• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

La Cabra (Out)

thedon5

Arsenal left-back Nacho Monreal on the radar of La Liga sides who hope to help with his World Cup push

The 27-year-old has found it difficult to dislodge Keiran Gibbs since his £8.5million arrival last January, with three clubs hoping to take advantage

Nacho Monreal is on the radar of a host of La Liga clubs.

The Arsenal left-back has struggled to dislodge Keiran Gibbs since his £8.5million arrival last January.

Monreal, who has revealed he is suffering watching on from bench, is happy to fight for his place.

Arsenal want to keep the Spaniard - but their stance has not put off sides from his homeland.

Valencia, Real Sociedad and Granada still hope to entice Monreal, 27, back home to help with his push for a World Cup spot next year.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfers-nacho-monreal-radar-2848351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ar-2848351</a>

Seems somewhat made up in a 1+1=2 style, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case really. Last week he also came out with comments that he was unhappy with his playing time. Would be very unfortunate to see him go, especially after just one season and one run in the first team. I like the guy and think he can still do well here.

frass

A loan would be more like it I think but just can't see us selling him so quick it would look weird.

trunks206

Established Member
We're pushing for the title, we need good cover for places in case of injuries, and who knows how many points being able to bring him on at LW to close out games will protect us from dropping. We aren't letting him go anywhere.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Stupid article, although he's not starting many games right now he's coming on basically every game, he'll be at the world cup and he knows it.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Nope he will not go in my opinion even if he is playing every game this season he not going to start for Spain in the world cup cuz Jordi Alba is ahead of him.

outlaw_member

Established Member
He'd be a top class fullback if it weren't for his lack of recovery pace. I think he's far too easy to beat on the outside and that is why I think Gibbs is preferred. At the risk of offending Yuyie, I think Gibbs is very average and replaceable, and would still like to see Monreal be given a chance.

halfvolley

outlaw_member said:
He'd be a top class fullback if it weren't for his lack of recovery pace. I think he's far too easy to beat on the outside and that is why I think Gibbs is preferred. At the risk of offending Yuyie, I think Gibbs is very average and replaceable, and would still like to see Monreal be given a chance.

Come on mate, Gibbs has been absolutely excellent this season. What more does he have to do to impress you?

As for Nacho, I think it's great that he isn't happy with sitting on the bench and I hope he channels this unhappiness towards getting even better than Gibbs and taking his spot. Not into sulking and looking for a move.

Also, there's a depressingly high chance of Gibbs getting injured at any given moment which will give Nacho his chance anyway.

This aside, I really don't think we're selling him, particularly not in January with a title challenge on the cards.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Let's keep both for several reasons;
Nacho will probably make the world cup squad anyway.
Gibbs has traditionally had a spotty injury record(though he's had a relatively injury free this year).
We still have the FA cup, Premiership and CL to play for and if we want to seriously challenge for a trophy, we need to strengthen our current squad, not weaken it.

Buhry

Established Member

Nope, we need the squad depth if we want to make a push for the PL title as well as compete in the 2 cups. Gibbs could get injured any time anyway, jis injury record is not great.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I've never been that impressed with him because he's too easy to beat for pace and whip a cross in. It's nothing he can work on. He will never be a top fulllback in today's game with such a lack of recovery pace.

outlaw_member

Established Member
halfvolley said:
outlaw_member said:

Come on mate, Gibbs has been absolutely excellent this season. What more does he have to do to impress you?

As for Nacho, I think it's great that he isn't happy with sitting on the bench and I hope he channels this unhappiness towards getting even better than Gibbs and taking his spot. Not into sulking and looking for a move.

Also, there's a depressingly high chance of Gibbs getting injured at any given moment which will give Nacho his chance anyway.

This aside, I really don't think we're selling him, particularly not in January with a title challenge on the cards.

I'm one of those cats who was un/fortunate to have seen most our clubs greatest ever players. That means I have very little tolerance for players who don't at the very least match the finest we've had in the position. The great clubs are always looking to surpass their previous standards, and we should be no different.

All I know is, Gibbs isn't a patch on A. Cole and he's arguably not even as good as Clichy at his best. As such, he is replaceable. Giroud is the same for me. I've seen Henry and Bergkamp tear up the league, and I'm not going to sit here and make excuses for a player who is below the required standard. That's why I am critical of so many of our players, because they just aren't up to the level we should be demanding.

We are fighting for the title this season, because we have players like Mertesacker, Sagna, Ramsey(this season) and Özil who are as good as anything we've ever had. We should always be striving to upgrade upon our current incumbents, as that is the only way the team continues to develop and improve, and the standard should be no less than the best we've ever had.

The best clubs in the world demand perfection, and the catch is that perfection is impossible to attain, thus there is always room for improvement. Always. If we do happen to win the league this season, we'll set our sights on the CL, than the treble, and then to try and repeat it all over again like Bayern. There is no stagnancy in sport, only improvement or regression.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
No way we're letting him leave, no way.

I really like him, he's versatile, a hard worker and technically sound.

Also I'd like evidence of him being 'easily beat for pace'? Not being arsey, I'd genuinely like an example or two seeing as his pace is such an obvious weakness.

musicmonkey

Established Member
Didn't realise a lack of pace was such a hindrance. Must be some sort of miracle that Zabaletta's probably been the league's best fullback for a couple of seasons.

Obviously it doesn't help him much but Sagna might even be slower than Monreal going off how Monreal seems to get past his man when attacking, yet we don't see people getting past Sagna on the defence.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Taylor Gang Gunners said:
No way we're letting him leave, no way.

I really like him, he's versatile, a hard worker and technically sound.

Also I'd like evidence of him being 'easily beat for pace'? Not being arsey, I'd genuinely like an example or two seeing as his pace is such an obvious weakness.

Off the top of my head I remember Townsend and Sessegnon dribbling him a lot in a couple of games towards the end of last season. His lack of pace and power were taken advantage of.

I wouldn't let him go without him getting a proper run in the team (he did in his debut season but it would be unfair to judge him on that alone). I think he is better than Gibbs in a lot of aspects of his play but because Gibbs pace and stamina are outstanding it means he suits our style more and is probably better defensively.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Think Monreal is comfortably better than Gibbs, would be very dissapointed if he was to leave anytime soon.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I agree with Outlaw regarding Gibbs. I like the guy, but we've become too comfortable with safe and very unspectacular 'just knock it' types over the years. Might have something to do with enduring a declining Clichy and a five-a-side beach player in Santos for a while.

I'd like to see Nacho at least given a run in this side before we discard him. As ok as Gibbs is doing, he's hardly nailed it down. Gibbs is definitely quicker than Nacho--I'll say that--and Nacho's lack of recovery is a slight concern, but then so is Mertesackers.....

They both offer different qualities, but I feel Nacho's would benefit us more.... Could be wrong, but I'd like to see. We should always be looking to improve, and we most definitely could on BOTH flanks. I'll STFU now because I've said this so many times before.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom