• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Let's all laugh at Man Utd: Istanbald

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

:lol: Somehow I’m still very excited for new season. Probably because it‘s a new manager in a new season always get every fans excited.
Probably be a fun season, reminds me of Emery’s first summer, signed a load of cheap dossers and got joy from watching academy lads get games.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Honest question, is Maguire good on the ball? I know he can be a calamity defending but how are his on the ball skills? I never paid attention.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
Probably be a fun season, reminds me of Emery’s first season, signed a load of cheap dossers and got joy from season academy lads getting games.
New things always give something to look for. I cannot wait for the new season to start.

And also United players are kinda cheap now in FPL :lol: :lol:

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Honest question, is Maguire good on the ball? I know he can be a calamity defending but how are his on the ball skills? I never paid attention.

I think he carries the ball forward quite well. Not sure about his passing range. Mustafi actually had a very decent passing range and Tets preferred him to the more solid Sokratis for that reason.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Where Are You Hello GIF by 1huddle

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He's extremely one footed and slow to move the ball under pressure, for most teams he'd be the pressing trigger. I copped this all the way back in 2019 when we played them and I was screaming for us to put pressure on him because he just can't deal with it. I'd say he's a good deep block CB or even acceptable in a back three. But if he's playing in a 4 on a team that wants to be on the front foot I think it comes with so many problems.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

1657013369028.png

Laurie Whitwell and Pol Ballus
Jul 5, 2022

Manchester United’s Instagram welcomed back those players reporting to Carrington for the first time this pre-season with a video filmed in the entrance corridor of the first-team building. There were fist bumps for Bruno Fernandes, Harry Maguire, and Raphael Varane among others. Cristiano Ronaldo was conspicuous by his absence.

The player who featured in more social media posts than any other during the last campaign was elsewhere, and his name dominated the comments below. “Where is CR7?” asked one, attracting more than 1,000 likes. An inevitable sideshow of having a wantaway global superstar, perhaps, United certainty stoked the fire over the past year. In January, the official account wrote on Twitter: “Anyone else go about their day saying Siuuuuuu 100+ times?”

United haven’t posted about Ronaldo since June 25 — a lifetime in the Twitterverse for someone so invested in its appeal, so anyone wondering why now for the launch of his exit plan might have an alternative, playful answer.

The serious reasons for Ronaldo’s no-show are being debated in the industry and specifically the timing, described by some close to the club as “awful”. He knew United would not be in the Champions League in April but waited until July to communicate his intentions.

Some wonder if the trigger has been pulled because a deal is now on the table, with Chelsea giving proper consideration to signing him. Then there is the salary reduction that all United players have in their contract in the event of the team failing to reach the Champions League. The clause stipulates 25 per cent as a general rule.

Others speculate that his concerns about the club gnawed at his psyche as the days progressed since his interview at the start of June, where he spoke of being “very happy” at United and raised the prospect of winning trophies under new manager Erik ten Hag. Although close to signing Tyrell Malacia and Christian Eriksen, United are yet to officially add to a squad that finished sixth last season and lost Paul Pogba, Nemanja Matic, Edinson Cavani, Juan Mata, and Jesse Lingard.

During group conversations at Carrington last season, Ronaldo questioned United’s executive leadership and though the club would argue there is growing empowerment at director level, there has not been the impetus of fresh faces ready for Ten Hag’s first days on the training pitches.

At various stages last season Ronaldo privately expressed exasperation at United’s trajectory, and the capabilities of the club to correct course, and informed sources feel the next step in attempts to leave would be to go public. He took similar action in January when in an interview with Sky Sports he said: “I think to build up a good thing sometimes you have to destroy a few things. I remember when I was 18, some older players spoke with me and I took that as having to improve, they know more than me as they have more bad moments. This new generation in general don’t accept that if you criticise them. I have kids I know. They do the opposite.”

He is furrowing his own path now to engineer a move to a club which is competing in Europe’s elite competition.

He cited family reasons as the cause of his absence on Monday, an explanation given to United before the morning it was communicated to the wider world. United have details and accept Ronaldo’s position, and he was not expected to attend training on Tuesday either.

GettyImages-1240515960.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo missed Manchester United training on Monday (Photo: Matthew Ashton – AMA/Getty Images)
It is not known when he will return, however. A video was posted online allegedly showing Ronaldo driving his Rolls Royce Phantom out of the Portugal national team’s training ground in Lisbon, so if correct he would first have to get back to England.

Given those circumstances, his place on the plane to Bangkok on Friday for the first leg of United’s pre-season tour is in genuine doubt. Many people around the club are wondering if he will board that flight and beyond to Australia, which would be a significant commercial blow to the organisers of friendlies against Liverpool, Crystal Palace, Melbourne City and Aston Villa.

Sponsors will have banked on Ronaldo’s presence and usually there are financial penalties in tour contracts for a club failing to send all major first-teamers, although family reasons should constitute a fair mitigating factor.

There would be a sporting cost, of course. Ten Hag plans to use the time in Melbourne and Perth for significant squad preparation and coaching.

Whether Ronaldo should form part of Ten Hag’s strategy is being debated by people at United. For all the club’s insistence he is not for sale, there are suspicions that decision-makers think it is a suitable opportunity to sell and recalibrate the attack. There are echoes with Juventus, Ronaldo’s former club. On the eve of the first game of 2021-22, Max Allegri said: “Ronaldo has told me he’s staying so let’s get that straight.” The Portuguese forward rejoined United days later.

Whether owner Joel Glazer and chief executive Richard Arnold would countenance handing Ronaldo, with all his commercial glamour, to Chelsea is doubted by some sources familiar with their working practices.

Reports emerged last night that Barcelona president Joan Laporta had discussed Ronaldo with the player’s agent Jorge Mendes during a meeting that evening, and instantly the mind wandered to the idea of Frenkie de Jong’s proposed deal getting greased by the 37-year-old.

United would presumably need to replace Ronaldo but the options appear limited. Paulo Dybala, a previous target, is available on a free transfer. Robert Lewandowksi is open to a move from Bayern Munich, even if Barcelona are advanced on that score. Perhaps if talks do begin in earnest with Chelsea, United could inquire about Armando Broja? Jamie Vardy may be 35 but scored 15 Premier League goals last season and has yet to be offered a new contract at Leicester City.

The answer is not obvious.

Back at Carrington, the players are following developments but conversation is mainly on other topics, such as the intensity of Ten Hag’s sessions. Several are said to be relishing a manager being central to coaching. His demands are high but welcomed.

In the boardroom, transfers are being progressed, with an announcement for Malacia expected soon. Eriksen’s free transfer should also be completed in the coming days. Lisandro Martinez again reiterated his desire to leave Ajax during a meeting on Monday and United ideally want to wrap up the move before departing for Thailand, although Arsenal are battling for the defender’s signature.

The pursuit of De Jong is a little farther off possible completion. It is not thought an agreement will be reached in time for take off on Friday but he could join up later if a breakthrough occurs, with the squad travelling to Australia on July 13. Laporta’s claims that De Jong is not for sale were taken with a pinch of salt by those familiar to discussions.

Whether Ronaldo ever takes the field alongside any of these proposed team-mates is shrouded in mystery.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Eriksen is a really good signing but you don’t hear much about in on AM, as per.
A topic to be discussed next on me podcast

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
As funny as that Ronaldo wage news is.

That does feel a bit like the club briefing the fans to turn against him, as they will be selling him this window.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not scared to spend money. If you go out with me one night, you will understand that.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom