• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lehman or Seaman

wiltord11

i go with lehmann hes only let 16 goals in the league and nobody on sky sports talk about him they only talk about how good howard is who has let in 23 goals

JGooner

Our defensive record has vastly improved since last season. Most of that is down to Toure, but Lehmann can also claim some credit. I do worry that he has habit of screwing up at vital times (Kiev away, Chelsea on Sunday) but these mistakes are far outweighed by his general assurance, shot-stopping, etc. Stack is highly rated within the club and surely has a better chance of becoming no.1 than Taylor.

The Mini

You cant tell really. What made Seaman exceptionally great was that he stayed consistent through most of his 13/14 years here. Lehmann may have the best defensive record in the Premiership, but I'm not too sure

pamilih

wiltord11 said:
i go with lehmann hes only let 16 goals in the league and nobody on sky sports talk about him they only talk about how good howard is who has let in 23 goals

Sky Sport in owned by the same shareholders as ManUre.

EJub

I like Lehmann, but he still scares me when he comes out so far.

He allowed Leeds their easy goal in the FA cup against us.
I wish he was more careful at times, but I like him.

Nasso

If Seaman had done what Lehmann did vs Kiev, Leeds and Cossacks everyone would have absolutely slaughtered him.
Lehmann is very good, I just hate his Barthez impressions.

The Mini

Seaman's career could've ended much nicer if it wasnt for Scholes. Watch the Macedonia and watch the back post where the ball hits on it's way in, now look down and you'll see a ducking Scholes.

Mark

Established Member
I don't like to say this because apart from these mistakes he makes he's a really good goalkeeper, but 3 times now he's made stupid mistakes and I can't help but just get a little worried whenever the ball is passed back to him. I wish he'd calm down a bit because apart from that he's a great shot stopper and really organises our defence well. I'd choose him over Seaman now, but over the years I think Seaman was one of the best.

Nasso

Yes, Scholes definitely did duck in that game - I've said it all along in arguments with Seaman-bashers.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Not a contest.
Seaman between 90-00 although he made silly errors, was game for game the best in the league. However, by the time we got rid, he was past it and Jens is a vast improvement.

Henry's Girl

EJub said:
I like Lehmann, but he still scares me when he comes out so far.

He allowed Leeds their easy goal in the FA cup against us.
I wish he was more careful at times, but I like him.
same here, i get a heart attack everytimes he's out the 18yard box

JazzG

Established Member
He is prone to the odd error but he has done very well for us. Last season Seaman was past it and it showed, he looked shaky on any balls coming into the box and I used to get scared in general when people shot towards the goal! With Lehmann I feel a lot more confident.

Sammer

Established Member
The topic-headline is not quite right imo, it should be like:

"Do we want Spunky (of today) back?"

As we are talking about the real world on this forum, the question is whether we feel more confident with Lehmann than with the Seaman of today.

If we are talking about Seamans past, you might as well open up a topic like "Adams or Cygan" or sth. similar.

My personal view is, that we do not want Seaman back. Lehmann is doing well and our defensive record has (besides the great Kolo Toure) a lot to do with Lehmann reading and organising our defensive game.

It´s no coincidence, that Borussia Dortmund had the best defense last year, when Lehmann was between the post, and one of the worst as soon as he left.

Aussie

Established Member
People seem to remember stuff ups but dont remember 5 minutes before with that great save he made that was definatly going in. Jens has made some great saves during the year and has got better with every game he has played for arsenal

Arjan

Lehmann has the confidence needed for a great goalkeeper, but he has a very short fuse, if only he could borrow seaman's.

Opponents know that winding up Lehmann works in their favour, like Philips did, just winding Lehmann up to get him sent off.

That would never have happened witt Seaman IMO.

Arsenal Quotes

Football is a bit like elections. Before it's unpredictable. After it's unexplainable... But there's an opportunity for us to make it unforgettable.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom