• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Who do you hope the next manager will bin to raise funds to strenghten the squad?

- Iwobi. Hasn't improved. No output. He's still at the club because he's homegrown and from our academy imo.

- Welbz. Even if he's been better lately his contract expires next year. Don't want us to offer him an extension tbf. Even as a bench player we should aim better.

- Mustafi. I think we all agree on that one.

- Wilshere. We need to make room for new CM we badly need. Our midfield has been our huge weakness this season alongside our defence imo.

- Cech.

- Chambers. Hasn't really improved in 3 or 4 seasons? I think Holding has more potential.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Arteta might well become a very good manager, but it's underestimated how much harder it is to be the main guy that has to shoulder the responsibility and has to to deal with the pressure that comes with this.

I'm sure he does a fine job for Pep: analyzing opponents, helping prepare the team for games, lending some advice to youngsters, etc. But he can do all of this in relative peace. Once he is the manager he will be under the microscope and under scrutiny from everyone and everything and even though he is intelligent and understands the game very well, he has to prove that he can deal with that before he should even be considered for the job.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

If not Arteta/Vieira route then Enrique or Rodgers honestly seem like managers the board would appoint, I'd be seriously underwhelmed by either. Jardim has English issues, Naggelsman is a bit too young you feel and Favre hasn't been mentioned outside this forum.

Preacher

Always Crying
If not Arteta/Vieira route then Enrique or Rodgers honestly seem like managers the board would appoint, I'd be seriously underwhelmed by either. Jardim has English issues, Naggelsman is a bit too young you feel and Favre hasn't been mentioned outside this forum.
Why don't you like Enrique ?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Why don't you like Enrique ?

I honestly thought outside of his first season at Barca which was amazing, he didn't really do anything special for me it was if the talent of their attack carried them. In truth it's kind of hard to properly judge him, I just don't think he's anything special.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Aside from that. I am genuinely interested in what the appeal is. I just want one person to give a reason as to why him... without citing his hair, him being Peps no2 or Arséne being an unknown quantity when he came here(who had great experience already).

I want to see it from their perspective

Probably because of the type of person he is and player he was. I've always viewed Arteta as a potential manager (and even a potential Arsenal manager). But not for Arsenal at this time. He needs to gain some managerial experience first. I think some are just getting out ahead of themselves.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I'm sure he does a fine job for Pep: analyzing opponents, helping prepare the team for games, lending some advice to youngsters, etc.

Just look at Villas Boas. By all accounts & the leaked examples he was incredible at this but struggled after Porto.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Who do you hope the next manager will bin to raise funds to strenghten the squad?

- Iwobi. Hasn't improved. No output. He's still at the club because he's homegrown and from our academy imo.

- Welbz. Even if he's been better lately his contract expires next year. Don't want us to offer him an extension tbf. Even as a bench player we should aim better.

- Mustafi. I think we all agree on that one.

- Wilshere. We need to make room for new CM we badly need. Our midfield has been our huge weakness this season alongside our defence imo.

- Cech.

- Chambers. Hasn't really improved in 3 or 4 seasons? I think Holding has more potential.

Phil Neville touched on this during the broadcast today and, when asked, specifically mentioned Welbeck, Iwobi and Mustafi. I think all these are good candidates except for Cech. He will at the very least see out his contract, even if they bring somebody in to compete with him or even to play ahead of him (I would personally like to see him stay at the club in some role). Hard to imagine Wilshere being back now with his contract running out. But it all depends on the new manager.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Why do so many people cry for "experience" when so many young coaches already proved that it rather depends on personality, authority, tactical understanding and new ideas.

Did Zidane have that much experience when he went on to win 2 CL titles with the biggest club in the world? Was Pep a big name before he went on to become the coach of Barcelona ? The list goes on and on, if you have what it takes, you're ready for the task.

There's nothing wrong with appointing Arteta, Viera or Henry. They have the footballing IQ, they act as role models for their players, they have new ideas,..

Someone like Ancelotti would bring some new vibes, yet would provide more of the same. We need a revolution rather than a simple evolution.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Why do so many people cry for "experience" when so many young coaches already proved that it rather depends on personality, authority, tactical understanding and new ideas.

Did Zidane have that much experience when he went on to win 2 CL titles with the biggest club in the world? Was Pep a big name before he went on to become the coach of Barcelona ? The list goes on and on, if you have what it takes, you're ready for the task.

There's nothing wrong with appointing Arteta, Viera or Henry. They have the footballing IQ, they act as role models for their players, they have new ideas,..

Someone like Ancelotti would bring some new vibes, yet would provide more of the same. We need a revolution rather than a simple evolution.

Zidane / Pep had both managed & not just youth football with how Spanish football integrates the youth teams into domestic league structure. Vieira is comparable but not Thierry or Arteta... Far more of an unknown.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Yes but when you are in a 2 horse league with the best forward players on the planet it makes your job 10x easier. We have 5 teams to compete with, there is alot more at stake!!

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

Real Madrid and Barcelona have teams so superior to the rest of La Liga that it makes the task easier, but both Zidane and Guardiola were coaching their respective clubs' B teams and being groomed for the job. Arsenal does not have the squad, nor are they in a position to take a chance, especially when two of the three you mentioned have no managerial experience at all. Thierry's coaching experience, period, is virtually nonexistent. Arteta has been working as an assistant, specializing in video, but has not even managed a youth team. Vieira would be far ahead of the other two in terms of being ready (which he says himself that he is not), but coaching in MLS is not like coaching the B team at Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Preacher

Always Crying

Every success story has at least 10 unsuccessful stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom