• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Leno or Martinez?

Leno or Martinez for number 1?

• Total voters

DavidHillier

Back to A-M 😞
I just like that we have a fantastic understudy to Leno. We could only say that in 1999 when Manninger deputised Seaman and Lukic did thereafter.

Maybe Javi is just a competent 'keeper? Maybe he is actually better than Leno?

I can't actually tell and can't decide. If I had to choose one to leave it would be Martinez but I don't want him to go, either

DavidHillier

Back to A-M 😞
Just to make Leno more unpopular here...the fans have voted him ahead of Saka, in the player of the season vote :lol:

Saka has been announced as third place on the Arsenal website, Auba and Leno are the only other contenders...man, imagine the scenes if Leno gets first place!

I think Leno ought to get first place.

I can count 2 and a half mishaps this season (Chelsea, Olympiakos and potentially Rottenham at home)

Other than that, he's been exemplary.

Manberg

Predator
Here’s my plan: Play Martinez every game. Then the first mistake Martinez makes, replace him with Leno. When Leno makes a mistake, go back to Martinez. Rinse and repeat.

DavidHillier

Back to A-M 😞
How many mishaps has Martinez had?
Let Martinez play threr quarters of a season and he's also making mistakes, even if it's something like just not running off hisbline quick enough, or something.

We're also not weighing in with Auba's mistakes here- timee when he should have finished but didn't, for example

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Yeah Leno has been our joint best player this season.

Not saying that Martinez should be dropped at all, but yeah let’s not forget Martinez has a small sample size and team form in his favour. A number of players that got dragged on AM picked up form once crowd groans was taken out of the equation.

Leno was the only thing keeping us from obliteration in our darkest times this season.

Martinez keeps his place until further notice but I don’t know if it’s black and white who’s better just yet.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Let Martinez play threr quarters of a season and he's also making mistakes, even if it's something like just not running off hisbline quick enough, or something.

We're also not weighing in with Auba's mistakes here- timee when he should have finished but didn't, for example

This has nothing to do with Auba.

The post said Leno made 2 and a half errors.

Indicating that 2.5 errors is good for a keeper.

I'm asking how many Martinez has made so far. It's not hard to divide errors by games played. Martinez has made 0 errors.

Leno is high up on errors leading to goals this season. Until Martinez starts making errors hes number one. It's really as simple as that.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Just to make Leno more unpopular here...the fans have voted him ahead of Saka, in the player of the season vote :lol:

Saka has been announced as third place on the Arsenal website, Auba and Leno are the only other contenders...man, imagine the scenes if Leno gets first place!

Why would that be controversial? Leno had a better season than Saka.

You’re acting like people hate Leno, what kind of victim complex sh*t is this.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Leno is high up on errors leading to goals this season. Until Martinez starts making errors hes number one. It's really as simple as that.
Leno played more. Until Emi plays the same amount of games in goal so we can see the number of errors he makes, Leno is number one. It's really as simple as that.

DavidHillier

Back to A-M 😞
Finally, some sense. No other club has two keepers of this caliber. Sell one and keep the other.

Can't disagree.

Are we overrating Martinez because he's competent? He's literally doing what a back up 'keeper should. We tried with Almunia, Woj, Fabianski, Mannone, Richard Wright (even Stuart Taylor for not running off his line v Liverpool)

I think Martinez is very good and clearly a better 'keeper than the likes of De Gea. However, de Gea and Leno will have a "stock" value (very high) that other goalies like Martinez won't.

Therefore, if we *had* to sell one, I still can't decide who.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

To be completely honest, I feel so much more confident with Martinez in goals especially on set pieces because of his height & he is willing to catch the ball not just punch it away & the chance continuing. Don't get me wrong, nothing against Leno at all, I still love him & am confident with him on 1 v 1 situations. Martinez aswell though getting it from out the back. So I'll be honest, I'm willing to & prefer to keep Martinez as our #1 choice for next season.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
I think Martinez is very good and clearly a better 'keeper than the likes of De Gea. However, de Gea and Leno will have a "stock" value (very high) that other goalies like Martinez won't.

Therefore, if we *had* to sell one, I still can't decide who.

Not sure i'd agree Martinez is a better keeper than De Gea or Leno yet, it's too soon to say imo. I'm sure if you looked at Leno's overall career at Arsenal you could find a 3 month stretch of magnificent performance.

idk who to sell either though but I know we should do it asap.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I prefer Martinez because he’s taller with a longer reach tbh. That means a lot for a goal keeper.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Leno played more. Until Emi plays the same amount of games in goal so we can see the number of errors he makes, Leno is number one. It's really as simple as that.

So if Lacazette scores 20 goals in 30 games and Auba scores 10 goals in 10 games you cannot work out who is better until Auba plays the other 20.

That the stupidest comment I have ever heard.

You can work out mistakes per a number of games. If you have a brain that is.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Arsenal.com featuring two articles praising Leno. I think we’re being groomed for him to be first choice.

So how does a number 2 ever become a number 1? What does it take? Martinez has been patient. Has finally got the chance to prove himself over 9-10 games. Hasnt put a single foot wrong. Leno who has 7 errors leading to goals in the PL this season just walks back into the team and everything Emi has done counts for nothing. Your basically saying you will never be no.1 no matter what you do.

That is the complete opposite of what competition is all about. And a non competitive team becomes a problem as players know they wont be dropped. Similar to De Gea at United.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom