• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lets rate our 2021 summer transfer window.

How do you rate our transfer business this summer?

• Total voters

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
I would expect something like 3 million raise for such an first bid.

For a 30 million offer 5 million next bid makes more sense.

Ornstein said "under 20".
The Guardian are talking about the total value of the bid, Ornstein meant the initial fee without add-ons.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

It's common sense:

If the next bid totaled £20m it stands to reason that some or all of that £5m gap was bridged by add-ons
Yeah, but how can you assume the bid totaled 20 million when there are different reports? 5 million to 15 is a huge raise.

Also how can you assume the 15 million bid didn't include addons, and what kind of addons they were?

Maybe it wasn't good enough addons to accept the bid.

Anyway, were are like 2 million apart with our estimates, so it's not a very big deal.

Mirror also said we wanted 20 million, so why didn't we accept 20 million then? Doesn't make sense.

Melquiades

You guys really arguing over 5 mil for a player we didn't sell in the end :lol:

We aren't getting anywhere near 20 mil anymore anyways so it's whatever.

I'd argue that given the inflation in the transfer market that a 24 y/o with 5 England caps would still be getting very much in the 20 million range and generate substantial interest from several mid-lower table PL teams. I don't think we've lost anything by not selling him.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I'd argue that given the inflation in the transfer market that a 24 y/o with 5 England caps would still be getting very much in the 20 million range and generate substantial interest from several mid-lower table PL teams. I don't think we've lost anything by not selling him.
We will see, I think transfer fees rankle the fans more than the club at times. I could imagine Arsenal not entertaining loans and stuff because of AFCON/covid roulette.

Melquiades

We will see, I think transfer fees rankle the fans more than the club at times. I could imagine Arsenal not entertaining loans and stuff because of AFCON/covid roulette.

Oh, absolutely.

I just don't think that AMN is any sort of a 'dead' asset that wouldn't generate interest if we look to move him. There's still a lot of pedigree there and he's still young, and it's a market where Joe Willock got 25 million.

Oh, absolutely.

I just don't think that AMN is any sort of a 'dead' asset that wouldn't generate interest if we look to move him. There's still a lot of pedigree there and he's still young, and it's a market where Joe Willock got 25 million.
Joe scored 8 odd goals in his loan spell.

AMN has done nothing, ever.

5 England Caps and was a starter in a winning FA Cup run?

Willock inflated his value with that obvious fluke run but AMN has a lot higher profile and pedigree.
And yet, here we are.

If the market rated him better than Willock, there would be a bid higher than 25m for him. But it doesn't (and its impartial) and there isn't.

His level wad that loan spell with WBA last season.

Melquiades

And yet, here we are.

If the market rated him better than Willock, there would be a bid higher than 25m for him. But it doesn't (and its impartial) and there isn't.

His level wad that loan spell with WBA last season.

We don't really know what the market was for him last summer or what we wanted for him. And I didn't say he'd be getting 25m+. I suspect he'd still be in the 15-20m range he was in during summer 2020. He's still a 24 y/o guy with 5 England caps and the English tax on him. Daniel James went for 25 million to Leeds last summer with a similar pedigree to AMN. A guy like Adam Armstrong went for 15m to Southampton based on scoring some goals in the Championship.

I'd be very surprised if Newcastle/Watford type teams didn't have substantial interest in this player in January. But again, given our lack of depth in midfield we may not be overly interested in selling.

tcahill

I rated it 7. Was impressed with our incomings, although would have preferred a CM rather than Ben White. The best thing for me was our change in approach from older players too a more long term project.

Disappointed that Kola, Cedric, Xhaka and Elneny were still here, but I guess with no acceptable bids that's hardly on Edu.

Thought Willock's sale was a good move, which has so far looked to be a Edu masterclass. On the other hand, I didn't think a new striker was necessary - sadly Auba proved me wrong.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Disappointed that Kola, Cedric, Xhaka and Elneny were still here, but I guess with no acceptable bids that's hardly on Edu.

Disagree on this in parts.

Though I hate Elneny as a player, Willock was sold and it looked like AMN was out the door on deadline day, so I understand the thinking in keeping him.

Xhaka is mix of positive and negative, nice we didn't budge with Roma being extremely cheapstakes, but renewing him.... Eh, I think it was time for both parties to move on. He has ceiling and a cyclecal nature to his Arsenal career.

Cedric will only move once his contract is done, the error was signing him the first place.

Kola is someone who we should've frankly paid to leave. I hate doing this, as it sends the wrong message, but it's not like we didn't do it for three players consecutively and for the very same reasons.

I was very negative on this window based on what we did and failed to do, Laca and Eddie will both leave on a free and in the sense of player sales, this club and Edu need to do a lot better and that includes telling the manager that sometimes we gave to move players on (Eddie being a prime example).

Regarding ins, so far I'm pleasently surprised.

As long as Ramsdale and Tomiyasu don't get arsenalised, it would be a solid 6.5 to almost 7. Ben White has been shaky at times, but someone said in his thread that if he played for city people would be waxing lyrical about the guy. It's up to the club to takes nearer that level.

Still think CM was the area we needed to invest the most and it will probably be looked over this summer in lieu of our team needing two new strikers.

I just hope we don't renew Laca. Time to move on from him and him from Arsenal.

drippin

Xhaka is mix of positive and negative, nice we didn't budge with Roma being extremely cheapstakes, but renewing him.... Eh, I think it was time for both parties to move on. He has ceiling and a cyclecal nature to his Arsenal career.
Xhaka just turned 29 years old, and now has 2,5 years contract when we activated a one year extension. Renewing is a bit different.

This guy with his experience in EPL and national team, does have value.

It's midfielder's prime years, and now we can even keep him in rotational role next year to give us experience to the team. Or get more money as he doesn't have only one year in contract.

It made sense to use the option, and use the money needed for a similar player in other areas, but Xhaka-hate blinds people from it.

El Duderino

Xhaka just turned 29 years old, and now has 2,5 years contract when we activated a one year extension. Renewing is a bit different.

This guy with his experience in EPL and national team, does have value. It's midfielders prime years, and now we can even keep him in rotational role next year to give us experience to the team. Or get more money as he doesn't have only one year in contract.

You read his interviews and he's here for more than that I think, my feeling is that the club didn't want to sell him, but was resigned not to get in his way moving, given all bad blood and the history between him and the fans.

His position as a starter is safe, managers love him. Not only that, but the CF position will require a lot of money, specially if we need to sign two of them.

drippin

You read his interviews and he's here for more than that I think, my feeling is that the club didn't want to sell him, but was resigned not to get in his way moving, given all bad blood and the history between him and the fans.

His position as a starter is safe, managers love him. Not only that, but the CF position will require a lot of money, specially if we need to sign two of them.
With Partey's injuries and Elneny & AMN leaving, we need a new midfielder anyway. I'm pretty sure Arteta tries to get a midfielder with similar level as Partey and Xhaka, because he knows Pep would too.

So in any case, we are in a good position because of the option activation. Otherwise we would have needed two, and other clubs would know it. And we would get only little money if we sold Xhaka.

El Duderino

With Partey's injuries and Elneny & AMN leaving, we need a new midfielder anyway. I'm pretty sure Arteta tries to get a midfielder with similar level as Partey and Xhaka, because he knows Pep would too.

So in any case, we are in a good position because of the option activation. Otherwise we would have needed two, and other clubs would know it. And we would get only little money if we sold Xhaka.

I just wish we could move on from him as a player sooner rather than later.

There's a cap with him on the team. We've seen it through three managers to varying degrees.

We're mostly worse without him, specially now that we have Partey and they play well together (and Mikel has also overall minimized Granits glaring negatives), but won't be getting to that next level with him.

It's a wait and see game right now, links to Guimarães seem agent driven and even then, a move like that usually doesnt happen in Jan.

Henry boi

The players who have come in have improved the team, that to me is the point of transfers, to improve a side. So from that perspective the window was successful. Ben White gets stick from fans because they hate Arteta but he is miles better than anything we had last season, so is Tomi and Ramsdale. Now the midfield is still a problem but you don't fix the whole team in a single window but the signs are promising

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

The players who have come in have improved the team, that to me is the point of transfers, to improve a side. So from that perspective the window was successful. Ben White gets stick from fans because they hate Arteta but he is miles better than anything we had last season, so is Tomi and Ramsdale. Now the midfield is still a problem but you don't fix the whole team in a single window but the signs are promising
Think it’s Saliba and the price tag that have gone against White. First impressions count for too much as well and his wasn’t great.

Tomiyasu and Ramsdale are very much Arteta guys and the majority are happy with them, I would disagree.

I think we have to wait to say for certain if he was better than Luiz (that’s just me).

Latest posts

Top Bottom