• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kolo - Centre half or full back?

Where now for Kolo...?

• Centre half

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Full back

• Centre half, but full back for Arsenal

• Full back, but centre half for Arsenal

• Total voters

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
It would take a maniac to argue against the statement that Kolo has not only been a complete revelation this season, but he has in fact been one of our very best players. Last seasons he was affectionately known as a 'headless chicken', this season he's played like a £10mil centre half! But now he's playing just as well at full back, so whats the best position for him and why?

There are more than two options for a very good reason, in so much as you might think he's actually better at one position but it would be better for Arsenal to play him in the other. You'll work it out, and in time honoured tradition there's an 'others' option as well...

AFCG7

Established Member
damnn.. tough choice to make .. but i think he is better for us at CB..and that should be his permanent position.
However with Lauren in poor form and/or injured i think we should continue with Cygan at CB and Toure at RB..since Toure is way better than Lauren defensively at full back.

Lukazan

Established Member
Either... seriously.

But I don't rate Lauren, so I say put him at right back and put Cygan alongside Sol Campbell...

Just aslong as Cygan stays on form..

JazzG

Established Member
If we can get another CB to perform consistantly then RB is his position.

Cygan is playing well but he is very slow, this has caused problems in the past. Maybe Senderos could fit in with Campbell? Also could of got boumsong who is a good player, unfortunately that guy has no ambition and is on his way to rangers....

Mark

Established Member
he truly is a fantastic player. if he continues like this all season his value will shoot up and i'm sure we'll get some clubs interested in him. i think he is a better RB than lauren, but still i prefer him at CB. as i've said before i don't trust cygan yet.

I agree the man is the biggest find for ages. For me though we have to pick one position and run with it. If we keep swapping him around we are basically telling him he is a utility player. He is far more than that. In the current environment, the fact that he wants to play at CB (see interview on Arsenal Plus) is sufficient reason to play him there whenever possible.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
My personal view is that he is an amazing 'find' and I'd be happy to see him settle in either place for Arsenal. To be honest when he was played in the centre pre-season my attitude was 'ok, give him a chance' because you couldn't help but like the guy, but I couldn't see it. But before my very eyes he's turned from a headless chicken into Franz Beckenbauer! OK, it's the ultimate aim for a ball playing centre half, but if Wenger had spent £10million on a player as a top centre half last summer and he was playing as Kolo has then no one would be doubting the singing.

I just feel that he can be such a great player that we should play him in the spine of the team. Centre half for me.

XxGoonaStuxX

I say Centre half. however much Cygan has been great covering I just don't see him as good as Toure at CB. Cygan can be good cover but the normal team should be Campbell and Toure as centre halfs and Lauren/Voltz when he comes back.
I'd rather not give a new CB a role (Cygan) as he was always backup and keep either Lauren or Voltz fighting for a place.

thierrys_girl

Established Member
Centre back because thats the position i feel he is most comfortable in and a position that he plays well in. He is a very versatile player and does well to fit into any position Arsenal need him to play in. He has done well in Right back but i prefer him as a Centre Back, seeing as Lauren is making a comeback Toure should resume playing with Sol in the centre of defense

Andrew

JazzG said:
If we can get another CB to perform consistantly then RB is his position.

I think it's the other way around. I am much more happy with Cygan than I am with Lauren at the moment. But Toure's revelation came at centre back. Last season he played at right back occasionally and none of us were too impressed. We were impressed by the way he played at centre back this season so I think that's his best position.

GoonerLuke

If the defense is stronger with Kolo at RB and Cygan at CB, then you have to play your strongest defense. At the same time, you don't want to mess with your team's spine.

I guess it just depends on who is more dominant at their position next year - Volz or Senderos. Obviously Kolo is class in either position, so it's up to Arsène to decide.

I think Kolo is like Thuram and Gallas, equally adept at RB or CB.

Jinn

Established Member
I think his long term future is at CB with Volz or someone else at RB.

Cygan seems to be a stop-gap option, in that I think he doesn't really seem to have a long term future here. At his age, he should be in his prime, and although he is playing very well this season, I can only see him moving on.

At the moment though, our strongest lineup would be with Kolo at RB and Cygan at CB.

GoonerLuke

Jinn said:
I think his long term future is at CB with Volz or someone else at RB.

Cygan seems to be a stop-gap option, in that I think he doesn't really seem to have a long term future here.

But, there is always Senderos to consider in a years time. I think it's highly likely that

Toure Campbell Senderos Cole

will be our best defense in a year or two. Even though I know that I'm being highly optimistic here, since we haven't seen much of Senderos. Senderos kind of strikes me as a Cygan type player - powerful, commanding in the air, calm on the ball, BUT with pace.

Jinn

Established Member
Yes, that's counting out Senderos. However, I doubt he'll be much better than Toure has been in the middle, and also, CB is Kolo's favourite position.

lewdikris

Established Member
I refuse to vote. Exiled - you left out the option of cloning him and having him play both.

It doesn't matter where he plays, it really doesn't - he's only bettered by Campbell in the centre, and is a cut above Lauren at Right Back. Vitally, that introduces absolute competition into the defence - Cygan, Lauren, they all have to step up, because Kolo's breathing down their necks. Overall, that fact, rather than where Kolo plays, will make our defence better.

Whether it's Volz or Senderos that he'll be keeping out longterm is a different question, but again that's a bloody good problem to have.

JazzG

Established Member
This season I think Toure has been better than Campbell when he has played CB.

Andrew said:
I think it's the other way around. I am much more happy with Cygan than I am with Lauren at the moment. But Toure's revelation came at centre back. Last season he played at right back occasionally and none of us were too impressed. We were impressed by the way he played at centre back this season so I think that's his best position.

I hadn't heard about this interview before hand so if he prefers CB let him play there.

I was very impressed with Toure as our LB against Valencia away last season. Against Birmingham he was abit dodgy but as RB he really has excelled, seems like he can play everywhere!

Archie The Leper

Didn't vote, would like him to put pressure all positions, the more competition the better, Arsène can treaten anyone with play well or Kolo gets your place

Feis-al

If he wants Cb then be it, The guy can mark, Obafemi, Vieri, VanHorseface, Anelka and name anyone other than Henry. He has made us forget Mexes completely and he is now competing with Henry in running, let him enjoy any place and by the way, People haven't revealed how Cygan is becoming a new revelation too. Cygan has bailed out Sol twice this season especially the Loco match. i growing to like him more and I would want to see him really battle it out with KEOWN because I believe Kolo is a starter until he gets injured(God forbid) :angel

Top Bottom