• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lautaro Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

The Auba and Lacazette dynamic never quite worked and we'd just be continuing this if we sign this guy, even if the dreaded Lacazette leaves.

I feel like we've thrown our needs and focus on finding the correct profile out the window and gone for the opportunistic star power signing which has never quite worked for us.

Are we fine with Auba on the wings indefinitely? Will we play 2 upfront to get the best out of Lautaro?

The main plus sides to this signing is he is admittedly better than everything we have (bar Auba's goalscoring) and he would put an end to the ESR/Willian false 9 stuff from happening ever again. Otherwise this is reminiscent of when we went all in with Saliba and Pepe whilst not addressing more pressing needs.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
The Auba and Lacazette dynamic never quite worked and we'd just be continuing this if we sign this guy, even if the dreaded Lacazette leaves.

I feel like we've thrown our needs and focus on finding the correct profile out the window and gone for the opportunistic star power signing which has never quite worked for us.

Are we fine with Auba on the wings indefinitely? Will we play 2 upfront to get the best out of Lautaro?

The main plus sides to this signing is he is admittedly better than everything we have (bar Auba's goalscoring) and he would put an end to the ESR/Willian false 9 stuff from happening ever again. Otherwise this is reminiscent of when we went all in with Saliba and Pepe whilst not addressing more pressing needs.

Would you say its wise to start the transition away from Laca and Auba now considering the former has one year left and the latter is going downhill fast?

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Would you say its wise to start the transition away from Laca and Auba now considering the former has one year left and the latter is going downhill fast?
Ideally, but then I'd point to Martinelli and Balogun whilst Auba and/or Laca are here.

He's class and there's a window of opportunity there, so I get it but I am sceptical of whether he fixes our problems or if this is just us hoping this guy single handedly changes our fortunes.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I don’t see how Auba will play on the wing of Saka’s fit and Pépé continues his end of season form. If Lautaro comes he and Auba will share cf, at least while the former adapts to the new environment and tactics. Then it’ll be a case of competing between the two. This is ofc assuming Laca would leave.

Agree to an extent, but at the same time Martinez isn’t comparable to Saliba in that he’s (even more) proven and at the absolute highest level as well.

While addressing cf isn’t pressing this season it’ll definitely be so next, unless Martinelli or Balogun develops a lot. Also - by all accounts Martinez is the profile of player Arteta wants. We know that with Pépé it wasn’t at all what Emery wanted. I think it’s a combination of being opportunistic as well as proactive now when the possibility to sign that player has maybe arisen. So in that sense I can really get behind this.

Though the big caveat is that even with Xhaka staying we need to sign another CM given the apparent fragility of Partey. We also need at least a backup AM, if not the main choices of Ødegaard or Maddison. The signing of Martinez cannot in any way hinder that, then it’s just another failure imo.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
You sign Martinez because he makes us better. He'll also be 100m plus by next season. He's the best forward that we could attract. I'm still not convinced that we can sign him.

Gn1212

Gabriel Jesus will be available if City get Kane.
He's better than Lautaro and Abraham imo.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Ideally, but then I'd point to Martinelli and Balogun whilst Auba and/or Laca are here.

He's class and there's a window of opportunity there, so I get it but I am sceptical of whether he fixes our problems or if this is just us hoping this guy single handedly changes our fortunes.

I just don't see Martinelli ever being a striker for some reason. Balogun i'd agree with but he's still so young and inexperienced you can't rely on him.

In my opinion this is the best case scenario moving forward - Martinez, Balogun with Martinelli as third choice striker backup but ultimately taking the LW birth as his own. I don't think Pepe will show consistency and I hope i'm wrong. But Saka RW with ESR AM.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Agree to an extent, but at the same time Martinez isn’t comparable to Saliba in that he’s (even more) proven and at the absolute highest level as well.
I meant more in that we had big problems in the squad and we signed a CB & Forward in Saliba and Pepe. This summer again, we have problems in multiple positions and yet are marquee signings are potentially another CB and Foward again. It's essentially doubling down.

I wasn't really looking at individual personnel per-say I'm sure we all agree White and Martinez are totally different propositions.

I don’t see how Auba will play on the wing of Saka’s fit and Pépé continues his end of season form. If Lautaro comes he and Auba will share cf, at least while the former adapts to the new environment and tactics. Then it’ll be a case of competing between the two. This is ofc assuming Laca would leave.

Auba will be squeezed in because he is Auba, and it will often come at Pepe's expense based on what I saw from last season. Arteta has never really stuck with Auba upfront and I don't see how that changes with Martinez here.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Gabriel Jesus will be available if City get Kane.
He's better than Lautaro and Abraham imo.

I think there’s a decent chance they try and include him in the deal. There won’t be many teams who can buy him so it’s probably easier for them to try and do the deal that way.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

It's hard to really come up with ideas about where all these players will play and operate together because you must factor in Mick's restrictive sufferball system. You could imagine how a front three of Lautaro flanked by Auba and Pepe would work then you remember Auba will be playing as an auxiliary LWB and we'll create no chances.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

It's hard to really come up with ideas about where all these players will play and operate together because you must factor in Mick's restrictive sufferball system. You could imagine how a front three of Lautaro flanked by Auba and Pepe would work then you remember Auba will be playing as an auxiliary LWB and we'll create no chances.
People looking at me like I am crazy but I don't get it.

This is with me fully assuming Lacazette is gone too and I still can't quite picture it. We've never played 2 upfront and we still create less than a handful of chances a game.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
People looking at me like I am crazy but I don't get it.

This is with me fully assuming Lacazette is gone too and I still can't quite picture it. We've never played 2 upfront and we still create less than a handful of chances a game.

The thing I have in my head with Lautaro is that he does play with Lukaku and drops a bit deeper etc. Someone said it the other day but almost like a "9.5". He's the perfect transitional striker for Laca/Auba. But he also doesn't completely block ESR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom