• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kieran Tierney

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Celtic fans probably also think their club would challenge for the title if they moved down south.

Funny bunch who don’t seem to realise how irrelevant/rubbish their league/club is.
Give Celtic the money EPL teams receive then they would challenge within a few years. The stadium would be built upto 80k, a kit deal would dwarf current revenue alone.

Tierney is the best young left back in Britain. Brilliant defensively and offensively.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Can’t compare Ajax to Celtic imo. Some of the best players of all time have played for Ajax, everyone knows they are legit. The Scottish league doesn’t compare. 25m for a player in the Scottish PL is more than fair.

There are only a handful of clubs that compare, historically, with Ajax (even Arsenal isn't one of them). They've won four European Cup/Champions League titles. But to be fair to Celtic, they won a European Cup of their own (the Lisbon Lions), were runners-up once and have had many great players through the years -- from Jimmy Johnstone and Billy McNeil to Kenny Dalglish and Henrik Larsson to Van Dijk. Charlie Nicholas came through Celtic's youth system and spent four seasons with the senior club before becoming Arsenal's Player of the Season in 1984.

The Scottish league has struggled financially to keep up over the past couple of decades and it's harder for Celtic to be competitive on any European level these days, but in truth the same has happened to the Dutch league (and Ajax) to some degree. Ajax is a club that regularly produces young talent to be sold on, but they're really a pale comparison to what they were 20 years ago.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Do we even need another left-back, think we have much more pressing needs.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Do we even need another left-back, think we have much more pressing needs.

If Emery plans to play his favored 4.2-3-1 or 4-3-3, then yes. Kolascinac is better was a wingback, but doesn't do much for the defensive end. Nacho just turned 33 and may be ready to go back to Spain to play for Real Sociedad in the summer.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I think we should go for Tagliafico instead, but with Monreal getting older we need a sub LB.

Last edited:

benjamin86

Established Member
Give Celtic the money EPL teams receive then they would challenge within a few years. The stadium would be built upto 80k, a kit deal would dwarf current revenue alone.

Tierney is the best young left back in Britain. Brilliant defensively and offensively.
Think it would take 10+ years, the difference in revenues the top 6 generate to the rest of the league is pretty large and Celtics current side would be nearer the bottom of the table.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Think it would take 10+ years, the difference in revenues the top 6 generate to the rest of the league is pretty large and Celtics current side would be nearer the bottom of the table.

Celtic would actually be a high revenue club right away were they to have the revenue from the Premier League television package rather than the Scottish one. Per Deloitte's 2019 money survey, Celtic has the 9th highest attendance in all of Europe and is in the Top 20 in match day revenue. Their brand has enormous worldwide visibility and they already have high merchandising revenue. As soon as they were in the Premier League, they would be able to at least double their sponsorship revenue. The Premier League TV revenue would probably put them among the Top 15 money clubs in the world.

benjamin86

Established Member
Celtic would actually be a high revenue club right away were they to have the revenue from the Premier League television package rather than the Scottish one. Per Deloitte's 2019 money survey, Celtic has the 9th highest attendance in all of Europe and is in the Top 20 in match day revenue. Their brand has enormous worldwide visibility and they already have high merchandising revenue. As soon as they were in the Premier League, they would be able to at least double their sponsorship revenue. The Premier League TV revenue would probably put them among the Top 15 money clubs in the world.
I still think it would take a long time to contend for the title, if City continue as they are they can just outspend everyone else by such huge margins.

It would take more than 5 years to crack the top 6, their current team is bottom 8 region so would need a lot of upgrade and I don't think Neil Lennon is the right manager for that, so they'd need to find a new manager and then they would have to wait for current sponsors to end before being able to negotiate new contracts and increase revenues there.

I think we've seen with Everton that it's not easy to find the right manager/players etc.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I still think it would take a long time to contend for the title, if City continue as they are they can just outspend everyone else by such huge margins.

It would take more than 5 years to crack the top 6, their current team is bottom 8 region so would need a lot of upgrade and I don't think Neil Lennon is the right manager for that, so they'd need to find a new manager and then they would have to wait for current sponsors to end before being able to negotiate new contracts and increase revenues there.

I think we've seen with Everton that it's not easy to find the right manager/players etc.

Of course it would take them several years of transfer windows to completely upgrade their roster (you've just moved the goal posts quite a bit from 10-plus). Look how long it took Manchester City. But it wouldn't take long at all for them to have the financial muscle to go toe-to-toe, spending-wise, with most of the Top 6 in England. Everton is hardly a good comparison in terms of global brand. Celtic is one of the most famous clubs in the world and in some ways their Catholic connection works in their favor in the same way it has for the University of Notre Dame in American college sports. As for their sponsorship, it would of course depend on when you're transplanting them into the Premier League. As it happens, their deal with main club sponsor Dafabet runs out in 2020, so the timing on that would be excellent if you're planning on moving them now. And they're already going to be looking for a manager since Rodgers left.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Good players do not want to live I Glasgow. Celtic wouldn't compete anywhere higher than mid-table.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Considering his age this signing could see us have our starting full-back positions sorted for quite a number of years to come with Tierney and Bellerin.

It's hard to know with this one, all the Celtic fans I know seem to think he genuinely wants to remain there as long as he can and become a legend there. But let's be honest surely he'll want to test himself at a higher level sooner or later. There's only so much he can do at Celtic.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Considering his age this signing could see us have our starting full-back positions sorted for quite a number of years to come with Tierney and Bellerin.

It's hard to know with this one, all the Celtic fans I know seem to think he genuinely wants to remain there as long as he can and become a legend there. But let's be honest surely he'll want to test himself at a higher level sooner or later. There's only so much he can do at Celtic.
Don’t worry yourself with this, we only have a budget of two potatoe bags, this lad is costing 25M plus, not happening.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I don’t really, but I won’t hold my breath on us spending record breaking money on a full back.

Well, we'll see. I think there's certainly a case to be made for focusing on the defense this summer and it's entirely possible that both Nacho (who has expressed a desire to go back to Real Sociedad someday) and Kolascinac (because he's more of a wingback than a 4-2-3-1 fullback) could leave. If so, they need to spend on somebody.

TornadoTed

Established Member
He won't be as expensive as some make out.

I'm not sure how much it would take to get him, it's really hard to say. He wouldn't be homegrown I don't think so there isn't that premium to add onto the fee like Chilwell for example. Also there is a precedent, Dembele was arguably a bigger prospect and more important to Celtic and he went for a shade under £20m last summer, however he pushed hard for a move while I doubt Tierney would.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The way this happens is Chambers is sold and fee sued for this

Something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom