• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Laurent Koscielny

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnGooner

Established Member
Needs to get a grip ASAP. We're flooded with gong ho mentality as it is. If Kos starts going all Silvestre, we're ****ed. Mustafi can't hold the fort, he can go from Sol Campbell to Sebastien Squillaci any second.

I've never really rated Kos, I've always felt we could do better than him even if he was the best we had at the time. Has always had a mistake in him, which became less frequent with experience, but he's never been a defender I regarded as solid. Now the mistakes are starting to creep back with more frequency, Wenger needs to take a hard look at it, but Wenger won't.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I've never really rated Kos, I've always felt we could do better than him even if he was the best we had at the time. Has always had a mistake in him, which became less frequent with experience, but he's never been a defender I regarded as solid. Now the mistakes are starting to creep back with more frequency, Wenger needs to take a hard look at it, but Wenger won't.

Never rated Koscienly :lol: Only bailed out our defence for years.

Sad to see people coming out now and say "he was never that good" or "I never rated him"... Blah blah.

Think he was brilliant defender. Remember he has been one of the best defender in league, probably Europe playing in fragile defensive system that does the defenders no favors at all.

One of Wenger best signings. Very thankful for his time here! Think he is on decline now! Sad times!

Never rated Koscienly :lol: Only bailed out our defence for years.

You must not of noticed.. But the defending has been terrible for years o_O
Kos being the best we've had over a period of time doesn't mean anything with the defensive shambles we've been witnessing for the past several seasons.

He ain't nothing special, he just been the least shambolic of the defenders we've had, which isn't saying much.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You must not of noticed.. But the defending has been terrible for years o_O
Kos being the best we've had over a period of time doesn't mean anything with the defensive shambles we've been witnessing for the past several seasons.

He ain't nothing special, he just been the least shambolic of the defenders we've had, which isn't saying much.

Right...and that’s all on the one player is it? Can’t wait until we sign this magical CB in the summer and everything is fixed.

IslingtonBornandbred

Great team spirit lads, desire and positivity before the game. Seen more fight and desire from a bunch of 5 year old kids. ****ing Iwobi just walking away not bothered, Giroud trying to break the silence.

Absolute bunch of weasels. Seen and been in plenty of these sort of huddles/pre match talks before games. Usually in a functioning team with so called team spirit, your captain or one guy leads the talk, with others chirping in at the end i,e "and boys, when we get out there no errors", or "let's play our natural game" or whatever soundbite you want to add in. When it's eerily silent and nobody else speaks or adds input, your pretty much done as a group.

Last edited:

CJJ

Established Member
Was to blame for the 2nd and partially the 3rd goal as well.

He's 32 but i dont really have any faith in his "experience". He's always managed to stay relevant by having an amazing 1v1 play, but this is starting to fade as well.

We should start looking for a replacement this summer.

say yes

forum master baiter
**** again. Quelle surprise.

Was to blame for the 2nd and partially the 3rd goal as well.

He's 32 but i dont really have any faith in his "experience". He's always managed to stay relevant by having an amazing 1v1 play, but this is starting to fade as well.

We should start looking for a replacement this summer.

The worst mistake he made didn’t even get punished.

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

Overall he’s having a terrible season I’m afraid. Been so so poor recently. Achilles problems obviously starting to show.

CB should be high on the priority list for the summer but knowing this club it won’t happen

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
As much it pain me to say but he need to be more a squad player we are just overloading by playing him too much he out of form plus he having an Achilles injury we should play holding or chambers and give him some time to recover and get his form back at least

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We need like 2 or CB's now, we won't get them though, maybe one if we're lucky but it won't be top quality. It's stuff like this were you must accept the reality of the club and the limitation that we have in terms of building a team. As I said in the match thread 35 million gets you half a Van Dijk. To get two quality CB's you'd need to spend somewhere between 100-150 million which is pretty much the very limit of what we could afford to spend on new players in a single transfer window. That's without factoring in a new keeper, midfielder and a forward to replace the departing Alexis. We're in a position were we're shopping in the bargain bins hoping that we can turn trash into treasure and stumble upon a gem. We're also in a market were top quality CB's are so rare that Johnny Evans at near 30 playing at WBA is sought after by half of the top 6 and this is a guy who was deemed not good enough to displace Rojo, Smalling and Jones.

I'm sure we'll put faith into the likes of Holding, Chambers, Bielik while still maintaining some hope that Mustafi can improve and somehow turn into a top quality CB. It's a very hit and miss strategy, there are no guarantees with it.

It's at times like this we must remember how lucky we were to stumble across someone like Koscielny who turned out to be a great servant for the club. I mean where would we have been without him? He's produced massive moments, in 2012 and 2013 scored the goals that got us into the CL and in the FA Cup final scored the equaliser while spending 7 years defending on his own for this team.

nick gould

Our defending was comical today. The second goal was worse in my opinion. Two central defenders deserting the post going after the same ball. These guys have not learned anything from Per. As a central defender your priority is to defend the 18 area, 12 area and the goal. Don’t get dragged out of position unnecessarily. That reminded me of the game against ac Milan in the champions league where Kos and Vermalen frequently went aol chasing after ball on the touch line. Clowns.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
**** again. Quelle surprise.

I really hope it doesn't look like I'm turning on Koscielny recently because I've been saying that we overrate him for years. The guy has always been very accident prone and watching him play sometimes I hear the Benny Hill music in the background.

Without Mertesacker Kos becomes a liability, it's not his Achilles that's causing this form. It's just that he can't lead a back line, his game is too rash and impatient.

NoOffense

In Kos' defense it doesn't help at all that both his defensive partner and the form we play changes all the time. I have few doubts he could regain his good form with some sustainability although we can't know how much does his achilles effects so his form could be permanently gone. He has looked a lot slower than usually which harms his game a lot so giving him some extra time to rest might be beneficial. Let Chambers and Holding show what they can do in the Prem.

For those who say he never even was good how has he been a starting cb for France for years? One of the best finds by Wenger.

zhaggy

Its pretty clear that we dont know how to defend as a unit. And that goes for the whole team, not just the defenders. That coupled with basic individual errors make for some really ****ty displays. Kos used to make up for it but injuries and age caught up with him.
We will never Come close to winning the league until we address this issue.
Buying new cbs wont Help.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Cost us the game today.. the defending for the 3rd was almost as criminal as the mistake for the 1st. Amateur stuff. He's just way too error prone to justify being called world class and unfortunately I've to agree he looks to be in decline.. Still a great defender, but can't be trusted to be a leader..

Who is calling him world class? I think from about 13/14 to 15/16 he was one of the top CBs but he's obviously physically declined dramatically. It's a shame because to look pretty good in our "system" as a CB takes some effort.

OSBK

Established Member
Kos value for money has been one of our best ever buys. Wenger bought a nobody who developed into a top cb. He has his faults, like hummels he is a defender who will make a error once a game. He has always been rash and taken risks, without per he has gone off the rails and clearly doesnt trust his cb partners to deal with situations.

Shame to see him like this, I do however think that playing monreal lcb and anm at lb does not help in anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom