• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Let's all laugh at Man Utd: Istanbald

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Apparently he’s waving the white flag against PSG and resting key players for Sunday.

That red Pogba got actually hinders us, he’s racked up a lot of minutes recently and now he’s getting a break.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I don't know to what extent it's happening, but you can't honestly believe that Solksjaer's produced this turnaround on his own?
This sort of revival happens often actually. Clearly the players had downed tools under Mourinho. He creates a hostile enviroment. Look at their squad. Do you honestly believe they are the 6th best team in the league as they were sitting before Oleh???? Come off it mate. They're a good side. A half decent manager could get them into the top four.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
This sort of revival happens often actually. Clearly the players had downed tools under Mourinho. He creates a hostile enviroment. Look at their squad. Do you honestly believe they are the 6th best team in the league as they were sitting before Oleh???? Come off it mate. They're a good side. A half decent manager could get them into the top four.

Agree. You can also see that they're basically just playing basic football to their average ability again - there's no intricate tactics or whatever going on. Don't think you need Fergie for that. Right now it's not so much about who their manager is, but just that miserable Mou isn't anymore. The shackles have come off, there's a good atmosphere again and they have a good squad that can cope without a tactical genius for a run in.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Agree. You can also see that they're basically just playing basic football to their average ability again - there's no intricate tactics or whatever going on. Don't think you need Fergie for that. Right now it's not so much about who their manager is, but just that miserable Mou isn't anymore. The shackles have come off, there's a good atmosphere again and they have a good squad that can cope without a tactical genius for a run in.
I read a brilliant article written after Mou's last Chelsea stint which stated that he creates this siege mentality within the club. Everything is against them; The refs, the decisions, the weather, the everything. For the first season it sort of works as the fight or flight mentality is instilled and most players (being in a competitive atmosphere for their whole lives) thrive for a bit and take the challenge head on. But after a couple of seasons it becomes draining. Players feel victimised and, just as any nation, people or anything under constant siege, begin to revolt against the 'oppressor'. Who they eventually see as Mou himself. His own tactic is his biggest downfall.
Compare that to Klopp or Wenger who embody loyalty and promote harmony and longevity as much as possible within the team.
So your "the shackles are off" is probably the only real way of describing United's 'revival'... Which as you say is just them playing to their 'average ability'.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
I was as skeptical as most other posters on here about Solskjær earlier on, but now I'm not sure he's going to bottle it in the long run, I think it's easy to write him off -I'm not so sure we should anymore.

He's not tactically inept or just a cheerleader like some people imagine him to be, I've seen him manage domestically, he's mini-Fergie in some ways, he's clever, but I didn't believe he'd do so well with Man Utd.

If he's still managing them next season and Man Utd. make some good signings in the summer, I think they're going to be right up there top three, maybe challenging for the title although I wouldn't bet on them to win it.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I was as skeptical as most other posters on here about Solskjær earlier on, but now I'm not sure he's going to bottle it in the long run, I think it's easy to write him off -I'm not so sure we should anymore.

He's not tactically inept or just a cheerleader like some people imagine him to be, I've seen him manage domestically, he's mini-Fergie in some ways, he's clever, but I didn't believe he'd do so well with Man Utd.

If he's still managing them next season and Man Utd. make some good signings in the summer, I think they're going to be right up there top three, maybe challenging for the title although I wouldn't bet on them to win it.
Look I'm not saying you are wrong but it is quite peculiar that so many before him HAVE failed to get the best out of this HUGELY expensive squad.
Any manager would lick their lips taking on this job yet Moyes, LVG and Mou all stuffed it up quite spectacularly. To the point that now everybody is debating how great Ole is...
As I said, he may very well be great, but the absolute failure before him has left some low expectations and we're seeing him reap the reward for that...
Also, Mou did win things for them so they've basically just not re-evaluated their expectations during the transition.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
Look I'm not saying you are wrong but it is quite peculiar that so many before him HAVE failed to get the best out of this HUGELY expensive squad.
Any manager would lick their lips taking on this job yet Moyes, LVG and Mou all stuffed it up quite spectacularly. To the point that now everybody is debating how great Ole is...
As I said, he may very well be great, but the absolute failure before him has left some low expectations and we're seeing him reap the reward for that...
Also, Mou did win things for them so they've basically just not re-evaluated their expectations during the transition.
I don't think there should be a discussion on his potential greatness as of yet, Solskjær hasn't done anything to earn to be called great, it's typical of the football scene to exaggerate.

But what I'd say puts him apart from all the other managers that Man Utd. had hired before him is that none of them were like Fergie and he is, and maybe that's exactly what they need from a manager.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
Interested to hear your reasoning behind this. Not suggesting you are wrong, just curious.
Similar sort of thing with Arsenal when Wenger was leaving, everybody emphasized that it was important that the "soul" that Wenger had created for the club was kept alive (attacking football and all that) and that if it weren't things wouldn't work out well for us, and I think for once everybody was right about that, because it's not just how the club plays really, it's what the club is in a way and one thing that every Man Utd. fan I've seen say after Solskjær took over is that the club's identity is back, I don't think we can over-emphasize how much that matters to clubs like ours where we have decades of a specific type of culture at the clubs.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Similar sort of thing with Arsenal when Wenger was leaving, everybody emphasized that it was important that the "soul" that Wenger had created for the club was kept alive (attacking football and all that) and that if it weren't things wouldn't work out well for us, and I think for once everybody was right about that, because it's not just how the club plays really, it's what the club is in a way and one thing that every Man Utd. fan I've seen say after Solskjær took over is that the club's identity is back, I don't think we can over-emphasize how much that matters to clubs like ours where we have decades of a specific type of culture at the clubs.
Good point. I have in recent times negated this theory but you've explained it in such a way that I think I agree. Also, we looked better in the last two fixtures with more of a plan. Even though we allowed Sp**s to have the ball we were in the mindset to attack when given the chance. Hence Rambo's goal.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I don't know to what extent it's happening, but you can't honestly believe that Solksjaer's produced this turnaround on his own?

Absolutely he has. There's really nothing complicated about it. It's not a matter of some tactical genius. It's simple man management. He's merely made playing football fun for them again. He freed them. The rest just followed naturally.

Toby

Moyes, LVG and Mou all stuffed it up quite spectacularly

I'm not taking sides here really or outright denying they somehow or clearly failed, but all of these have a story to their own - and the common denominator of those stories are Ed Woodward and expectations.

Man Utd thought they were so mighty they could get the biggest muppets and remain champions and they have one guy at the helm who's probably one of the worst football execs out there. They first did a sentimental one appointing another Scotsman who has clearly nothing about him that says "let me have a top club and I'll do a job". They then went for the project of van Gaal, and sure they were playing questionable football, but they didn't even let him finish his thingy and he did have Woodward sitting in his neck. Then they went for a name with Mourinho who didn't fit anything at the club and who was still burned by the latest Chelsea stint.

I'm not saying Ole is going to make it, but, despite of the names, all three before him have been horrible choices within the right context. Thing is now, Solskjaer in isolation might sound like a horrible name, but within context he could turn out to be a sensible choice for a while. If they hire him for 2 more years and he delivers solid football, harmony in the squad, Top 3 finishes and a more coherent squad than it is now - after that tenure they will be far better off than they are now.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

This revival and new manager effect is taking a bit too long for my liking. Why couldn’t they just keep Mourinho ffs. Some smart purchases and good squad harmony can get you a long way, I need this train to be derailed soon.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Agree. I believe he could have become an all time great or cult player in football, but he chose to become an egotistical **** (and overloaded his body).

I agree, he did a RVP, jumped ship at the expense of becoming a legend. He's just one more example of grass not always greener!

Toby

I agree, he did a RVP, jumped ship at the expense of becoming a legend. He's just one more example of grass not always greener!

Yes, but I'm even thinking not just Arsenal great, but all time football great - or at least cult player, as I said. He was very good in his last Barca season, excellent for Arsenal for a good time, star player for a Chile team that won the Copa America on home soil and then defended it one year later. That's already quite something. He's definitely one of Chile's all time Top 3 players.

But he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and on top of that a weirdo with delusions of grandeur, who seemingly isolates himself from teammates 'cause the thinks he's better, and almost ferociously driven to perform physically - and all those things have affected his play and his choices on where to play. With his egotistical diva behaviour and play he was already losing his mojo at Arsenal. He should have just manned up and not be such a prancy pony already thinking himself on the levels of Messi.

Last edited:

Arsenal Quotes

I've never been a goalscorer. I've only owned goals. Good own goals.

Steve Bould
Top Bottom