• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

It's no surprise that in the early EL games the defence looked a bit better, that is when Luiz was not around. The Koscielny situation was obvious from an early stage and in any event the defence was a priority, rather more so than spunking 72million on a winger.

Problem is if we didn’t buy Pepe but instead bought say Upamecano who was quoted at a similar price we’d still need to sell Iwobi to balance the books.

That would leave us with no first team wingers, basically just Nelson and Saka to last an entire season.

The one transfer to me that stood out was the Ceballos loan, it was a pretty pointless decision seen as he’s been best as a deep midfielder his whole career and we have a lot of depth there already.

We should’ve bought Fekir instead, he’s done well at Betis this year and he only cost 17M. Considering how poor we’ve been creatively he’d have been a massive help.

Or if you’re looking at Real Madrid loanees, Ødegaard was someone we needed much more than a Ceballos.

Malky

Established Member
What the hell even makes Arteta the front runner here? Because he has the latest software update on his Ipad? Surely, surely the club are looking at the currant situation and how it's looking with Freddie and thinking we're needing a man with experience to sort this out?
Arteta comes in and i'll give it a chance and back him, but i genuinely don't see it going well.
Vieira - I'm out, absolute poverty appointment, club legend or not.
Poch has to be the one we're moving mountains to get.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
What the hell even makes Arteta the front runner here? Because he has the latest software update on his Ipad? Surely, surely the club are looking at the currant situation and how it's looking with Freddie and thinking we're needing a man with experience to sort this out?
Arteta comes in and i'll give it a chance and back him, but i genuinely don't see it going well.
Vieira - I'm out, absolute poverty appointment, club legend or not.
Poch has to be the one we're moving mountains to get.
I have an iPad with the latest update. I've seen nothing like it.

He deserves a chance.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Arteta can also keep that Pep profile on his iPad Pro active in case he needs to log in every now and again. Bring him in!

roz

Fake News Merchant
Problem is if we didn’t buy Pepe but instead bought say Upamecano who was quoted at a similar price we’d still need to sell Iwobi to balance the books.

That would leave us with no first team wingers, basically just Nelson and Saka to last an entire season.

The one transfer to me that stood out was the Ceballos loan, it was a pretty pointless decision seen as he’s been best as a deep midfielder his whole career and we have a lot of depth there already.

We should’ve bought Fekir instead, he’s done well at Betis this year and he only cost 17M. Considering how poor we’ve been creatively he’d have been a massive help.

Or if you’re looking at Real Madrid loanees, Ødegaard was someone we needed much more than a Ceballos.
Hindsight is a hell of a thing.
Everyone said we needed a winger, we got one of the best up and coming wingers.
Everyone said we needed a CB, we got one of the best up and coming CBs and an experienced premiership winner with international caps.
Everyone said we needed a LB to replace an ageing Nacho, we got Tierney who was highly rated.

there’s many things wrong with the board and the higher ups of the club but to me it was an excellent transfer window. Obviously now it doesn’t seem that way but they did good man, dont think they can take the blame for that. Add to the fact that we made maybe our most important signing since Santi Cazorla in Martinelli it still might turn out to be a fantastic window of business.

the fault lies with Emery for the way we ended last season which was almost impossible to screw up. The fault then shifts to the board for not doing anything about it and here we are.

The season may well be a write off at this stage but we can still salvage it from getting say Arteta and giving them a free run with no pressure to try and build something great here. Results would only matter from next season at which point hopefully we could have team actually playing decent football

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Hindsight is a hell of a thing.
Everyone said we needed a winger, we got one of the best up and coming wingers.
Everyone said we needed a CB, we got one of the best up and coming CBs and an experienced premiership winner with international caps.
Everyone said we needed a LB to replace an ageing Nacho, we got Tierney who was highly rated.

there’s many things wrong with the board and the higher ups of the club but to me it was an excellent transfer window. Obviously now it doesn’t seem that way but they did good man, dont think they can take the blame for that. Add to the fact that we made maybe our most important signing since Santi Cazorla in Martinelli it still might turn out to be a fantastic window of business.

the fault lies with Emery for the way we ended last season which was almost impossible to screw up. The fault then shifts to the board for not doing anything about it and here we are.

The season may well be a write off at this stage but we can still salvage it from getting say Arteta and giving them a free run with no pressure to try and build something great here. Results would only matter from next season at which point hopefully we could have team actually playing decent football

I don’t think it was an excellent window, we needed a winger but sold our only other first team one.

Taking on Ceballos seems a bit of a pointless move. We now have no creativity and no pace on the flanks of a required level.

It’s a horribly lopsided squad, back to back windows now we’ve ended up with teams with not enough wide players.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Not ideal to lose Kos, Nacho, Ramsey etc in one go. Left only Bellerin as someone who knows the club.

I was thinking about this too. The first thing Emery did was tell Wilshere he wasn't in his plans, and Cazorla was let go of too. While Per retired.

It seems like over the past 18 months we've done so much to move past Wenger that it's actually done more harm than good. Whether it's bringing someone like Raul in and giving him such a key role, the whole stuff with Ramsey, Özil, Kos which proved to be unwanted distractions, dealing with agents we wouldn't have previously dealt with, hiring a manager who plays the complete opposition football to Wenger. Instead of building on what Wenger left behind we've been hell bent on simply trying to change everything.

Most of the current lot haven't been here longer than even 2/3 years apart from Özil and Bellerin out of the starters anyways.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

It's actually unbelievable how Ivan spouted so much nonsense about hiring a progressive young coach who plays attacking football and who's good at developing young players and then proceeded to hire Emery.

Even if we hired someone who fit the criteria and he ended up being a failure they wouldn't have changed so much as what's gone on since Emery was appointed.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
It's actually unbelievable how Ivan spouted so much nonsense about hiring a progressive young coach who plays attacking football and who's good at developing young players and then proceeded to hire Emery.

Even if we hired someone who fit the criteria and he ended up being a failure they wouldn't have changed so much as what's gone on since Emery was appointed.
Since he been he just talked s**t he didn't do anything positive to the club if wasn't of Wenger this guy could have been gone for long time.

GDeep™

League is very weak

And then he quit and went to AC Milan :lol:

Ran off as soon as Wenger wasn’t here holding his hand.

roz

Fake News Merchant
I don’t think it was an excellent window, we needed a winger but sold our only other first team one.

Taking on Ceballos seems a bit of a pointless move. We now have no creativity and no pace on the flanks of a required level.

It’s a horribly lopsided squad, back to back windows now we’ve ended up with teams with not enough wide players.
As I said hindsight is a *****. Its clear it hasn’t worked out but at the time it felt like for the the first time i could Remember we pinpointed what areas we needed strengthening and we signed appropriately. Pepe could still be great for us, Martinelli will be our true elite striker for years. Saliba and Tierney could be a part of our backline for years also. Things seem bad now but it can be turned around

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog

I dunno, at the moment Emery was a young coach, who developed a lot of good Spanish players and even his PSG side was the most high-scoring team in Europe iirc. On paper he was a solid choice imo.

Last edited:

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
We can’t keep asking “what makes Arteta the front runner?”.

You just have to accept it might be things we can’t see or are privy too.
Or its like how Sp**s used to look for the next Wenger with random French mangers & then the next Mourinho.

Just small time ****.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Not getting drawn into this hystericism.

We’re currently odds on to finish 7th (which would normally qualify for the EL), whereas the best odds I can find for us getting relegated are 90/1 on Betfair.

There’s a massive windfall for you there if you’re correct. So either go put your money where your mouth is (and let us know so we can all laugh at you at the end of the season), or shut up.
Do you really think we are that safe? I'd struggle to name 3 PL team worse than us atm, we are definitely among the worst 5 teams in the league and there isn't a sign of an improvement.

Last edited:

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I was thinking about this too. The first thing Emery did was tell Wilshere he wasn't in his plans, and Cazorla was let go of too. While Per retired.

It seems like over the past 18 months we've done so much to move past Wenger that it's actually done more harm than good. Whether it's bringing someone like Raul in and giving him such a key role, the whole stuff with Ramsey, Özil, Kos which proved to be unwanted distractions, dealing with agents we wouldn't have previously dealt with, hiring a manager who plays the complete opposition football to Wenger. Instead of building on what Wenger left behind we've been hell bent on simply trying to change everything.

Most of the current lot haven't been here longer than even 2/3 years apart from Özil and Bellerin out of the starters anyways.

a new heirarchy and a new manager, all determined to put their stamp on a big club, in a league none of them had any experience of, by changing as much as they could

in hindsight a recipe for disaster

Leeroy1979

So what does everybody think a realistic time frame for a new appointment is? My boss probably hates emery more than I do at the moment as his sacking and my productivity seem to have a direct corellation lol

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
So what does everybody think a realistic time frame for a new appointment is? My boss probably hates emery more than I do at the moment as his sacking and my productivity seem to have a direct corellation lol
Hope the new guy is in the stands for the City game, if not then you know the club hierarchy are genuinely incompetent.

There's no cup tie next week so there's a few solid days of training for the new manager before Everton at the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom