• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kluivert would prefer Arsenal over Newcastle

Jinn

Established Member
Barcelona striker Patrick Kluivert could turn down a move to Newcastle United in January.
The Guardian says Kluivert favours a move to London and Arsenal over Newcastle.

The Dutchman held talks with Barca officials yesterday about Newcastle's interest and is expected to be soon given permission to speak with the Premiership club.

The Geordies can sign Kluivert in January for a knockdown £1.2 million courtesy of a clause in his present contract.

from Tribalfootball.com
------------
Don't we all love Tribalfootball?

koivu

Also found this:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=281081&cc=5901

Kluivert set for Barcelona showdown

Barcelona have arranged showdown talks for Thursday which should decide Patrick Kluivert's future at the club and could smooth his path to the Premiership.

It seems the Catalan club are already preparing for the loss of the Dutch hitman and have already identified replacements, including Thierry Henry and Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

The Dutch striker and his agent Sigi Lens will hold discussions with Barca vice-president Sandro Rosell and sporting director Txiki Begiristain to determine whether a transfer in January might benefit all parties.

Kluivert is enduring a difficult season in which he has yet to score and has suffered relentless terrace abuse.

Club press spokesman Juanjo Castillo claimed today that coach Frank Rijkaard has 'thrown in the towel' in his attempts to raise Kluivert's spirits.

Speaking at the club's training ground, Kluivert said that he hoped to stay at the Nou Camp, but Barca are not ruling out the prospect that he might depart during the January transfer window.

'I don't want to go to Newcastle, I want to stay here,' said Kluivert when asked about reports linking him to the St James' Park club.

Barca president Joan Laporta said on Monday that Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd had made enquiries about Kluivert's availability while on a trip to Barcelona at the weekend.

But Kluivert added today: 'I'm quite happy here. Rijkaard has confidence in me. The club has told me: `We are with you'.

'I don't feel that the club want me to go.'

However, Castillo has hinted that Kluivert, the club's top earner, could still be persuaded to depart.

'He says that he doesn't want to leave the club and that he is very happy here,' Castillo told the Press Association.

'He doesn't want to leave the country but then again what he does is another story.

'If the crowd continue to boo him maybe he will have to leave, change club, which will be the situation because the fans will not change.

'They are a feature of the club and are very disappointed with him.

'We know that Newcastle have been very interested in him but I think that if he goes he will try to go to a bigger club and I think that he wants to go to London which is a good place to live in. Newcastle isn't that big.'

On what was proving to be a day of mixed messages, Castillo added: 'Barca want him to stay here but we don't want him to just live and to train.

'The booing has started to affect all the team which is not good, I think that Rijkaard has tried hard as a friend and a Dutchman but has now finally thrown in the towel.

'But if Kluivert is to leave then we would have to find a team for him which would not be easy with his wages.

'We have arranged a meeting for Thursday between Sandro Rosell, Txiki Begiristain, Kluivert and his agent Sigi Lens, so then we can sit him down and talk through what is on his mind.

'He says that he doesn't want personal help. He says that he doesn't want to leave the club, but has said before that he does.

'So far no club other than Newcastle have directly approached us about Kluivert, but Arsenal and Chelsea have inquired.'

Kluivert is available at a knock-down price, after accepting a cut in wages during the summer when Barca dramatically cut their wage bill, on the condition that his buy-out clause be slashed.

It is believed that Barca might be forced to accept as little as £1.5million for the striker, given that his wages dwarf those of other squad members. And if his displays show little sign of improvement in the next two months, then that option could become increasingly appealing to Rijkaard and Laporta.

Castillo explained why Barcelona would not stand in Kluivert's way if he was to leave the Nou Camp.

'By selling him it also means that we don't pay the salary which would save us 20million euros (£14million),' he said.

Barca insist they are a buying club these days, since the trumpeted arrival of Laporta in the summer, and Castillo made an astounding claim about who they might be lining up to replace Kluivert.

'The players we have been talking about next June have been David Trezeguet, Thierry Henry and Ruud van Nistelrooy,' he said.

'But it won't be easy, because van Nistelrooy is happy at Manchester and Henry is important to (Arsenal manager Arsène) Wenger.'

====================

Well it's good to see that Arsenal have inquired about him. We'll see what happens...I just hope his wage demands aren't too crazy. As for Barça snagging away Henry... :evil: Maybe Trezeguet will end up at the Nou Camp.

satan_beckham

yeah..good to see us inquired about his services but i think he prefer arsenal,didnt he says he like arsenal in the summer and said he likes arsenal more than man u.And at 1 million plus its really a big bargain,but if he really wants to try out the premiership he chould sacriface and take a pay cut,we can maybe exhange wiltord there too,and use wiltord wages to pay kluivert.Theres really a high chance of him coming,expecially bergkamp is here.But i hope this move will not be like the kewell move where we are the favorites and suddenly,kewell just go to pool

Sammer

Established Member
Kluivert is good. But he is proned to be just a money-hunter with no spirit...

I don´t know if buying him would do us a favor. I think we should rather look for a defender (especially after having seen yesterdays game).

Mark

Established Member
there was an article on skysports yesterday saying Kluivert was going to stay at Barca, but now it's gone because of all the match reports on CL games and stuff.

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He got sense to like us better then Newcastle.
Chelsea got the money will that make him go there seeing £s sign or will he use his brains and come to us

The Mini

Newcastle (not the New York "New Castle"): Not big enough for Kluivurt, and he has a big burden and he hasn't scored yet so he'll be in trouble.

Chelski: Wouldn't it be fun in training? You play a match, you're playing next to Crespo or Mutu :shock: ! But the down side for Kluivurt is that he'll hardly be playing among them, because his loss of form, I'm not sure whether he'll even make the sub's bench.

Arsenal: The is the small problem of his wage. We need an assistant (or a boss) to Henry, he's knackered because Wiltord is energetic but in the wrong area, we need someone who'll really help Henry, Kluivurt needs help.W'll be laughing. Our accountants wont.

Valleyman

The Gunners really need a new striker. Kanu is more like a midfielder, Bergy's quite old and Wiltord doesn't fit. Aliadiere and Bentley are really too young, although they should be given the chance until Kluivert comes knocking. THEN we will have the best striking force around. Only then.

The Mini

I've thought of using Wiltord as a float, use his caffinic behaviour in the best of both world, then use one of the Attacker camp to partner Henry, or leave Thierry all alone against those big bad defenders.

The Mini

wouldn't it be fun hearing the commentry

"Ljungberg, to the middle with Vieira, to Henry, passes to Pires on an amazing run down the wing, crosses, and Kluivurt heads it in."!

Maybe not.

Top Bottom