• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

No chance. The best it will be is if we get knocked out of the Europa they may announce he’s leaving at the end of the season.
Hopefully we will see a shock sometime announcement then. We might if we actually had a board/owner who actually cared about our success.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
There’s seems little reason to sacking him now. The board will have his future resting on the EL. By the time we’re out of that any faint hope of 4th will be gone.

Might aswell wait to the end of the season so at least history won’t show we sacked him during the season.

scytheavatar

Established Member
There’s seems little reason to sacking him now. The board will have his future resting on the EL. By the time we’re out of that any faint hope of 4th will be gone.

Might aswell wait to the end of the season so at least history won’t show we sacked him during the season.

That's precisely why we should sack him, so that history would show we sacked him during the season. It sends a message that Wenger's reign ended in failure and we need a clean break from him. It is naive to think that the situation in the club will certainly improve without Wenger, the main problem with the club never was Wenger. The main problem was the culture of losers which led to the board giving Wenger a contract extension. To me sacking him is the best way to show Wenger respect, it's the only way to make it clear to him that the current him is a pale shadow of the Wenger we used to love.

FinnGooner

Established Member
People are acting like it's a sure thing Wenger will leave after this season. Why? Wenger has one more year left in his contract, right? No way he will leave prematurely. He'll see that contract through and the board will certainly let him. I have no reason to expect Wenger won't be here next season. And if he'll get us back to top 4, which I don't believe will happen but of course it could, he could be offered an extension. I can easily see Wenger staying for three more years.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Unfortunately I wont be surprised if they give him another extension but that will just be ridiculous if they do. He has practically turned into a dictator at the club now. What should he do if he works out the players want him gone though?

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

I do have a hunch though that Josh Kroenke came into London because he cares about the success so if that is the case I'd say Josh will have a say in things & get him gone.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I found it hard to say but Kroenke destroyed Wenger, to work with a limited budget over the years since we moved to The Emirates, and even think we could compete FFS what does he thinks?

Think we should give Wenger more credit then he deserves, ofcourse he should do better with the current team, but we are nowhere near the quality which is needed to win the title in Man City for example.

Wenger has kept us at a high level he should deserve more credit for that as already mentioned the board should take the full ****ing blame for the shambles we are currently in.

People wont agreed with me, but this is the way i think about the whole situation.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

A few thoughts on potential candidates to succeed Wenger (whenever the time comes) profiled in the article:

Carlo Ancelotti -- If this is Arséne's last year, Carlo would make enormous sense. He's the most successful Champions League manager ever and has experience at some of the biggest clubs in the world. He won the league at Chelsea. He's sitting right in London waiting for a call. Not exactly an attractive option following his acrimonious departure from Bayern. Much like Arsène is set in his ways but unlike Arsène doesn't know how to build teams & primarily made his name as a Cup manager. We're miles away from the Champions League so he's not worth considering at this particular junction.

Leonardo Jardim -- Would be a fantastic choice. He kind of reminds me of a young Arséne Wenger in his ability to identify young talent and work with young players. They even have Monaco in common. His age (43) could make him a great fit for the long term. A good option that is known for team building & investing in youth, but fear his less stellar profile would work against him when he attempts to broker any type of deal with this feckless board.

Thomas Tuchel -- Ain't gonna happen. Excellent tactician. Coached Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan quite successfully at Dortmund. But he can't get along with anybody, most notably his arch-nemesis Sven Mislintat -- who just happens to be Arsenal's director of recruitment. No chance. Pass. Has naught but a single cup to his CV and as mentioned not a likely option with the staffing appointment above.

Joachim Low -- A name brand and World Cup winner. Gets along well with Özil and other German players (probably could attract a few top ones to the club). But there's a huge difference between managing internationals and managing club football. He hasn't coached at the club level in 14 years and wasn't terribly successful when he did. Never at a big club either. Also, I'm not sure I want someone who scratches his balls or swipes his armpit, then smells it. It's not a good look. I'd prefer someone else. Interesting option but how well would he acclimatize to club football after a decade and a half away from the game?

Diego Simeone -- Over time, he could bring back "1-nil to the Arsenal." Great tactician. Hard-nosed. But goodbye beautiful, free-flowing football. Besides, I don't think he's interested in leaving Atletico Madrid anytime soon. Possible but unlikely, looking to Inter as his next destination.

Brendan Rodgers -- No. Just no. Oh, he's a pretty fair manager I suppose. He's certainly having success in Scotland, but Celtic has no real competition. Had that one great run at Liverpool when Suarez took them by the scruff of the neck and dragged them to 2nd place, but Arsenal can do a lot better. Pass. The last thing we need is envelopes causing more of a disruption to an already tumultuous locker room.

Antonio Conte -- I've always been a great admirer of Conte. Manages to mix solid defense with some pretty pleasing football. Love how he handles Mourinho. I'd take him in a minute. And I do think this is going to be it for him at Chelsea. But his problems there stem with his frustration over transfer policy. So why would he want to jump from the frying pan into the fire? Would Arsenal be willing to make the commitment he would demand? I like him but he's moaning whilst at Chelsea that he can't match the spending of both Manchester clubs. Quite unlikely he'll find the willingness to match them here.

Luis Enrique -- Another guy who is already available. Won a boatload of trophies at Barcelona working with Raul Sanlleh when he was Barca's director of football. Not much not to like here, although his pedestrian results at Roma and Celta might be a reason for concern. As you said, his previous stints at Roma & Celta Vigo are swept under the carpet due to his impressive haul at Barca. Not convinced by his ability.

Max Allegri -- Has been fantastic at Juventus. Brilliant tactician. Not, however, a particular proponent of beautiful football. One possible red flag to consider is that while he started his stint at AC Milan with great success (winning the league), it was under Allegri that Milan took its tumble. He was fired in the middle of a season in which they finished 8th. His hiring to replace Conte at Juventus was rather shocking at the time and was the subject of great ridicule. He's been able to sustain his success at Juventus and even build on what Conte left him, but would he be able to undertake the sort of rebuilding effort he would be facing at Arsenal? I'm not sure. My preferred choice but why would he, in all logical sense, jump ship from Juve to come to what, arguably was once great, but now is just an absolute shambles of a football club?

Maurizio Sarri -- His brand of eye-pleasing possession football would be exactly what Arsenal fans have come to expect. A red flag would be the fact that he was fined and received a touchline ban for alleged racist and homophobic remarks in a confrontation with Roberto Mancini. Also, he's 59 years old and has never managed outside Italy. I doubt that he would be interested in moving to England at this point in his life. Pushing 60 and hasn't one anything of note. A tepid version of Wenger lite.

Paulo Fonseca -- Honestly, I don't know much about him. He's done great at Shakhtar, but was more of a mid-table manager in Portugal. Seems as though this would be a huge gamble on Arsenal's part. Can't see it happening. Pass.

Eddie Howe -- This would probably be David Moyes at Manchester United all over again. I like Eddie Howe. His teams play the right way. But he's only been at Bournemouth. He's never managed a bigger club. Would be a big gamble. Big gamble but can anyone do worse than Wenger at this stage?

Thierry Henry -- Despite the fact that he seems to be lobbying for the job, appointing Henry as manager would be the most idiotic thing Arsenal could do. He has very little coaching experience at all (just youth level and as an assistant with Belgium). Being a great player is no qualification for management. Nor are sentimentality and nostalgia. Arsenal needs to hire somebody who has actually coached and proven themselves. So no. Pass. Love the man too much to allow him to tarnish his legacy here.

Patrick Vieira -- I would love to see Vieira manage Arsenal someday. If they are determined to hire an Arsenal legend, this would be the one to hire. He gained Premier League coaching experience at City and has done a terrific job as manager of New York City FC (who won their season opener 2-0 at Sporting Kansas City tonight). That said, I don't think he's quite ready to make the jump from MLS to the Premier League. I'd like to see him come back and join the staff to be groomed as the future manager. Would be a great option in a few years if he continues to improve across the Atlantic.

Mikel Arteta -- Another guy I could see managing Arsenal someday (I said exactly that when he retired to take a coaching position at City). But he's almost surely not ready. I'd like to see him go manage Everton or somebody, then we could see where that leads. Agreed, should stop being an assistant and take a job elsewhere before even being considered for a prominent role here, let alone as manager.

Carlo Ancelotti -- Not exactly an attractive option following his acrimonious departure from Bayern. Much like Arsène is set in his ways but unlike Arsène doesn't know how to build teams & primarily made his name as a Cup manager. We're miles away from the Champions League so he's not worth considering at this particular junction.

Leonardo Jardim -- A good option that is known for team building & investing in youth, but fear his less stellar profile would work against him when he attempts to broker any type of deal with this feckless board.

Thomas Tuchel -- Pass. Has naught but a single cup to his CV and as mentioned not a likely option with the staffing appointment above.

Joachim Low -- Interesting option but how well would he acclimatize to club football after a decade and a half away from the game?

Diego Simeone -- Possible but unlikely, looking to Inter as his next destination.

Brendan Rodgers -- Pass. The last thing we need is envelopes causing more of a disruption to an already tumultuous locker room.

Antonio Conte -- I like him but he's moaning whilst at Chelsea that he can't match the spending of both Manchester clubs. Quite unlikely he'll find the willingness to match them here.

Luis Enrique -- As you said, his previous stints at Roma & Celta Vigo are swept under the carpet due to his impressive haul at Barca. Not convinced by his ability.

Max Allegri -- My preferred choice but why would he, in all logical sense, jump ship from Juve to come to what, arguably was once great, but now is just an absolute shambles of a football club?

Maurizio Sarri -- Pushing 60 and hasn't one anything of note. A tepid version of Wenger lite.

Paulo Fonseca -- Pass. Doing well at Shakhtar should never be a valid criterion for consideration to fill the Arsenal managerial post.

Eddie Howe -- Big gamble but can anyone do worse than Wenger at this stage?

Thierry Henry -- Pass. Love the man too much to allow him to tarnish his legacy here.

Patrick Vieira -- Would be a great option in a few years if he continues to improve across the Atlantic.

Mikel Arteta -- Agreed, should stop being an assistant and take a job elsewhere before even being considered for a prominent role here, let alone as manager.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

I found it hard to say but Kroenke destroyed Wenger, to work with a limited budget over the years since we moved to The Emirates, and even think we could compete FFS what does he thinks?

Think we should give Wenger more credit then he deserves, ofcourse he should do better with the current team, but we are nowhere near the quality which is needed to win the title in Man City for example.

Wenger has kept us at a high level he should deserve more credit for that as already mentioned the board should take the full ****ing blame for the shambles we are currently in.

People wont agreed with me, but this is the way i think about the whole situation.

Our transfer budget and our defensive organisation are completely exclusive of each other. Kroenke didn't destroy Wenger - football has just passed Arsène by. It happens to most, except the absolute greats.

Preacher

Always Crying
People are acting like it's a sure thing Wenger will leave after this season. Why? Wenger has one more year left in his contract, right? No way he will leave prematurely. He'll see that contract through and the board will certainly let him. I have no reason to expect Wenger won't be here next season. And if he'll get us back to top 4, which I don't believe will happen but of course it could, he could be offered an extension. I can easily see Wenger staying for three more years.
We have stupid board, but not that stupid. Maybe they don't care about fans, football on the pitch, but they care about finances, which going down. Some sponsors deals are ending soon. We can't extract full value in next deals with current state of the club. Two years without CL it's very big deal, 3 years would be a disaster. Wenger isn't the man to return us on the big stage.

FinnGooner

Established Member
We have stupid board, but not that stupid. Maybe they don't care about fans, football on the pitch, but they care about finances, which going down. Some sponsors deals are ending soon. We can't extract full value in next deals with current state of the club. Two years without CL it's very big deal, 3 years would be a disaster. Wenger isn't the man to return us on the big stage.

I'm pretty sure they're not going to sack Wenger, though. And while further extension for him is not likely, if we win the EL or finish fourth next season and get back to CL, it's definitely an option.

Luke

Again, we should be looking more at getting rid of our board and not wenger. When was the last time Sp**s or Liverpool won a trophy? Yet Wenger has won many over recent years, final of the league cup, if they beat Milan then they should win Europa... Is this really so bad in todays competitive competitions?
Ok, maybe it is time for a change of manager to become even more competitive in the EPL, if that were to happy, wenger needs to go upstairs, fill the void the David Dein left which has never been filled since and then get Jardim in. (IMO)

HBL

Established Member
Jardim can bring Fabinho & Sidibe with him as well.

Whoever is in charge will no doubt need a hefty transfer budget to sort out this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom