• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
We haven’t had a game a week...
yeah, those cup ties against championship teams and mighty belarussian champions have been so exhausting.

We're a mess this season. How we do with a settled 11 in the second half would be more indicative of our actual form.

too many games.

no settled 11

refs

floods

amazonian fire ants.

i can keep doing this all day.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
A tad unfair.

Any manager who performs against the odds is basically fighting a losing battle.

Hoffenheim finished 4th last and immediately lost Rudy, Sule, and Toljan. If that wasn't enough, their two key strikers in Uth and Wagner have been poached. How long before Demirbay and Amiri also leave?

Replacements end up being inadequate or just inexperienced, needing time to reach their peak.

A point eventually comes where the manager just thinks why bother.
Mark Uth, their CF, is still a Hoffenheim player. And Wagner handed in a transfer request, he wasn’t poached. He never left Bavaria and has gone back home to Munich.

A great manager is one who in my opinion just goes about his business without complaining about his players leaving. He just goes about the job regardless of the players and tries to fulfill his goals. That’s why I have lost a bit respect for Conte this season. He was supposed to be this great tactician who managed a very mediocre Italian team well in the Euros. At Chelsea he himself destroyed his title winning team by selling Costa and Matic and then he is complaining, rather than coaching, about his players and is failing to do his job as a manager.

Just look at Wenger with Arsenal this season.
I don’t know what you’re trying to say but Wenger did have Europa and League Cup games this season.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
yeah, those cup ties against championship teams and mighty belarussian champions have been so exhausting.

too many games.

no settled 11

refs

floods

amazonian fire ants.

i can keep doing this all day.
floods could indeed be relevant - we don't seem to cope well with the sort of weather Swansea can produce

maybe we should try holding training sessions with the sprinklers full on

Brown Gooner

But my point is that you just can't expect Howe to take Bournemouth into Europe, let alone do well there. Their stadium has under 12,000 capacity and they're 28th in the Deloitte Money League.

Not saying it's impossible to get Bournemouth into Europe, but it shouldn't be a pre-requisite for him to be considered. How is a young English coach going to get a top job if that's the pre-requisite?

I agree his defensive stats could be a lot better though.
He can get into a European spot. What he needs to do is win against the other mid-table/relegation teams and get draws or upset against the big boys. Both of which he can do.

As for an English manager managing a top club. I blame them for that. English managers have been terrible for decades now. They need to prove themselves by doing something extraordinary. There is a reason why you don’t see English managers in other European leagues. These Englishmen need to get out of their comfort zone in England and try their trade in Spain, Italy or Germany. If Howe goes to Sociedad and finishes Top 4 or wins the DFB Pokal with Schalke then I would sign him in a heartbeat.

BobP

Memri Fan
Mark Uth, their CF, is still a Hoffenheim player. And Wagner handed in a transfer request, he wasn’t poached. He never left Bavaria and has gone back home to Munich.

Uth is off to Schalke in the summer.

What does that latter part even mean? You think he handed in a transfer request and Bayern just happened upon him?

A great manager is one who in my opinion just goes about his business without complaining about his players leaving. He just goes about the job regardless of the players and tries to fulfill his goals. That’s why I have lost a bit respect for Conte this season. He was supposed to be this great tactician who managed a very mediocre Italian team well in the Euros. At Chelsea he himself destroyed his title winning team by selling Costa and Matic and then he is complaining, rather than coaching, about his players and is failing to do his job as a manager.

He didn't do anything. Costa and Matic were sold because they were 28-29, with Chelsea seeing an opportunity to cash in on them before they started losing their value. This in turn enabled them to bring in younger replacements i.e. Morata and Bakayoko. It's Chelsea trying to be self-sustaining.

Conte at Chelsea and Nagelsmann at Hoffenheim are two completely different stories. Could you imagine the board saying to Nagelsmann 'you'll lose your best players with little to no chance of replacing them with players of equal quality with the funds you have available to but we still expect you to finish in the top 4'.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Why the **** would you want Howe as the manager?

Because he's young with a lot of potential but also has a lot of experience under his belt, unlike Arteta for example. Because he's doing a good job with a very small team in a very tough league. Because he tries to play attacking football. Because he plays young players. Because he has a history of working at a club for a long time and building solid foundations.

I mean Jesus Christ, obviously there are reasons to not want him as the manager, but don't act like there aren't also plenty of reasons to want him.

Brown Gooner

Uth is off to Schalke in the summer.

What does that latter part even mean? You think he handed in a transfer request and Bayern just happened upon him?

He didn't do anything. Costa and Matic were sold because they were 28-29, with Chelsea seeing an opportunity to cash in on them before they started losing their value. This in turn enabled them to bring in younger replacements i.e. Morata and Bakayoko. It's Chelsea trying to be self-sustaining.

Conte at Chelsea and Nagelsmann at Hoffenheim are two completely different stories. Could you imagine the board saying to Nagelsmann 'you'll lose your best players with little to no chance of replacing them with players of equal quality with the funds you have available to but we still expect you to finish in the top 4'.

Wagner has always dreamed of playing for Bayern. He was born and raised in Munich. Bayern wanted a second striker and they saw him as a suitable replacement. It was like Cesc wanting to return to Barca. Wagner even consulted Löw and then made his decision.

Hoffenheim and Naglesmann do expect to finish top four after last season. In fact that is one of their goals to make top four for three seasons running then think about winning anything of note. (Shows how Top four is promoting a culture of mediocrity, but that’s another discussion altogether)

And Chelsea selling Costa was a big mistake. He is 29 not 39. Morata is nowhere as good as Costa.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
He can get into a European spot. What he needs to do is win against the other mid-table/relegation teams and get draws or upset against the big boys. Both of which he can do.

As for an English manager managing a top club. I blame them for that. English managers have been terrible for decades now. They need to prove themselves by doing something extraordinary. There is a reason why you don’t see English managers in other European leagues. These Englishmen need to get out of their comfort zone in England and try their trade in Spain, Italy or Germany. If Howe goes to Sociedad and finishes Top 4 or wins the DFB Pokal with Schalke then I would sign him in a heartbeat.
this long standing reluctance of English players and managers to go abroad is hardly ever discussed, but it surely should be - start by making academy youngsters still at school learn more foreign languages - and only loan them out to overseas clubs

the examples of Tony Adams' and Gary Neville's foreign excursions need to be erased asap

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐

I understand what you mean and I agree more English coaches should go abroad. But the fact that Dyche & Howe are the only two young English coaches in the PL proves how difficult that achievement is. There appears to be much more upward mobility for coaches in other leagues than in the PL. So yes more coaches should go abroad, but you shouldn't be judged for managing a small PL club.

Maybe i'm being a bit old-fashioned, but appointing someone like Howe didn't use to be such an absurd thing to do. There used to be much more upward mobility. I don't think a club's fear of appointing someone at a smaller club equates to a reasonable judgement of that person's ability.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
this long standing reluctance of English players and managers to go abroad is hardly ever discussed, but it surely should be - start by making academy youngsters still at school learn more foreign languages - and only loan them out to overseas clubs

the examples of Tony Adams' and Gary Neville's foreign excursions need to be erased asap

More foreign language learning needs to be encouraged in schools for all pupils full stop. But that's a point for another day.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
Think we should consider Eddie Howe, beating the champions at their own ground 3-0 would be a feat which a top four side would be proud about. Imagine what he could do with better players at his disposal.

Steve Bruce's Sunderland beat reigning champions Chelsea 3-0 at the Bridge in 2010.

blaise

Actually Costa said he ll never play for Conte again, Chelsea had no say there, only other choice is fire Conte.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Nagelsmann and Arteta are the two front-runners to replace Wenger for me.

From the start of the season, many assumed that Nagelsmann would be going to Bayern at the end of the season, but things have changed dramatically since then. Ancelotti was supposed to last the season and then make way for Nagelsmann, but Ancelotti's firing and the return of Heynckes has changed everything. Also, Hoffenheim haven't had a great season, but that isn't because Nagelsmann has done a bad job. This summer the top teams poached his best players, so outperforming or equaling last seasons results with a worse team can't be expected.

By the end of the season I can see Nagelsmann wanting a chance of scenery and if he isn't going to Bayern we should snatch him up.

Our increasingly German infrastructure and the reorganization of the club should make it a fairly easy transition for him. The EPL will be a step up for him, but signing Nagelsmann will be as bold as when we signed Wenger back in the day.

Arteta due to his lack of coaching experience would be the second option behind Nagelsmann. He knows the club and the EPL better, but he's never managed a team. I think it would make sense to take a chance with him, but only if we can't get Nagelsmann.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Steve Bruce's Sunderland beat reigning champions Chelsea 3-0 at the Bridge in 2010.
Yeah, but did they do it playing like Bournemouth? This wasn't a fluke, they've always given us a tough time as well. Playing the Bournemouth way with the quality of players he has and still surviving is nothing short of miraculous imo. Much more impressive than Pep who has to spending half a billion for achieving the style of play he wants to implement.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

leonardo-jardim-and-ralph-hasenhuttl_76r7kkaf7xwe1i6pxowyqdies.jpg

Jardim would need to get a hair transplant to meet requirements though.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
Allegri, Sarri, Simeone, Jardim.
none of them has the football culture that we have, we need a guy who can continue building on the fundations wenger is going to leave, we need a German dude, with a big name, Low would be great.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

none of them has the football culture that we have, we need a guy who can continue building on the fundations wenger is going to leave, we need a German dude, with a big name, Low would be great.

What foundations are those? Lack of accountability for poor performances, shocking defensive displays, minimal tactical planning opposition to opposition

ffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom