• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Laurent Koscielny (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze_of_glory

I am puzzled that some are surprised to hear that this situation is common occurrence in professional football. Most of the times, clubs handle and deal with those issues internally. I still can't comprehend why AFC went public about it.
Yeah certainly not unique apart from the detail about wanting to be released from contract. Refusing to play is an unf0rtuantely commonplace tactic for disgruntled players.

Who knows why the club does what it does these days though...

carlito'sway

Established Member
Yeah certainly not unique apart from the detail about wanting to be released from contract. Refusing to play is an unf0rtuantely commonplace tactic for disgruntled players.

Who knows why the club does what it does these days though...

That is the strange part.... What's the point of this shambolic note? It only made things worse. I can't see any other option now than for the player to leave.

blaze_of_glory

That is the strange part.... What's the point of this shambolic note? It only made things worse. I can't see any other option now than for the player to leave.
Might be that they feel there is no way back and want to get out ahead of anything else coming out. I dunno. Hard to judge entirely without more information.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I am puzzled that some are surprised to hear that this situation is common occurrence in professional football. Most of the times, clubs handle and deal with those issues internally. I still can't comprehend why AFC went public about it.

Things like a player refusing to play always eventually come out to the press, certainly if it is a high profile club. All the cases I have seen it is cause they want to be sold. I could be wrong and there could be loads of instances I haven't heard about. But I definitely don't think it is a common occurrence.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

How many captains have refused to travel to not only force a move, but have their contract terminated?

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
It's absolutely not usual to cancel contracts because it's usually not a termination on grounds of some violation. Arsenal would very likely have to pay him his remaining fees or part of at least, that's why you don't do it even if you want to get rid. These are all legal work contracts after all.

Someone on a Stuttgart (re getting rid of Bsdstuber) forum explained it in financial detail why contract terminations rarely happen with the main point being severance fees either if you or the player wants to get rid and these apparently usually turn out more expensive than keeping someone.

The upside would be completely on player side.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Koscielny wanted to leave last year, this club is just so poorly run we didn't want to plan for a replacement, what happened to not letting players run out there contract, all a bunch of b.s. no more wenger to cover up there negligence.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
How many captains have refused to travel to not only force a move, but have their contract terminated?

I will have a wild guess and say, it can't be more than one. Atleast not in a high profile club. Maybe not even in any professional club in a well respected league.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
It's absolutely not usual to cancel contracts because it's usually not a termination on grounds of some violation. Arsenal would very likely have to pay him his remaining fees or part of at least, that's why you don't do it even if you want to get rid. These are all legal work contracts after all.

Someone on a Stuttgart (re getting rid of Bsdstuber) forum explained it in financial detail why contract terminations rarely happen with the main point being severance fees either if you or the player wants to get rid and these apparently usually turn out more expensive than keeping someone.

The upside would be completely on player side.

I'm not suprised about kos going on strike (well a bit) but the fact he is demanding his contract to be cancelled so he can get a nice sign on fee. That surely must be unprecedented. 'Let me go free, so I can pocket the transfer money you would have received instead'.

Next maybe we will get a Spanish team in Nacho's ear, telling him to ask us to cancel his contract too. He also has a year left.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
He did the job he was paid to do and continuously made errors in big games costing us many trophies and also in regular Premier League games. Koscielny has been a mainstay in so many terrible defences and is quick to crumble. Terrible captain, mediocre player who had constant mistakes in him.
So then cancel the contract & save 100k a week.

I believe the 2019 Kos is beat up & not worth the wages... Not like the guy wants to join a rival but go home to a more forgiving league + prolong playing days.

Just not sure how its got this bad between aging captain on a 1 year deal & the hierarchy. Similar situation to Evra (although joining a CL rival) ended up going for just 1m or something not 5/8/10m.

carlito'sway

Established Member

Refused to travel may be an extreme case, but as I said before, professional footballers (and athletes) can force their way out and do it frequently.
At Arsenal, RVP, Cesc and to a certain extent Henry and even Viera, all former captains, forced their way out. It just didn't make the headlines news then since the club decided to keep the stories under wrap (well except for RVP of course).

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Just not sure how its got this bad between aging captain on a 1 year deal & the hierarchy.

I think maybe he as expecting them to be more sentimental to his wishes, probably has seen Arsenal being nice to other players and they'd do the same but got shut down. I think Bordeux or whoever can afford his wages but not a transfer fee and he thought he could go on a free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom