• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Laurent Koscielny (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I hope he stays, still our best defender in my opinion. I just hope we buy someone decent so we can manage his 'old' legs and not be reliant on him playing all the time.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

Didn't know kosh got only 1 year left. Hopefully that not mean we keeping mustafi. If we selling kosh mustafi and maybe Chambers then we are getting 2 CB at least

Well, I've been saying since last summer that this is a possibility. As much as I like Koscielny, I can't say I'm really against it just as long as Mustafi is moved on as well and they bring in two suitable replacements. He'll be 34 in September and hasn't played more than 25 league games since 2016-17. Whether he stays or not, Arsenal can't put all their eggs in the Koscielny basket. It's just impossible to predict when he'll be unable to play and even when healthy he'll need some rest. Probably a good time for him to move on with only a year left on his contract.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Well, I've been saying since last summer that this is a possibility. As much as I like Koscielny, I can't say I'm really against it just as long as Mustafi is moved on as well and they bring in two suitable replacements. He'll be 34 in September and hasn't played more than 25 league games since 2016-17. Whether he stays or not, Arsenal can't put all their eggs in the Koscielny basket. It's just impossible to predict when he'll be unable to play and even when healthy he'll need some rest. Probably a good time for him to move on with only a year left on his contract.

I think he would be an excellent option to play a few games here and there while integrating a youngster like Konate and nursing Holding back to full fitness.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I think he would be an excellent option to play a few games here and there while integrating a youngster like Konate and nursing Holding back to full fitness.

Oh, absolutely. But with Wenger gone he might think it's time to move on. Plus, Arsenal wants to stop letting players run down their contracts and leave for free. This summer will be their last opportunity to sell him (unless they extend him, which they won't). If he stays, he's yet another allowed to leave for free. Plus they need to think about whether or not they want to pay a part-time player £90,000 a week. They could use that to pay a player with a future. Arsenal needs to be more ruthless and not allow sentiment to sway their decision making as it has done in the past.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Well worth keeping. Let him run down his contract and get a big bonus as a free agent. A 5m fee does nothing for us - much better to keep him.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Well worth keeping. Let him run down his contract and get a big bonus as a free agent. A 5m fee does nothing for us - much better to keep him.

But what if he wants to go? I don't think anyone is reporting that Arsenal is trying to force him out. But I don't think they will stand in his way if he gets an offer he likes. The fee may be minimal, but it also opens up a significant chunk of wages if he does move. That would give them more financial flexibility this summer.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
But what if he wants to go? I don't think anyone is reporting that Arsenal is trying to force him out. But I don't think they will stand in his way if he gets an offer he likes. The fee may be minimal, but it also opens up a significant chunk of wages if he does move. That would give them more financial flexibility this summer.

If he wishes to leave , then sell him - he's been a great servant; we shouldn't stand in his way. Doubt he'd walk away from a 5m signing on bonus and a nice salary as a free transfer though?

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
He's been our best defender since coming back, so I'm surprised to see people are fine with him leaving. Would leave an underwhelming player like Sokratis as a main pillar of our defense regardless who we bring in.

I hope we keep him for one more year, integrate whoever we buy this window and then buy hopefully a top replacement again next summer, then bin Sokratis.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
If he wishes to leave , then sell him - he's been a great servant; we shouldn't stand in his way. Doubt he'd walk away from a 5m signing on bonus and a nice salary as a free transfer though?

Could be, but if he waits until next summer he'll be 35 that September and is always a health risk. There may not be such a market. Right now he's been in good form and if the report is true there are several clubs interested. We'll see what happens.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
We've had a great decade of service out of him for what was it, £10m? I wouldn't be against him going if he wants a move back to France but otherwise I would keep for the season.

Malky

Established Member
Kos has earned the right to decide himself what he wants to do. If he wants to stay we should absolutely keep him another year, if he wants to go back to France, and I can understand why he would, then we should let him.
Personally I'd be gutted to see him go, but, like you said, he's earned the right to make that decision. Hope we keep him, I think he has one more good season in him, plus with the CB's we're being linked with, having someone with Koscileny's experience could be essential.

Impact

Established Member
He's been our best defender since coming back, so I'm surprised to see people are fine with him leaving. Would leave an underwhelming player like Sokratis as a main pillar of our defense regardless who we bring in.

I hope we keep him for one more year, integrate whoever we buy this window and then buy hopefully a top replacement again next summer, then bin Sokratis.

My preferred option. If however we decide to sell, then we need 2 CBs this summer.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I wouldnt be against selling him after the final. Recoup some money bring home Chambers. Build for the future.

Signing off as the captain that lead us to our first European trophy this century is some way to go.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Watch kosh get more interest from teams than mustafi despite being 33 years old. I don't think we'll more than 10-15M from kosh still good enough of player got 1 year in his contract

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Do people really think 33 year old will bring more than 10 millions? Last year on contract & bad injury earlier.

I think 5-8 million euros is about right. So I don't see a good reason to sell unless he wants to go now.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Watch kosh get more interest from teams than mustafi despite being 33 years old. I don't think we'll more than 10-15M from kosh still good enough of player got 1 year in his contract

CIES has Koscielny valued at €4-7 million, so any fee would probably be minimal. It would get £90,000 a week off the wage bill though. I guess it just depends on whether or not he wants to move.

Arsenal might have to take a real hit on Mustafi because it's hard to figure what kind of fee they might get. I hope they're willing to do it if need be. CIES actually has him valued at €30-40 million. Hard to imagine them getting that much, but maybe Sanllehi's extensive contacts will find a way.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
CIES has Koscielny valued at €4-7 million, so any fee would probably be minimal. It would get £90,000 a week off the wage bill though. I guess it just depends on whether or not he wants to move.

Arsenal might have to take a real hit on Mustafi because it's hard to figure what kind of fee they might get. I hope they're willing to do it if need be. CIES actually has him valued at €30-40 million. Hard to imagine them getting that much, but maybe Sanllehi's extensive contacts will find a way.
10M wouldn't be bad he still decent CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom