• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

LC: Middlesbrough vs Arsenal | 03/02/04

Andrew

Mark said:
thegame24 said:
Kanu, reyes and wiltord would have all created chances for ali also wiltord would be a goal threat.

, bentley, clichy and parlour has no way near the same effect.

Proof?

when we destroyed wolves 5-1 it was ali kanu and wiltord.

that's hardly proof. this was against the wolves defence not the boro defence which has been very strong this season, and i think the rest of the team that played that night deserve some credit too, it wasn't just kanu, ali and wiltord even though they got the goals.

Yeah, comparing Boro to Wolves is like comparing us to Tottenham. A completely different level. If we played like we did tonight against Wolves on the weekend then we will win easily. We played well I thought, especially considering the sending off, but boro played well as well.

And I'm sure Reyes won't think it's the end of the world. I don't think much bothers him really and he'll just get back to business. Playing alongside Henry and Pires will give him a huge boost. Henry will do his best to make him feel at home.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
lewdikris said:
Does anyone really give a flying f**k? Reyes ain't been bought to play with Bentley, Clichy and Parlour around him. He's been bought to play off Pires Henry and Ljungberg.

Boro played well, but even at minimal strength they weren't much better than us.

Forget it.

On to the next match - one that actually matters.

O, and if anyone thinks the press will be on Reyes' case. They won't. The easy story here is Boro beating an understrength Arsenal - and giving them credit. O, and a slating (quite rightly) of Keown...

Too right. Enough said Goodnight

baccy_man

Established Member
people have got to realise that reyes has only been with us for a week that is not enough time to get used to the way we play let alone the premier league . he will need a few more weeks to get used to things

orion

Fuzzo said:
Reyes wasnt that bad, people say it was a bad mistake, his own goal, but surely his effort to get back for the team shows ambition and willingness, if he hadnt had made an effort, Parnaby would have surely scored anyways, this kid needs time before he can be judged.. Remember, Spain has a far lower pace, once he learns that he doesnt have alot of time, he'll beable to perform as he has done for Sevilla. I doubt the press will have much of a mention of this.

My thoughts excatly.

Fuzzo

I feel Ryan Smith should have had some involvement, I once seen this guy play in a full match, has the makings of a new henry (also looks like him), hes a fantastic dribbler, and hes scored alot of goals for the reserves.

JGooner

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:49 pm Post subject:

Does anyone really give a flying f**k? Reyes ain't been bought to play with Bentley, Clichy and Parlour around him. He's been bought to play off Pires Henry and Ljungberg.

Boro played well, but even at minimal strength they weren't much better than us.

Forget it.

On to the next match - one that actually matters.

O, and if anyone thinks the press will be on Reyes' case. They won't. The easy story here is Boro beating an understrength Arsenal - and giving them credit. O, and a slating (quite rightly) of Keown...

Exactamundo. Who cares about the Carling Cup? Not me. Getting to the semis with a team consisting largely of kids was an achievement in itself.

As for Reyes, don't dare anyone diss him already. The kid has just played his first 90mins, out of position, in a weakened team, against a very competitive and agressive Boro side who are desperate to get to the final. It will take him months to adjust to the pace and physicality of the English game, just as it took Bergkamp, Henry and Pires time. Once he does that, he's away - it's not as if there are any doubts about his ability. As for the og, the fact that he was that far back is a good sign in itself - he knows all players have defensive duties. It will be a good laugh for the press but, a few weeks from now, they'll be drooling over him.

Keown, though, is probably finished. He has peerless commitment and doggedness but his lack of skill leaves him exposed and forces him to rely on professional fouls.

Vilas

On the reyes front, that kid's been really lucky with conditions so far, eh? First driving rain at highbury, now this mud wrestling match. Do they even have rain in spain? ;)

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
We were too lightweight up front, it was asking a lot of Reyes to play with Bentley when he's only been here a week and they're both so young. I thought Bentley did as well as anyone, well apart from Paddy who was immense. But we dominated that second half, why didn't we play like that in the first?

Oh well, we won the wons that counted.

Fuzzo

Did you see wengers face when Keown came off? DISGUSTED..

*Thinks its time for Keown to bow out*

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

I spent the entire game in awe of how bad Boro actually are.

Their finishing remains very poor; they wasted a hatfull of chances over the two legs against a weakened and at times appparantley disinterested Arsenal defence.

You barely noticed their man advantage till they scored the last goal a few minutes from the end.

Arsenal always looked like they might win it, through the second half, when to our credit, we gave Boro a pretty good pasting all things considered.

Ultimately we lost because we were incredibly lightweight up front throughout both legs and had no options :twisted: on the bench, albeit by choice. Kanu can hold it up but can't finish without Henry/Bergkamp/Wiltord/Pires/Llungberg/Aliadiaire along side him sweeping up the openings he can undoubtedly produce. Bentley certainly wasn't up to it in leg one. He looked better tonight & was effectively given the Kanu/Bergkamp creative role where he works better. Reyes is too raw in the English game to have the burden of principle striker thrust upon him, against a "hardman" Boro Defence, without the tools in the form of Pires or Llungberg to assist him. I felt sorry for Reyes tonight because he basically had to fend for himself.

Adam

Established Member
Keown wasn't match sharp which was obvious. His reading of the ball wasn't entirely there which explains the nervous nature of his sending off.

Don't rule the old dog out, yet.

AFCG7

Established Member
I am sure the press will have a field day on Reyes' own goal.. they will make the most of it.. along the lines of 20 million pounds disaster.. etc etc

jc8gooner

Keown wasn't match sharp
That was the real reason for his poor display. He was magnificent when he had to come in for Campbell when his father died. He hasn't become **** in 3 months.

lewdikris

Established Member
I dunno. How many more games will he get this season? He's fourth choice centre half, and may play 5 more times, but he'll be lucky if he gets that.... and retirement is surely awaiting in the summer, with a new squad defender to come in...

n_henry

AFCG7 said:
I am sure the press will have a field day on Reyes' own goal.. they will make the most of it.. along the lines of 20 million pounds disaster.. etc etc

It's a good think he doesn't speak English then. :lol:

Mark

Established Member
keown is just cover now. he played really well earlier in the season with toure before he was injured. since he has come back he hasn't looked very good at all. not the player he used to be unfortunetly.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Vilas said:
On the reyes front, that kid's been really lucky with conditions so far, eh? First driving rain at highbury, now this mud wrestling match. Do they even have rain in spain? ;)

Only on the plain.

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

Adam said:
Keown wasn't match sharp which was obvious. His reading of the ball wasn't entirely there which explains the nervous nature of his sending off.

Don't rule the old dog out, yet.

But he'll never be "match sharp" cos he's no longer first choice. He place in the team relies on his professionalism and he couldn't hack it tonght.

Arsenal are a frail confection in some ways. Don't mean that as a critisism but they can be so much more than the sum of their parts. The can thrive because, usually, Keown and Cygan, say, can through what appears to be sheer willpower cover for the abscemce of Campbell and Torre in the centre; Tourre can do a good job at left/right back. But if Keown dosen't perform then we look like clowns, as we did for parts of the first half.

Luckily this dosen't happen much; the drubbing we got at OT a few seasons back stands out.

Keown screwed up big time tonight;though to be fair we played better without him.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom