• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobP

Memri Fan
Some really insightful analysis RE Favre:

https://chanceanalytics.com/2017/08...rperform-expected-goals-part-one-the-defence/

https://chanceanalytics.com/2017/09...ted-goals-part-two-the-attack/comment-page-1/

https://saturdaysoncouch.wordpress....osing-expg-models-or-luckiest-team-in-europe/

Two important aspects aren't addressed in those articles, the counterattack and the frequent manipulation of pace. Favre's teams will make extensive use of the counter attack if the situation arises i.e. if their opponents are a high pressure team. It's an approach which is shaped by the approach of the opposition. For instance, in the 2011-2012 season, Gladbach were frequently underestimated because of their poor performance the season before which led to teams exerting greater amounts of pressure when facing them. This subsequently allowed Favre to make full use of the counter-attack. Evidence of this can be seen in the fact that Gladbach only averaged just over 50% of possession, which, in the broader scheme of things, is quite low for a team managed by Favre.

An example of what can happen when a high pressure faces a team managed by Favre:

On the second aspect. Favre's teams often manipulate the speed at which they pass the ball. From what I understand this is done to unsettle or unbalance an opposition who have become to accustomed to defending against ball movement of a particular speed. At Gladbach in particular in frequently led to critical breakthroughs.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Have also long been an admirer of Favre. Not been great this season, but they are honestly scraping the barrel for players, while clubs like Lyon and Marseille can spend 20M on a player without a problem, he has to make do with some 34-year old like Jallet and a lot of youngsters.

Not someone the current board would go for, but hopefully Sven is an admirer of him from his time in Germany and can put his name on the list.

I thought Emery was your fave bro.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Bit like Low then. Rodgers is a better manager. Think he’s also better than Carlo, Blanc, Enrique etc.
img_0428-0.png

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Low would be fine. Fact of the matter is, none of the established, 'world-class' guys will come to us unless some bizarre circumstances develop. We've got to go a 'tier down' (I tend to think such distinctions are overblown, honestly), or take a flyer on an up-and-comer.

i don't agree with that. every journalist and his dog were reporting that Pep was waiting for the Arsenal job when it seemed that Wenger might call it a day.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

I thought Emery was your fave bro.
Yeah, still rate him highly. Winning three back-to-back Europa League's is incredibly impressive. It's insane, they had this aura about them how it's their trophy and no one was going to take it from them.

Don't think he will last that long at PSG, though, the owners are simply demanding instant success while the CL is also a bit of a lottery. Neymar is also an extremely dominant figure there now, perhaps too dominant. If they go far it will be because of him banging them in, if not it will be because he is injured or unhappy.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
i don't agree with that. every journalist and his dog were reporting that Pep was waiting for the Arsenal job when it seemed that Wenger might call it a day.
You really think Pep would have taken this job over City / United? And I don't remember anything other than mild speculation re: interest in the club -- certainly nothing by 'dogs.' Piers Morgan tweeted some BS and that was the extent of it.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
@Dokaka
Yes, he would still be seen as a good manager. 21 straight years of Champions league and some finals/semi finals is a great accomplishment.

Factor in how divided his reign has been and that accomplishment makes him look better :lol:

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
@Dokaka
Yes, he would still be seen as a good manager. 21 straight years of Champions league and some finals/semi finals is a great accomplishment.

Factor in how divided his reign has been and that accomplishment makes him look better :lol:

Disregard getting into the CL in this scenario as we're just talking CL group stages and on. Getting into the CL in the first place is a league achievement in itself.

You've lost in the round of 16 in the CL 6 or 7 years in a row. The only thing more consistent than you getting into the CL was seemingly you getting knocked out straight after the group stages. Incredible achievement to get into the CL in the first place but it's hardly been a stellar showing once you're in there.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

If Germany win the world cup again this year do we start to change our minds on Low and think perhaps he is the real deal? I mean a lot has changed about the team with guys like Schweinstiger, Klose and Lahm (there important players in terms of their leadership/experience) no longer there he's had to reinvent the team in a way as they've started to play different system and put a greater trust in some younger players. I think once you can possibly say that the quality of the players at his disposal makes it difficult to properly job him, but if they were to do it again then you'd have to give credit to the manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom