• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Leno or Martinez?

Leno or Martinez for number 1?

• Total voters

Corbulo

This is a classic wife/mistress dilemma. It's not a nice problem to have once everyone knows about it. Hanging on to an affair in hopes that a man will leave his wife is something many mistresses do and this could turn quite ugly for our German blondie.

I picked Leno but I honestly have no idea. He knows we have another life which he will never be a part of.

I'm sorry but the affair with Martinez will continue. It's a bit risky. It could be just a thrilling, romantic whirlwind which could end up in a disheartening situation. I'm having a hard time letting Martinez go though. He has already performed in some high pressure big games.

FluffyDoozi

Depends on how Arteta wants to play if he gets the players he wants. If he wants to play a 433 with a very high backline like City do then Leno is the guy. He's super quick, decent with his feet and probably the best pure shotstopper in the league at least on current form.

I do like Emi though, been patient all his life for this chance and he's grabbed it with both hands. He seems to genuinely love the club as well.
Still think the sample size is too small compared to Leno who's proven to do it consistently so Leno edges it for me.

Let's just enjoy having both of them and let Arteta decide.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I say keep Martinez for the league games, by the time Leno is fully up and running we'll have EL and League Cup games to play anyways. If Martinez has a dip in form or whatever then bring in Leno. We don't need to make this complicated. But to drop Martinez the second Leno is back would be really harsh.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
If we’re accepting one of them has to be sold keeping both for another year is probably the worst thing we can do. Martinez has two years left on his contract so you either sell him or renew him this summer. He’ll be wanting to get paid like a no.1 GK if he stays (probably only signs if they tell him he’s no.1 anyway). That means we’ve got two high earning keepers, one of which will need to be sold and at that point it’s a lot harder to shift either of them. Who’s going to want Leno and his £100k a week salary? I can’t think of many clubs, especially if he has sat on the bench for a year.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Happy we have both, mean while Chelsea paid 80M for Kepa and everything just goes through him.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Both in perfect age for GK but we'll have to make decisions think it'll be between gk coach and mikel.

It's win-win situation but it'll be sad to lose one and we have no good and ready young gk to be backup

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I rate both of them highly. More confident with Martinez on crosses into the box whilst Leno has made some great saves this season but then so has Martinez. Easy to forget for a while this season Leno was arguably our best player for a period but so happy for Martinez. If I had to pick one I'd go for Martinez.

Ideally I'd keep both next season and then decide next summer with both getting regular games in cups/Europe and league but I know that may not be possible.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Need to see more of Martinez before we decide tbh, I still prefer Leno, only issue is his dominance in the box.

Alkesh

Realistically, whichever one we don't get a good offer for. I think there might be a couple big clubs looking for a keeper this summer, and we should cash in if can.

If I had to pick one to keep, I would probably pick Leno. The only reason is consistency; the last two years have shown me that Leno's performances earlier in the year are his true level. There simply isn't a large enough sample to know if that's the case for Martinez yet.

One other point I'd add is this; Leno was carrying us during a period in the season where our defense outside of him looked pretty awful. I think that Arteta has the whole defense playing better (especially after the restart), and that does make Martinez look better to a degree. I'd be curious to see how Leno looks with this improved defense.

On further reflection, we're in a bit of weird spot actually. Leno and Martinez are both too good to have as a second choice, but I'm also not at all convinced by what I've seen of Macey or our younger keepers. If a big offer comes in, I think we have to take it to reinforce other parts of the squad; but I'd actually be slightly concerned about our backup keeper situation if we did.

Last edited:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Martinez for me. He starts as no 1 if the short pre season goes well and we must extend his contract to protect ourselves. The point made about playing with the crowd is a good one but I'd keep both next season tk see how they fare with decent coaching and also a hopefully better defence and system. Leno in 1v1's is feted but I hope a better defence will leave the GK less exposed. Martinez is better with his feet, his distribution is better and his decision making and speed of play is better. He also commands his box. Martinez is the first GK since Seaman who doesn't give me the jitters and it's been 18 years since Seaman left. I favour Leno on first team experience only.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Chelsea would be mugs if they didn’t try to tempt us with 20M for Leno.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Martinez for me. When corners or balls where pumped into the box I didnt have to hold my breath. Martinez is calm and commanding.

He has earned the right to stay number 1. Now we have more competitions to play in Leno gets Europe and Cups and let them challenge and push one another.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
Martinez all day. Better with his feet, better in the air and the players like him. Didn’t you see Auba calling him the best in their post-match interview? He’s tired of Leno punching every cross for a throw-in.

Vibra

Established Member
What a perfect time to get a run of games for Martinez though, Fabianski would have pulled a hammy right as Leno went down the poor bastard

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I think it's as simple as it's his to lose now. No reason to drop him.

Manberg

Predator
I’d rather not choose, but for now it’s Martinez. I’m gobsmacked at how good he’s been since be stepped in. Things can change though. Hope he keeps it up next season.

Top Bottom