Life After Emery Begins

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Aussie_gunner123, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

1. Yes, he's been my first choice from the start

20.0%
  2. Yes, even though I preferred other candidate(s)

57.0%
  3. No

23.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Knows a guy who knows an ITK at Bristol Trusted

If we’re being really honest the malaise set in almost 13 years ago and it’s been a slow decline ever sense.

Once Dein left any coherence at the top of the club left with him. Unsurprisingly our transfer record fell apart soon after.

You can say arguably we didn’t have a window that added positive value after the one where we bought Nasri.

Some of the stories from back then are horrifying. Like the club identifying Koscielny a year before we bought him but failing to pull the trigger, then buying him a year later for ten times the price he would’ve cost.

Also the Griezmann saga where we were in and out several times, told him that we wanted him and stalled him to the deadline then suddenly decided against it.

That’s ignoring the panicky moves for junk players we made like Park, Andre Santos, Elneny and Gabriel.

A lot of the blame lies with Wenger but at the same time before Dein left we were decisive and hard negotiators. Think it’s no coincidence that after that we were a shambles.

The chickens from these years of mismanagement have come home to roost. Club needs a purge of the upper levels.

2. Leeroy1979

Leeroy1979 Well-Known Member

Exactly, just valuing what he did for the club. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have our lofty perch to fall from. It was time for him to go but the least we can do is respect what he did do for us.

3. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

We should be in the CL right now. Had that bum Emery got 1 point from somewhere or not messed up the EL final.

Probably be top 4 now if we didn’t spend on Luiz and Saliba, or got rid of Ramsey.

Sapient Hawk and TakeChillPill like this.
  4. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

Yeah in retrospect this wasn't that difficult a job for the new guy, just needed to maintain the incredible home form (2nd most wins and goals behind City) and get the away form to even above average level. That would've been enough to 3rd last season.

blaze_of_glory and krengon like this.
  5. Eaststander74

Eaststander74 Jury Lite II

Well he was obviously thieving from the shops, so in that case he had to go :lol:

6. Joestlaachmkr

Joestlaachmkr Active Member

blaze_of_glory likes this.
  7. blaze_of_glory

blaze_of_glory Moderator Moderator

Yes we never really recovered from Dein leaving. Can say Wenger was to blame for some of the transfer stuff, but it's still not clear how much control he had on final decisions to spend, etc. And really the guy was overseeing so many aspects of the team you could easily argue that the club should have made it a priority to bring in someone to replace Dein in order to take some of that load.

All that matters now though is what decisions are made next.

8. Martin Harvey

Martin Harvey Member

Luiz was without doubt the worst bit of business we did in the summer (Wenger bought some **** central defenders but this one takes the biscuit) , along with buying a centre back and loaning him straight back. As for letting Ramsey's contract run down, well what can you say.

9. Furious

Furious Xhaka Propagandist

:rofl:

But but Klopp and Pep?! Right, @Ceballinhos?

One of the most embarrassing tweets posted on here was when Emery had achieved the most wins in his first 50 games of any Arsenal manager..... after beating some Europa League farmers. :lol:

Gunner boy dd and krengon like this.
  10. Martin Harvey

Martin Harvey Member

To be fair that good period ended with injuries to Holding and Bellerin. Who can say where we'd have finished had they stayed fit

11. Preacher

Preacher Anti-Ornstein

[​IMG]

One year ago.

12. Rex Banter

It’s not that bad. We tried for Upamecano and couldn’t afford him so took a flier on Luiz because Koscielny forced his way out last minute.

We’re only on the hook for two years.

lufere7 likes this.
  13. Jackie_Treehorn

Jackie_Treehorn Well-Known Member

Ahh! I thought it was some kind of Newspeak I wasn’t aware of:lol:

14. Martin Harvey

Martin Harvey Member

It's no surprise that in the early EL games the defence looked a bit better, that is when Luiz was not around. The Koscielny situation was obvious from an early stage and in any event the defence was a priority, rather more so than spunking 72million on a winger.

hydrofluoric acid likes this.
  15. Camron

Camron Established Member

This is exactly how our board is operating.

16. Notorious Big

Notorious Big Stuck in the friend zone

How things can change quickly.

17. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

Not ideal to lose Kos, Nacho, Ramsey etc in one go. Left only Bellerin as someone who knows the club.

18. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid A drama queen, hates most of our players.

It really was the worst transfer window!

19. Rex Banter

Problem is if we didn’t buy Pepe but instead bought say Upamecano who was quoted at a similar price we’d still need to sell Iwobi to balance the books.

That would leave us with no first team wingers, basically just Nelson and Saka to last an entire season.

The one transfer to me that stood out was the Ceballos loan, it was a pretty pointless decision seen as he’s been best as a deep midfielder his whole career and we have a lot of depth there already.

We should’ve bought Fekir instead, he’s done well at Betis this year and he only cost 17M. Considering how poor we’ve been creatively he’d have been a massive help.

Or if you’re looking at Real Madrid loanees, Odegaard was someone we needed much more than a Ceballos.

20. Malky

Malky Well-Known Member

What the hell even makes Arteta the front runner here? Because he has the latest software update on his Ipad? Surely, surely the club are looking at the currant situation and how it's looking with Freddie and thinking we're needing a man with experience to sort this out?
    Arteta comes in and i'll give it a chance and back him, but i genuinely don't see it going well.
    Vieira - I'm out, absolute poverty appointment, club legend or not.
    Poch has to be the one we're moving mountains to get.

Sanchez11's ghost likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.