• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

You're having a laugh, right? Mou would definitely not come, Poch is bound for bigger & better things, Klopp has been given a long leash and way more cash to spend at a similarly historically-relevant club, and Conte will also have better options in the coming months/years (he seems to prefer Italian ones, anyways).

We're the 6th best team in England. It shouldn't be shocking that the managers in charge of 1 thru 5 aren't pounding on our door.

Mou would come purely for the fact that he'd love to get one over Wenger. I wouldn't doubt that for a second.

Why should managers be pounding on the door when the position isn't even open? We don't know who would want to come as the position hasn't been vacant for over 20 years.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
If Wenger left this summer, the Arsenal job would be more attractive the Liverpool one was when they sacked Rodgers and they managed to get someone like Klopp. I know some are determined to criticise the club at every turn but top managers would absolutely be interested in this club, for the job security if nothing else. It's no coincidence that whenever people like Mourinho, Klopp, Conte and Ancelotti comment on Wenger that's one of the first things they mention.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
If Wenger left this summer, the Arsenal job would be more attractive the Liverpool one was when they sacked Rodgers and they managed to get someone like Klopp. I know some are determined to criticise the club at every turn but top managers would absolutely be interested in this club, for the job security if nothing else. It's no coincidence that whenever people like Mourinho, Klopp, Conte and Ancelotti comment on Wenger that's one of the first things they mention.

Absolutely. I think an astute change in the manager's position would see us atleast challenging for PL. Right now we will only get worse under Arsène.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone

He won't leave Arsenal than.Probably waits for John Carver to be available.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I firmily believe Wenger will stay on for another season if the decision is on him. He stated many times how important is to respect the contract you sign. He’s not a quitter and would never step down before the end of his contract.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I firmily believe Wenger will stay on for another season if the decision is on him. He stated many times how important is to respect the contract you sign. He’s not a quitter and would never step down before the end of his contract.

Yeah, I was saying the same the other day. I dont see him going mid contract and I dont see the BoD sacking him. They gave him 2 more years when they shouldn't have.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Mou would come purely for the fact that he'd love to get one over Wenger. I wouldn't doubt that for a second.

Why should managers be pounding on the door when the position isn't even open? We don't know who would want to come as the position hasn't been vacant for over 20 years.
He would come if he got canned at United, and Madrid/Barca/FCB/PSG/Chelsea/etc. all didn't want him. That's a lot of "ifs." I guess we'll find out in 2019, but I have a hard time believing we'll attract a true, 'tier 1' manager without a lot of lucky circumstances.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Yeah, I was saying the same the other day. I dont see him going mid contract and I dont see the BoD sacking him. They gave him 2 more years when they shouldn't have.

I wasn't against another Wenger season to let him see out his contract with the new backroom staff and January transfers, if he'd manage to built on that and got results this season already. Right now it doesn't look that way.
But there's still the Carabao Cup and the Europa League. While I'm rather wary of the chances to win these, Wenger's contract running until 2019 doesn't call for immediate action. Just see out the next two months and see what happens.

In the case Arsenal's form doesn't take a sudden upswing with at least challenge for 5th or 4th, out of the EL, lose the Cup final - going by last seasons reports of a bust up between Wenger and Gazidis, and the latter apparently having made good on his "catalyst for change"-stuff bringing in Mislintat, Fahmy, Sanllehi....I wouldn't put it beyond Gazidis to feel he's the captain now and boot Wenger.
But from the get go, this actually hinges on Wenger's involvement in all of this. All we got was the media and Twitter spin that what's happening is against Wenger's wishes, etc. If he actually was involved somehow it takes away from that whole narrative. We'll have to wait and see.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

If the decision is on him, he's absolutely here for another season. At some point the Board are going to have to either
- Sack him; or
- Not renew his contract

I just don't see how they can continue down this path though. What's the point of another 12 months of this rubbish? Just rip the band aid off at the end of the season.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I wasn't against another Wenger season to let him see out his contract with the new backroom staff and January transfers, if he'd manage to built on that and got results this season already. Right now it doesn't look that way.
But there's still the Carabao Cup and the Europa League. While I'm rather wary of the chances to win these, Wenger's contract running until 2019 doesn't call for immediate action. Just see out the next two months and see what happens.

In the case Arsenal's form doesn't take a sudden upswing with at least challenge for 5th or 4th, out of the EL, lose the Cup final - going by last seasons reports of a bust up between Wenger and Gazidis, and the latter apparently having made good on his "catalyst for change"-stuff bringing in Mislintat, Fahmy, Sanllehi....I wouldn't put it beyond Gazidis to feel he's the captain now and boot Wenger.
But from the get go, this actually hinges on Wenger's involvement in all of this. All we got was the media and Twitter spin that what's happening is against Wenger's wishes, etc. If he actually was involved somehow it takes away from that whole narrative. We'll have to wait and see.

Agreed there is no need for immediate action, if he wins the CC or EL then he will carry on. If he fails on both and finishes outside the top 4 then he should step down but I dont think he will, so it will be do the BoD have balls or not.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
personally I think the narrative will be that he is staying until 2019, but he will go quite suddenly before then

behind the scenes it will be a totally planned decision, but will be intended to stop all the drip drip speculation that has already started, and which caused so many problems last season

the only other alternative I can see is that someone is appointed a year early to take over in 2019, and that could only feasibly be someone whose current job would not be disrupted - which could only be Lowe

El Granit-Coq

Established Member

That's a massive oversimplification on your part and theirs. Yes Wenger probably has one of the most cushioned positions in world football but he wasn't just placed there, he built up that trust and comfort.

It's not like Wenger came to an already great team with a giant global fanbase or high end facilities in place. The board allow him and give him that much freedom because the return he has given is well beyond what they expected.

Those top managers might love the idea of having what Wenger/Ferguson had, but the reality is that such things do not exist anymore. With a new manager comes new demands, and if not met I wonder how comfortable their positions would be.

It's easy to envy Wenger now after all he had helped us build. I wonder how many wanted to be in his position during our Banter era.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
That's a massive oversimplification on your part and theirs. Yes Wenger probably has one of the most cushioned positions in world football but he wasn't just placed there, he built up that trust and comfort.
At the end of the day, the fact that Wenger kept his job after finishing 2nd to Leicester while City/United/Chelsea all changed managers speaks volumes. Conte wins the league in 16/17 and is likely to lose his job the next season, Mourinho gets sacked after a bad 4 month spell after just winning the league himself, Ancelotti sacked a year after La Decima. Of course they look at Wenger with envy.
It's not like Wenger came to an already great team with a giant global fanbase or high end facilities in place. The board allow him and give him that much freedom because the return he has given is well beyond what they expected.
There is no room for sentiment in football. Wenger knows that better than most, considering how quickly he dismantled the Invincible team.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
If Wenger goes into next season with out an extension or an early public announcement that he is leaving then this club has learnt **** all over the past few years and are completely incompetent.

The whole Sanchez/Özil saga which has probably disrupted this season and then there was the Wenger saga when he wouldnt commit and then he even came out and said it was disruptive to the team.. IF they go into the 18/19 season without resolving this nonsense than they (Wenger/Board etc) need to all **** off as they clearly have no interest in whats best for the club, players and fans.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

If Wenger goes into next season with out an extension or an early public announcement that he is leaving then this club has learnt **** all over the past few years and are completely incompetent.

The whole Sanchez/Özil saga which has probably disrupted this season and then there was the Wenger saga when he wouldnt commit and then he even came out and said it was disruptive to the team.. IF they go into the 18/19 season without resolving this nonsense than they (Wenger/Board etc) need to all **** off as they clearly have no interest in whats best for the club, players and fans.

I don't think that's very ideal either.

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
I dont understand where this statement comes from or where you were before Wenger came along?
We were a massive club before he came, it was a different time in terms of global reach etc but Arsenal were still a massive club with a big stadium relatively speaking at the time and one of the English clubs with a big reach abroad, always were and most likely always will be. Wenger improved the team somewhat for a while but we would be a big club regardless of his contribution due mainly to history.
Whoever comes in will stay or go dependent on performance like everyone else in football nowadays, its just the way the game has gone and I wouldnt expect any different.
I just hope whoever it is has their own ideas and has a big cleaning up brush. Would rather it all comes about quickly rather than sleepwalking to the end of 2019 with this regime.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

It's probably more favourable than constant speculation throughout the year.

As much as I don't want it to happen, an announcement then a last hurrah might just inspire a team to push a bit harder.
Wenger might be able to get 80% out of this group instead of 70%

My hesitation comes from what happened at City with Pellegrini however we're talking about Arsène Wenger here. If not the players, I think it would at minimum unify the fan base which will have ample time to send him off in the manner that he deserves as a legend of this club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom