• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Laurent Koscielny

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I don't remember anyone wanting Kos gone, at any stage.

Can you be world class and not an international performer? I don't think so. Maybe we save world class for Chiellini, Barzagli, Godin, Silva etc.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member

Can you be world class and not an international performer? I don't think so. Maybe we save world class for Chiellini, Barzagli, Godin, Silva etc.

JVP has been criticized often that he only performed well for us (and United) but never for our NT at WC/EC. In Holland that is.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

Tbf his first season was very up and down. I remember loads of cards and own goals. I don't know if any wanted him gone per say, but the jury was definitely still out.

Kos' performances for France confuse the life out of me, he looks lost.

Liam Spencer

He is a very good defender, but I think people are getting overboard by calling him world class, best in the world etc., although he has been exceptional for us over the last 2/3 years, he hasn't done anything at the international level and nor has he proven himself at an elite level.

Honestly speaking, I can easily see him looking lost at an elite European club. He has had some good games in Europe, but we haven't been challenging for any of the two major titles since his arrival, so it is easy to understand why he often goes unnoticed.

People won't take note of you if you fail at the international level and get kicked out in the last 16 of the CL every season while limping to 3rd/4th in the league year in year out. FA Cups are not enough.

There are two sides of the coin here: you could say that he looks better than he is because of the fact that his competition is average in Mertesacker and Gabriel, while on the contrary you can use that argument in his favor by suggesting that the fact that he has done so well for us in spite of playing in mediocre defense, he truly is a world class CB.

I'm on the fence with him for now, because there is merit in the argument either way. What I do know is if we seriously challenge for the PL next season and make some headlines in Europe with him starring, he could be off for greener pastures and although I'd like him to retire here, but let's be honest - if Koscielny really wants to be counted among the elite CBs in the world and not just by Arsenal fans, then he has to make that step.

I can see someone like Guardiola and Bayern looking at him in a year or so, they have shown some interest previously as well. He could be a Benatia type signing, someone who has proven himself at a lower level and could prove his worth at an elite level if given the opportunity.

He is not glamorous enough for the likes of Madrid, and his performance for France might put PSG off.

shkabo14

Immense game from the Boss!

Did any off you manage to catch that areal duel between him and Zouma? Epic!
Drogba said "When Zouma jups his knees reach my neck" and Kos just outjumped him like he was the one who higher, has a bigger frame, jump... Boss is a beast!

I believe that he is the 1 player that would be the hardest to replace if injury strukes. That said, I think I saw him limping towards the end as well as holding his hamstrings :(

Last edited:

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Top class player. Top class character.
I dont care for non Arsenal fans not recognizing his class, but think we need to speak more of his brilliance :)
Just because he is so ****ing good doesnt mean we should just take it for granted and spend more time talking about potential targets, or players who are about to explode or the ones we got for big money. Here is a top class defender, absolute beast of a player, wouldnt swap him for any player on planet earth.

Btw; little picture from Sunday's game (my MoTM)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 65

Chappers

Never understood the argument that a player is not a world class player if he doesn't show it on the international stage. If a player is among the best players in the world in his position over the course of a year (45+ games), but doesn't, for a plethora of reasons, perform as well for the national team 5 games a season, why is the overall impression and verdict based on the smaller sample size?

If a player is borderline world class then a stellar international career can help his case, but when Ronaldo and Messi had some growing pains for their national teams, it would be ludicrous to suggest they weren't among the best in the world.

Just to make it clear, the debate about the best player in history should certainly include performances for both club and country, but a world class player should be based on his club performances IMO, not how he performed in 5 qualifiers a season or whether he had enough left in the tank after a grueling season to show his best during a World Cup.

Kos's international career is actually a perfect example to help illustrate why I disagree with those who focus too much on international pedigree. He has always been underrated and lesser players have been in front of him in the past. After he claimed a starting spot he made a big mistake at an inopportune time (can happen to any player at any time) and since his quality in the eyes of his countrymen has been decided and nothing he does for Arsenal changes that. How is that one mistake and the impact it has had in any way analytically viable to determine his quality? Not to mention the emotional and psychological backlash that followed that game has, I'm sure, affected his confidence to a degree.

To sum up, Kos a wurld class ballplaya, fo sho

Last edited:

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
Tbf his first season was very up and down. I remember loads of cards and own goals. I don't know if any wanted him gone per say, but the jury was definitely still out.

Kos' performances for France confuse the life out of me, he looks lost.

I always give new players a year or so to make a judgement. But I knew I was going to love this boy after the Barcelona game at home. He'd only been with us for 5/6 months. Favourite individual performance from an Arsenal player ever.

Best centre back in the world, don't care what anyone says. As for International performances, who gives a flying monkey's toss for that steaming pile of ****? Club football is where the standard is set. No San Marinos/Luxemburgs/Englands in the CL. Look at Messi, ffs. You're playing with players you only play with every few months. Going to be a dip in performances.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I just hope he stays injury free for a long time (not counting smaller injuries). He can go on and play at top level for next 6 years or so. Absolute beast.
Rarely you see defenders so quick, strong, so good in the akr, but so composed wih the ball. I dont want to say he is the best CB today, cause I am not type of a person who will discuss that later with people telling me he is nkt, where are his medals and all that ****; but, I wouldnt swap him for any defender there is, even if that new CB comes in wit extra 20mil pounds...
Lolo the man! Definitely deserves a proper song ('he wants his own song' shouldnt be the only one)

Rishkard_10

I feel that if he was a British player he would have been given so much more credit and respect... The media doesn't recognize that kos is probably the best CB in the premier league some would disagree but base on consistant performance over the years.. The lad has everything.. Hopefully he kicks on for France now..

Bould14

Guys a monster. I have to say our scouting network did what we paid it to do. I remember when a lot of questions were being asked of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom