• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Konstantinos Mavropanos: Our New BFG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
I don't know if this specific video has been posted but I saw it another Arsenal forum. Some of the guys there were complaining about the tackles saying it's too dangerous, and he's going to injury opponents and get red cards.

I honestly don't mind it. For too long that I can remember, we've had central defenders who can be manhandled, grabbed and thrown around by opposition players. Yeah, we don't want to see red cards, but some aggression and nastiness is what we've needed for a long time. You can't complain about the defending and the days of Adams, Keown, Dixon, Campbell, Lauren, Cole etc but then say a guy's too aggressive. He does go to ground, but like I said, I honestly don't mind what I see but that's just my preference in a centre back. I'd rather have oppositions fans and pundits say what a horrible nasty aggressive ruthless bunch we are rather than the laughing stock that we've become in terms of how our players and mentality are viewed. I'd love a Simeone character to come in and try and compete with the "oil clubs" by doing what he's done in Spain i.e work-rate, team spirit, organisation coupled with attacking ability. The days of us trying to "out football" our rivals have gone imo.

Konstantinos Mavropanos - "No centre forward will ever receive the ball into feet again with me behind them, you have my word. THIS IS SPARTA"

While watching this video it just dawned on me how soft premier league refereeing has become in recent times. Any challenge from behind will result in a foul and booking regardless of whether you get the ball first or if there's minimal contact. Not a criticism of the guy itself but more of the current interpretation and inconsistency of what is and isn't a foul in this league.

IslingtonBornandbred

While watching this video it just dawned on me how soft premier league refereeing has become in recent times. Any challenge from behind will result in a foul and booking regardless of whether you get the ball first or if there's minimal contact. Not a criticism of the guy itself but more of the current interpretation and inconsistency of what is and isn't a foul in this league.

Yeah, the EPL has become sanitized in terms of what constitutes a foul. If most fans who go and watch only EPL teams, go to a League 2 or Conference game they'd definitely be surprised. The ref's down there still follow the same rules, they just have a much higher threshold on what's a foul, plus the players aren't as likely to automatically fall over if touched. Same in Greece really, you can do a little more imo.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Is it just me or does he look a lot skinnier in Arsenal gear than he did in Greece? Maybe my eyes deceive me or it's just the loose winter gear, but I feel like we've already got rid of his muscle haha.

Aevi

Hale End FC

Strange, seems like he's one for the future but that means we could have gone ahead and loaned him. Maybe we just wanted to keep a closer eye on his development to get a good sense of what we're working with.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Wenger has an awful record of developing young defenders.
Its really the same around football. One of the hardest positions to develop & quite remarkable how many of the very best come through at smaller clubs then poached.

Linson

Fair enough. I think it's quite something that Wenger cancelled any potential loan for him, stating he was too good to go out on loan.

Watching the video of him, I think he'll end up committing a lot of fouls in the EPL, lose confidence, then coming back into it a couple of years later. Looks like he could be a leader on the pitch though.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Yes. Its almost impossible to develop in that role of you aren't playing every week at 20. Wenger hoards these young defenders then only ends up playing them in sporadic cup games with an entirely new XI. We'd be better off loaning this kid out right away to somewhere like the bundesliga.

Reactions: CJJ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom