• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

League Cup | Arsenal vs. Doncaster Rovers | 20 Sep 2017 - 19:45

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyrth

Well, tbh it's a case of Wenger can't win at all.

First up, those kids are young. They lack real game experience, which I believe is the reason why Wenger shunted them to the least important areas on the pitch. It'll help them to understand professional games, while not impacting our game too much in case they have a stinker as the spine is the most crucial part of the team.

Also, you really can't look at this kids and think after 5 or so games that Wenger haven't developed them by "trying" them in a wrong position. I do believe Wenger isn't trying to retrain AMN and Reiss into our new WBs but to allow them to understand pro games. At the same time, we do not have adequate back up to rest our key players so they fill up those spots.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Respectfully I disagree. I said previously we created jack of all trades and masters of nothing. That's okay with one or two players but literally we have a squad full of them. I don't think it's good for the squad or a player going into a game uncertain of who will play where this week.

Yeah fair enough Bob :)

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Honestly don't understand the upset at playing young players out of position. Gets them used to handling uncomfortable situations, and if anything may lessen any loss of confidence that might come from not playing well. If you play badly in your preferred position then you have little to fall back on.

Especially at wingback, can't think of a better place to blood a young player in so long as they have the attributes to play there. Makes them have to hustle and defend, while also giving them opportunities to attack without being totally crucial to the overall creative build up.

Then they all go back to their regular positions in the U-23 team with that experience under their belt. Keeps 'em hungry to get to play there for the full team.

Kids these days need that sort of thing imo. Can't just have the world handed to them on a plate, they need to feel grateful for what they get.

I don't disagree that youngsters should get time in unfamiliar roles that teach them both sides of the game, I just don't think it should be on their debut. Let them build a foundation of confidence first so you can actually evaluate their ability before their adaptability - which in my view, is an added bonus rather than a pre-requisite.

If Delle Alli joined us instead of Sp**s from MK Dons, he'd probably be getting played left wing, right wing, wing back etc. But Pochettino instead improved the defensive base in midfield and the back so that he could focus on doing damage at the other end. He didn't waste time blooding him in the U23s or league cup, he just gave him minutes in the first team where he knows how to play or left him out on the bench and his confidence skyrocketed from there.

Sometimes I just feel Wenger is overthinking it.

blaze_of_glory

I don't disagree that youngsters should get time in unfamiliar roles that teach them both sides of the game, I just don't think it should be on their debut. Let them build a foundation of confidence first so you can actually evaluate their ability before their adaptability - which in my view, is an added bonus rather than a pre-requisite.

If Delle Alli joined us instead of Sp**s from MK Dons, he'd probably be getting played left wing, right wing, wing back etc. But Pochettino instead improved the defensive base in midfield and the back so that he could focus on doing damage at the other end. He didn't waste time blooding him in the U23s or league cup, he just gave him minutes in the first team where he knows how to play or left him out on the bench and his confidence skyrocketed from there.

Sometimes I just feel Wenger is overthinking it.
Fair enough. Though I would think (hope) that these guys are already quite confident in their abilities, and that Wenger and the other coaches are continually evaluating them no matter what competition or position they are playing in.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Well, tbh it's a case of Wenger can't win at all.

First up, those kids are young. They lack real game experience, which I believe is the reason why Wenger shunted them to the least important areas on the pitch. It'll help them to understand professional games, while not impacting our game too much in case they have a stinker as the spine is the most crucial part of the team.

Also, you really can't look at this kids and think after 5 or so games that Wenger haven't developed them by "trying" them in a wrong position. I do believe Wenger isn't trying to retrain AMN and Reiss into our new WBs but to allow them to understand pro games. At the same time, we do not have adequate back up to rest our key players so they fill up those spots.

We should have brought a new RB like ages ago...... as soon as it became clear Jenkinson has no future with us, Chambers is not comfortable as RB and Debuchy would never recover we should have brought one. This is ridiculous that our youth players should suffer because of Wenger's incompetence. Sanchez has no business playing in the league cup, I have been saying that either he signs a new contract, or he should be sold, or he plays for the U23 for the rest of the season. Nelson should be being fasttracked to be Sanchez's replacement, he is the future of the club.

I do think our youngsters suffer from our large squad, yes the squad is still few players too large.

The youngsters just needs to keep getting time and experience with the first time and hopefully we trim the squad even more next season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom