• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Laurent Koscielny

Status
Not open for further replies.

say yes

forum master baiter
It's so sad we didn't win the title when we had fit Koscielny, Cazorla, Özil & Sanchez.

Pathetic would be my choice of word. They lost it to Leicester city not Barcelona.

Ironically because their defence consisting of Wes Morgan, Danny Simpson, Huth and Fuchs did exactly what our Koscielny-led unit couldn't - they knuckled down and ground out 7 clean sheets (and thus 7 wins) in 9 games after they lost at the Emirates.

carlito'sway

Established Member
It's a bit brutal but we need to cut him loose. Must be on a pretty big wage and will be no use to us next year. Not sure how that works though, I guess you have to pay him off so probably are stuck with him.

WTF? The dude is under contract, you can't just "cut loose" a player under contract. Beyond that, what sort of callous message is that? That is the way treat a player, team captain and a guy who has been exemplary on and off the field? ....:rolleyes:

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Feel bad for Kos.
It was painful watching him last night, as he knew his World Cup dream is over as well as not being able to help the team on a difficult night.

It is a shame he gets remembered for his dodgy moments: League Cup Final, the mistake to Atletico's equaliser, several own goals etc, but he had massive impact as well as scoring 3 key goals in our most difficult times:
- the only goal at Newcastle ( 1-1 at Newcastle)
- the winning goal at WBA
- the equaliser at FA Cup Final.

He was a quite underwhelming captain to be fair, but also one of the most loyal and hardworking players in Emirates era.
Good luck on his recovery and hopefully there's will be a place for him as a squad option with new manager.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
A legend in his own right no matter how much people may underrate his influence....He single handedly won us many games which is rare for a center back,His later years have been average at best but still his legacy is one to be remembered

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
He did a good job for Arsenal during most of his stay, but he's probably slightly overrated. Never was a fulcrum of the french NT, couldn't organize a defense, panicky and inconsistent, seriously went downhill without Per's influence on the pitch. For all the plaudits for being a leader and a top class CB, he never managed to actually lead his backline, and for that the club, to anything. Couldn't keep the back tight when it mattered most, always had a stupid mistake in him. If you look at it without sentimentality, he was a very good CB, but in no way an Arsenal or PL great. There's miles between him and Adams, Campbell or opponent CBs he played against, like Terry, Ivanovic, Ferdinand.
Even when he was still clearly better and people were labelling him the league's best CB, I thought it was through rose tinted glasses cause he's at Arsenal, the captain, has a lot of heart and was better than the dross who came just before him.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Pathetic would be my choice of word. They lost it to Leicester city not Barcelona.

Ironically because their defence consisting of Wes Morgan, Danny Simpson, Huth and Fuchs did exactly what our Koscielny-led unit couldn't - they knuckled down and ground out 7 clean sheets (and thus 7 wins) in 9 games after they lost at the Emirates.
We technically didn't lose to Leicester City. As I recall we were the only team to beat them home and away.

City and United couldn't beat them home or away. Sp**s lost at home ffs and Liverpool lost away.

If the other 5 top clubs had done their jobs, their dream would have stayed a dream.

carlito'sway

Established Member
He did a good job for Arsenal during most of his stay, but he's probably slightly overrated. Never was a fulcrum of the french NT, couldn't organize a defense, panicky and inconsistent, seriously went downhill without Per's influence on the pitch. For all the plaudits for being a leader and a top class CB, he never managed to actually lead his backline, and for that the club, to anything. Couldn't keep the back tight when it mattered most, always had a stupid mistake in him. If you look at it without sentimentality, he was a very good CB, but in no way an Arsenal or PL great. There's miles between him and Adams, Campbell or opponent CBs he played against, like Terry, Ivanovic, Ferdinand.
Even when he was still clearly better and people were labelling him the league's best CB, I thought it was through rose tinted glasses cause he's at Arsenal, the captain, has a lot of heart and was better than the dross who came just before him.

an other bait.....:rolleyes:

Stannis

It's so sad we didn't win the title when we had fit Koscielny, Cazorla, Özil & Sanchez.

Even Cech was great (overall that season)

Wengers biggest sin that we didn’t buy anyone else

Whenever wengers book comes out that’s want to know , was it his decision not to get anyone at all, or was their external pressure

Honestly if we just bought laccazette that season we would have won the league

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
an other bait.....:rolleyes:

It surely isn't. He wasn't a bad CB, in fact, he was a very good one and he mostly did his job. But he never was the league's best CB or in the contemporary pantheon of best CBs around. He's always been a step lower than that. He definitely never was on the level of Ramos, Hummels, Boateng, Thiago Silva, Terry, et al.

It's also true that his weaknesses have been more exposed since he lost Mertesacker as partner. Which are that he's unable to organize his backline, being quite chaotic and panicky, especially in high pressure situations - and that's what let him and the team down a few times. It could've been corrected by bringing in someone closer in profile to Merte, instead of a second but worse Koscielny in Mustafi.

Also, being a warrior doesn't equate being a leader. This harkens back to the story about the team meeting and one senior player, who the consensus seems to identify as Koscielny, cried and broke down. In the aftermath of those news there were a lot of voices on here criticizing such behaviour by a captain and leader.

Along Mertesacker's calm game he's Arsenal's best CB of the last decade - but unfortunately that doesn't make him the best in the league at any point.

It's funny, you know. Last week, after the mistake against Atletico, the majority on here conceded that he used to be good, but probably never was as great as some believe, that Mertesacker's contribution to their partnership was likely underrated, that he's lost significant individual quality over the last 2 years, and that he's a massive bottler - albeit still acknowledging his overall service to the club as one of the better defenders of the last decade.
Now, just 'cause he's injured and the fans are somewhat sentimental right now, he's back to being an alltime great and a great leader and whatnot.

Last edited:

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We kept the most cleans sheets that year. The defence, as a unit, wasn’t to blame.

say yes

forum master baiter
We kept the most cleans sheets that year. The defence, as a unit, wasn’t to blame.

Only because we got 6 in our last 9 games - when the pressure was off and we had nothing to play for.

Classic Arsenal really. We needed those performances against United and Swansea, not a relegated Aston Villa on the last day of the season (Giroud cupping his ears to the fans that day is still one of the most unbelievable things I’ve seen from an Arsenal player).

Agree up to a point though - defence was generally decent that season and the major blame for the travesty that unfurled lay further forward.

Still, nobody performed when it really mattered which is why I don’t feel sad for any of them. They didn’t deserve the trophy that season and they haven’t deserved it any other season. Truth is that this current bunch have never even come close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I want a fan to wake up in the morning and say, “Arsenal are playing today, I’m going to have a good time.” That guy starts his day off by thinking that something good is going to happen to him. And to do that, big clubs like Arsenal have to have the ambition to play spectacularly. Of shared happiness.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom