• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lets rate our 2021 summer transfer window.

How do you rate our transfer business this summer?

• Total voters

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
I'll rate them as signings

Ødegaard - 8/10 - considering where we are and his potential this is a coup. He's also like the glue that holds the team together.

People claiming he was here for half of last season miss the point that we started the season without him

White 7/10 but potential 8/10. His range of passing and his ability to carry the ball is really good, much better than anyone we have. So if the manager insists we play out from the back he's a good signing.

Perhaps unnecesary given Saliba may be as good or better. So I'm in 2 minds

Tomiyasu 7/10 - I think we have upgraded out right back with a player who can also play CB if we want to play 3 at the back. His passing and ball carrying stats are far better than Emerson who I initially wanted

Tavares 6/10 - I think this kids a punt. Sporting fans thinks he lacks intelligence and one signed up on another Arsenal forum to mock the signing. He can look to have loads of flair in his highlights though and he looks physically imposing

Ramsdale 6/10 - I mean I think he probably displaces Leno but it seems a none essential buy that doesn't necessarily improve us. Again he might be much better playing out from the back than Leno

Lakonga 7/10 - Looks like a diamond in the rough. I hope he can eventually bench Xhaka

Squad Balance 6/10 - I think an extra creative player who could play at 8 and a 6 to bench Xhaka were needed.

Overall 7/10 - I might be overrating. I think we've got in some good players. Once White, Gabriel, Tomiyasu and Tierney start together I think we look far more solid defensively. And the heart of great teams are built from the back.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Its a bizarre one really... no bad players on the face of it but still a window I fully believe will result in sackings. 👌

Negotiating for two fringe England players at the height of a home Euros was ill judged at best. You are paying for hype for two players that are not even in the squad without injuries to Pope & TAA. :facepalm:

Not sure if the club think buying 23 & under players will give them more time like the Athletic are pushing but just dont see it with the price tags & especially key first team players like Saka & ESR much younger. 🍼

The Saliba shadow still hangs over the club for me as well. Just keeping him & using the White money to buy a midfielder & attacker with a similar profile to Gabriel / Tomiyasu just makes sense. 🤷‍♂️

Nuno Tavares 🟢
Albert Sambi Lokonga 🟢
Ben White ❌
Martin Ødegaard 🟡
Aaron Ramsdale ❌
Takehiro Tomiyasu 🟢

Saliba ❌
Douzi ❌

No idea how you rate it... a good talent hall for a team finishing 8th & 8th but a very poor use of resources for a team building for top four.

Last edited:

Wiggins

I think we probably have improved our first team, we just have to see how Sambi, Partey & Ødegaard work together in midfield.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I think people are being harsh on the incomings, I think they're good. It's the outgoings that are the problem.
I'm just as harsh on both. We were told the squad needs changing and here we are with pretty much the same squad we ended the season with with added bloatedness. It's been a disappointing window which really shouldn't be after we spent the money we did.

Tavares seems like such a pointless signing. Lokogna could be interesting. Tomisayu could be interesting but we've still Cedric, Chambers and only kicked Bellerin down the road. Ramsdale doesn't seem like a massive improvement for the outlay, but happy to be proven wrong. Ben White seems questionable when we've a 25m centre back that's not kicked a ball for us.

I feel centre mid, forward and right back were the three key areas to improve. Anything else should have been dependent upon outgoings. Arteta and Edu have made their beds and it may work quickly.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I'm just as harsh on both. We were told the squad needs changing and here we are with pretty much the same squad we ended the season with with added bloatedness. It's been a disappointing window which really shouldn't be after we spent the money we did.

Tavares seems like such a pointless signing. Lokogna could be interesting. Tomisayu could be interesting but we've still Cedric, Chambers and only kicked Bellerin down the road. Ramsdale doesn't seem like a massive improvement for the outlay, but happy to be proven wrong. Ben White seems questionable when we've a 25m centre back that's not kicked a ball for us.

I feel centre mid, forward and right back were the three key areas to improve. Anything else should have been dependent upon outgoings. Arteta and Edu have made their beds and it may work quickly.

Fair enough, although i'd argue Tavares was the most logical signing of all of them. We didn't have a back-up LB, and he's a back-up LB. The pointless thing surely is that Kolasinac is still at the club.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I honestly can't decide on a rating, so I'm not going to vote. With all of our 6 signings being 'ones for the future' only time will tell.

If half our summer signings turn out to be key players in a successful side then it could be looked at as a 9/10 window. If None of these players improve us in either the short or long term then it will go down as as 1/10 window.

For example Liverpools first window under Klopp when they signed Mane, Wijnaldum and Matip who went on to be key players in winning the Champions League and Premier League. I doubt many people would give that window less than an 8 or 9/10 despite them also signing Karius. Sakho and Klavan who flopped hard.

I would give the club credit for having a plan. They have at least bought players who make sense, they wanted a ball playing defender, a right back who is comfortable dropping into a back three, a pseudo winger on the left like Tierney etc. Transfers in the past have often felt opportunistic, buying players just because they were good without a thought to how they may fit into the team and tactics. They have also decided on a profile which is again at least shows some planning and thought. Whether the guys doing the planning and thinking are to be trusted with their vision is a whole other conversation.

Last edited:

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Also, how have we spent more than United yet they have Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo and we haven't improved our first team since last year baffles me.
Because they've actually spent significantly more than us because you need to factor in fees + wages (+intermediary fees).

Sorry, but I'm going to keep banging on about this whenever anyone uses this line. It's not true that we've spent more than United.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Fair enough, although i'd argue Tavares was the most logical signing of all of them. We didn't have a back-up LB, and he's a back-up LB. The pointless thing surely is that Kolasinac is still at the club.
He was logical once you have Kolasinac out the door. The whole window our priorities were wrong.

One or two out one in. We don't do that and that's why we've a massive squad. We ended January with 1 left back and 3 right backs. We've now 3 left backs and 4 right backs.

Moleque

The lack of faith in Arteta is permeating into the lack of faith on the signings.

This would have been a title push equivalent transfer window for Wenger. :lol:
Naaa, Wenger never would have wasted so much money on White and Ramsdale

BobP

Memri Fan
Signing Ramsdale and White, and resigning Xhaka are the real killers here.

Could've easily kept Martinez and Saliba around and used that money elsewhere.

Lokonga would fall under the category of redundant transfer but jury is still out on Guendouzi.

Tavares looks average and now my sources are telling me that Tomiyasu has previously been violated by Lukaku.

Only signing I'm not iffy about is Ødegaard.

In short, shambolic window.

GoonerBoy19

Poor window, we did spend a lot of money but our squad is very imbalanced. Lot of defenders and fewer midfielders with AFCON also coming in between the season. Poor planning plus a poor start, it's going to be difficult season overall.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Palace had bid £10 million for Nketiah, with Arsenal having set an asking price of £20 million. Arsenal were prepared to drop their demands to around £15 million, but Palace decided instead on a £12 million move for Frenchman Edouard.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :facepalm:

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I'll rate them as signings

Ødegaard - 8/10 - considering where we are and his potential this is a coup. He's also like the glue that holds the team together.

People claiming he was here for half of last season miss the point that we started the season without him

White 7/10 but potential 8/10. His range of passing and his ability to carry the ball is really good, much better than anyone we have. So if the manager insists we play out from the back he's a good signing.

Perhaps unnecesary given Saliba may be as good or better. So I'm in 2 minds

Tomiyasu 7/10 - I think we have upgraded out right back with a player who can also play CB if we want to play 3 at the back. His passing and ball carrying stats are far better than Emerson who I initially wanted

Tavares 6/10 - I think this kids a punt. Sporting fans thinks he lacks intelligence and one signed up on another Arsenal forum to mock the signing. He can look to have loads of flair in his highlights though and he looks physically imposing

Ramsdale 6/10 - I mean I think he probably displaces Leno but it seems a none essential buy that doesn't necessarily improve us. Again he might be much better playing out from the back than Leno

Lakonga 7/10 - Looks like a diamond in the rough. I hope he can eventually bench Xhaka

Squad Balance 6/10 - I think an extra creative player who could play at 8 and a 6 to bench Xhaka were needed.

Overall 7/10 - I might be overrating. I think we've got in some good players. Once White, Gabriel, Tomiyasu and Tierney start together I think we look far more solid defensively. And the heart of great teams are built from the back.
Ødegaard is a gifted player. a Talent. But this is definitely not his profile.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Poor window, we did spend a lot of money but our squad is very imbalanced. Lot of defenders and fewer midfielders with AFCON also coming in between the season. Poor planning plus a poor start, it's going to be difficult season overall.
I disagree that the squad is unbalanced.

GK - Leno, Ramsdale, Okonkwo
DL - Tierney, Taveres, Kolasinac
DC - Gabriel, White, Mari, Holding
DR - Tomiyasu, Chambers, Cedric
MC - Partey, Xhaka, Lokonga, Elneny, AMN
AM - Ødegaard, ESR
L&RF - Saka, Pepe, Martinelli
SC - Auba, Laca, Nketiah, Balogun

We are definitely lacking in quality in some areas, central midfield in particular but numbers wise I think it is the most balanced squad we have had for a long time. We also look a little light in the wide forward positions but ESR and Auba can fill in there at a push. When you consider we had 34 players and 9 central defenders on our books at one point last season it is looking considerably better now.

I can only really see Kolasinac, Cedric and Nketiah who are completely surplus to requirements and hopefully the links for Kola and Cedric to Greek teams come to fruition in the next week.

Gunners1616

Gave it a 6... If we got rid of Xhaka i would have rated it a 7/10... My first wish of the summer was to get rid of that guy at all cost.

If somehow Arteta stops overthinking, we might see some football at the Emirates with the popular "best line-up". I'm guessing this the team most of the fan would pick.

But Mikel can't help himself. He might find a way to play Cedric or Kolasinac or Pablo Maric etc... Can never trust the guy.

E-JhPlpWEAAql0e

Top Bottom