• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kieran Tierney: Tesco’s Finest

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

iu

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

please subscribe so we can get the interview

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Think he announces himself to the rest of the league this year. There might be a little dip in there somewhere but I can't imagine it happening.

Hope we switch to 4 at the back.
Of course we're switching to a back four.

With the players we're linked with, u don't see us playing a back five tbh

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I hope he stays injury free and kicks on. He's good defensively (could be better 1v1 at times) and keeps providing offensively. No complaints about this fella.

Manberg

Predator

Popular podcast for Scottish football, two ex-Celtic youth players. Some interesting points from KT you guys might enjoy. Best of luck this season, looks like Arteta has you kicking on!

He's saying he got thousands of death threats upon leaving Celtic and even got "Judas" spray-painted outside his family's house, to the point that he's scared of going back.
Is this really how scummy your fan base is? I think it's disgusting. Uncalled for.

He's saying he got thousands of death threats upon leaving Celtic and even got "Judas" spray-painted outside his family's house, to the point that he's scared of going back.
Is this really how scummy your fan base is? I think it's disgusting. Uncalled for.

99% of Celtic fans are not like that, unfortunately there is the vocal minority who will always be there who can be very scummy, The majority of fans do not like them.

That element of the support believed that he was one of them, in the sense that as such a big Celtic fan he'd never want to leave. They took it personally when he left and were hurt and lashed out.

I think it's horrible that happened to his house and that he got threats like that. When he comes back to Celtic Park he will be warmly welcomed back, he's loved here and hopefully he will be able to come back at the end of this season to celebrate a record which he played a huge part in setting.

Manberg

Predator
99% of Celtic fans are not like that, unfortunately there is the vocal minority who will always be there who can be very scummy, The majority of fans do not like them.

That element of the support believed that he was one of them, in the sense that as such a big Celtic fan he'd never want to leave. They took it personally when he left and were hurt and lashed out.

I think it's horrible that happened to his house and that he got threats like that. When he comes back to Celtic Park he will be warmly welcomed back, he's loved here and hopefully he will be able to come back at the end of this season to celebrate a record which he played a huge part in setting.

He said it was thousands of tweets and threats. It makes no sense to be that angry about a player leaving for a foreign league. If he left to go to Rangers I'd understand. It wouldn't excuse threats but I'd understand the anger. But there's no rivalry between Arsenal and Celtic. We got angry when RVP left Arsenal to join Fergie's Utd. Similarly, we'd be angry if a top player left for Sp**s (hopefully not). Many would act on their anger and issue threats. But to treat a player leaving to go to a bigger club (no disrespect) in that way, comes across as nothing but classless and scummy. I don't know if it's a cultural thing, maybe you Scots need to keep your emotions in check. Think about how Tierney must've felt reading all those comments, coming from supporters of the club he loved and gave everything for. It no doubt affected him and it's sad to hear. I want to give him a hug.

The interview/podcast was a good watch. I got some good insight on the going ons at Arsenal. Thanks for that.

He said it was thousands of tweets and threats. It makes no sense to be that angry about a player leaving for a foreign league. If he left to go to Rangers I'd understand. It wouldn't excuse threats but I'd understand the anger. But there's no rivalry between Arsenal and Celtic. We got angry when RVP left Arsenal to join Fergie's Utd. Similarly, we'd be angry if a top player left for Sp**s (hopefully not). Many would act on their anger and issue threats. But to treat a player leaving to go to a bigger club (no disrespect) in that way, comes across as nothing but classless and scummy. I don't know if it's a cultural thing, maybe you Scots need to keep your emotions in check. Think about how Tierney must've felt reading all those comments, coming from supporters of the club he loved and gave everything for. It no doubt affected him and it's sad to hear. I want to give him a hug.

The interview/podcast was a good watch. I got some good insight on the going ons at Arsenal. Thanks for that.

We have a very big fan-base, and he'll have also have had thousands of tweets wishing him well (including mine). Celtic fans to this day still love him and we were all cheering him on to win the FA Cup with you guys as we want him to have a successful career. I agree that the anger and the threats don't make sense and I'd never grudge a player moving on to what is undoubtedly a much higher standard of league (we'll avoid comparing sizes..) But you can look back on my posts here from when I was posting prior to his signing to see that throughout the whole thing I (who I think am fairly reflective of most Celtic fans, I'm a member of a few Celtic forums) was nothing but respectful.

I don't condone the threats, or the defacing of property which took place when he left, but I don't think it's reflective of the majority of Celtic supporters. But as you're specifically asking why some fans reacted like that, this is my understanding of where they're coming from:

I think what's hard to understand for people not from Glasgow is that a lot of fans come from a lower-working class background and for many the football and successes of Celtic are in many ways their only escape from an otherwise tough slog in their day-to-day lives. The East End of Glasgow has areas which are among the most deprived in Europe, for context. A lot of these people will have substance abuse problems be that drugs, alcohol, or both.

For guys like that Celtic is more than just their football club, it's their religion and a way of life. These are the guys who It's absolutely inconceivable to guys like that for a home-grown player who lives and breathes Celtic like Tierney does to even consider leaving. They projected themselves onto him, he was living the dream of each and every one of them in having grown up supporting the club and giving everything he had for the jersey, they expected him to stay for his career and captain the club, no matter how unrealistic that was. When he left, it shattered that, and they lashed out.

I don't think, a year on from him leaving, most of those people grudge him it anymore - we invested the money well to strengthen the squad and he's already won a trophy so it ended up benefitting everyone. There will obviously be a few fans who will never let it go, but they'll be a very small number.

Probably doesn't help that these fans all saw videos of him as a youth team player as it just fed into their belief:

and he also featured in a Japanese documentary about Shunsuke Nakamura, 5 minutes into this video:

Last edited:

Manberg

Predator
We have a very big fan-base, and he'll have also have had thousands of tweets wishing him well (including mine). Celtic fans to this day still love him and we were all cheering him on to win the FA Cup with you guys as we want him to have a successful career. I agree that the anger and the threats don't make sense and I'd never grudge a player moving on to what is undoubtedly a much higher standard of league (we'll avoid comparing sizes..) But you can look back on my posts here from when I was posting prior to his signing to see that throughout the whole thing I (who I think am fairly reflective of most Celtic fans, I'm a member of a few Celtic forums) was nothing but respectful.

I don't condone the threats, or the defacing of property which took place when he left, but I don't think it's reflective of the majority of Celtic supporters. But as you're specifically asking why some fans reacted like that, this is my understanding of where they're coming from:

I think what's hard to understand for people not from Glasgow is that a lot of fans come from a lower-working class background and for many the football and successes of Celtic are in many ways their only escape from an otherwise tough slog in their day-to-day lives. The East End of Glasgow has areas which are among the most deprived in Europe, for context.A lot of these people will have substance abuse problems be that drugs, alcohol, or both.

For guys like that Celtic is more than just their football club, it's their religion and a way of life. These are the guys who It's absolutely inconceivable to guys like that for a home-grown player who lives and breathes Celtic like Tierney does to even consider leaving. They projected themselves onto him, he was living the dream of each and every one of them in having grown up supporting the club and giving everything he had for the jersey, they expected him to stay for his career and captain the club, no matter how unrealistic that was. When he left, it shattered that, and they lashed out.

I don't think, a year on from him leaving, most of those people grudge him it anymore - we invested the money well to strengthen the squad and he's already won a trophy so it ended up benefiting everyone. There will obviously be a few fans who will never let it go, but they'll be a very small number.

There's also a minority of idiot Arsenal fans who were sending threats and abuse to Xhaka and his family for what they perceived as bad performances. Every club has their share of idiots. I think the argument that "it's a minority" is not a healthy defence. People who lash out with such abuse need to be educated and taught. It's the same with any form of abuse, racism is a good example. There are always initiatives which can be made.
I wish Glaswegians well, I hear your city is gradually on the rise with crime rates and such finally showing a downward trend.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Popular podcast for Scottish football, two ex-Celtic youth players. Some interesting points from KT you guys might enjoy. Best of luck this season, looks like Arteta has you kicking on!
Thanks for posting the podcast! Can’t understand the two guys on the right but the rest was good! Also, no social distancing anymore?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
@MutableEarth podcast up there, from 08:45 onwards, you’ll love it!
I saw it a little bit earlier. Love that he praised Willock's technical ability - every day I hear it's a weakness of his and it clearly isn't so that was good to hear. The Hale End boys are very technically secure, more than given credit.

Big fan of Tierney, seems very even keeled and focused. He's not a bad technician himself and being here will only improve that side of his game IMO. I think he has a big season ahead of him.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

Celtic are the best fans in the world, I’ll always respect them and the club.

blaze_of_glory

This is quality, great interview and funny as well. Thanks for posting!

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Just want him to stay fit and announce himself as the best left back in the league. Could one day be Arsenal captain or vice-captain. He’s twice the player Chilwell is and he’s not a troglodyte like Robertson so that automatically makes him no. 1. Long live the Irn-Bru Cafu (and btw I’m aware Cafu was a right back, I just can’t think of a world class left back that names rhymes with Cafu)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom