ramsdale, white and tomiyasu and conceded 9 goals more in the league. Defensively didn’t improve one bit

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
Football is not that simple and we not talking about robots here. This is where great scouting and more importantly great coaching comes in. Brighton bought him a year ago for 15 million. Now a year later he is strongly linked with city. This defeats team rankings and only getting certain player.

We spent 100 million on Ramsdale, white and tomiyasu and conceded 9 goals more in the league. Defensively didn’t improve one bit
Re the defence & leaking more goals.

I was going to say a lot of that is due to lack of depth & having poor backups, but then realised previous season was no different & we probably had worse players.

I think our defensive unit will be really good when they all start playing reguarly with each other. Just need KT & Tomi to stay fit!

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
A player that averages 50% of the games played per season. No one will pay 20 for him.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Re the defence & leaking more goals.

I was going to say a lot of that is due to lack of depth & having poor backups, but then realised previous season was no different & we probably had worse players.

I think our defensive unit will be really good when they all start playing reguarly with each other. Just need KT & Tomi to stay fit!
KT was injury prone in his Celtics days and tomiyasu looks injury prone. I don’t think we can rely on either to play 45-50 games. So I expect the same next season tbh.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
KT was injury prone in his Celtics days and tomiyasu looks injury prone. I don’t think we can rely on either to play 45-50 games. So I expect the same next season tbh.
Its rare that full backs can manage that though. Roberston is the only exception it seems, but when you look at top full backs. James, Trent, Chillwell, Shaw and so on. They tend to get injured frequently as it is physically demanding, When we talk about back ups, being able to swap your fullbacks with no change in playing style is the most important factor.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Its rare that full backs can manage that though. Roberston is the only exception it seems, but when you look at top full backs. James, Trent, Chillwell, Shaw and so on. They tend to get injured frequently as it is physically demanding, When we talk about back ups, being able to swap your fullbacks with no change in playing style is the most important factor.
Tierney is averaging 21 league games a season. We cant continue with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom