• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Leno or Martinez?

Leno or Martinez for number 1?

• Total voters

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We only have 3 players that in current form would grace any Prem team Auba, Emi and Tierney . . in that order.

Got a feeling he'll get some offers this summer.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
We only have 3 players that in current form would grace any Prem team Auba, Emi and Tierney . . in that order.

Got a feeling he'll get some offers this summer.

Think he will need assurances but will eventually stay-put. A lot of these players really believe in Arteta and when you have that sort of relationship with the players like Arteta does, players would fight and bleed on the pitch for you.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
As good as he's been, I'm not ready to jump on the Emi bandwagon after just a couple of months.
Leno has been consistent throughout the last season and a half and in my book he's got the better reflexes.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
thumb_why-not-both-why-not-both-memes-49531590.png

At least for another year, like you yourself said @Hunta

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Martinez deserves to be 1st choice until something happens to change that.. His performances have earned him the place.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Easily Martinez. Leno gives you the same vibes as the likes of Cech, Woj, Almunia, etc.

The form Martinez has displayed has been the best a GK has shown for us since Lehman in our CL run in 2006.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Easily Martinez. Leno gives you the same vibes as the likes of Cech, Woj, Almunia, etc.

The form Martinez has displayed has been the best a GK has shown for us since Lehman in our CL run in 2006.

Woj wasn't as bad as Cech and Almunia, bar his very dodgy end to his career here...between 2011-2014, I thought he was very good for us overall.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Woj wasn't as bad as Cech and Almunia, bar his very dodgy end to his career here...between 2011-2014, I thought he was very good for us overall.

Not saying any of them was bad though? I'm talking about how confident you feel about them in goal. They could f*ck at any time and you wouldn't be surprised, it's different with Martinez. Obviously still early days though.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Hopefully not something like a mistake that costs us.

He has accumulated enough credit to deserve the spot even if he makes a mistake or two.

Yeah I didn't mean one or two mistakes, more like if he has a prolonged run of poor form or if we see a reverse of what happened with Leno coming in and performing at a level where he becomes undroppable.

I'm confident Martinez can keep up this level though.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Two outstanding goalkeeping options.

Emi- My one gripe with Emi was his mentality when conceding a goal- I’ve seen games where he’s started, conceded a goal and his head went. No such thing since the restart of the season- we’ve conceded goals and he’s still been incredible. He has presence in the box, he’s an imposing figure- he’s capable of magnificent saves and also has quality distribution.

Leno- Our most consistent player alongside Auba before his injury. Leno is superb and he’s hardly put a foot wrong here since he signed. Unbelievable reflexes, cat-like agility, his decision making whether to catch or punch is also fantastic. His long kicking could be better but he can pop 5-10 yard passes no problem.

What should we do? We should do what Barca did a few years ago when they had Ter Stegen and Bravo (when he was good.) Play one keeper in all league games (guaranteed 38 games) and play the other in EVERY other cup competition. The only trouble is which way round it should be :lol:.

Last edited:

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
This is a great headache to have but at this moment it's got to be Emi for me.

GDeep™

League is very weak
How tiny does Leno look next to Martinez btw? Big difference.

On corners you notice a big difference, Martinez come out to catch the ball and Leno tends to stay on his line.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

All about sample size. Make the decision next summer.

If this isn’t a purple patch then Emi’s ability to play out from the back makes the decision a very simple one tbh.

FinnGooner

Established Member
All about sample size. Make the decision next summer.

If this isn’t a purple patch then Emi’s ability to play out from the back makes the decision a very simple one tbh.

Exactly this. We all hope Emi is not on a purple patch because he has the arial dominance that Leno doesn't but we can easily afford to keep both for next season and make sure Emi truly has the long term consistency in his locker. Sample size is just too small to be sure right now. And with Europa league, we have enough cup games to give to Leno as well. He's obviously good enough keeper for us to play him in cups without compromising our chances to achieve success. Also, injuries happen. How stupid would we look if we now decided to sell one of them and then right from the get go of next season we lost our no.1 to injury. With our injury record I wouldn't take the chance.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
It's got to be Martinez given what he's shown since coming in. Yeah Leno has shown consistency over a longer period of time but in terms of absolute quality Martinez has shown he's better. Until is form dips I don't see why we should drop him.

Harsh on Leno since he didn't really do anything to deserve being dropped and it was just bad luck, but Martinez has also been slumming it for 10 years due to no fault of his own either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom