• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Simeone doesn't do football, his teams are so boring to watch.

I'm hoping Arteta is ready in a few years, I think he'll be an excellent coach. His interviews are always a pleasure.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Don't fall into the trap of thinking this management lark is easy.

It's not, but don't think it's that difficult with the players and resources we have either.

Sp**s have consistently finished close to 4th for just as long as we've consistently finished top 4, changing managers in the process... They've had that consistency, even if it hasn't got the top 4 every year. They've had an inferior squad every year too, so it makes sense. Consistency, nonetheless. It's not that difficult if you only have mugs to beat, and we've only beat them.

Chances are that we'll drop out of the top 4 as soon as Wenger goes so I'm not looking forward to it.
Let me know what odds you'd like on us dropping out the top 4, and I'll be sure to pay you in full.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Stranger things have happend I suppose, hoping for Simeone myself though maybe that's more unrealistic than Henry with this board!

Simeone's an interesting one. I don't think he'd be a great fit - he's not my idea of an evolution - he is more revolution, rather he'd change entire on-pitch philosophy off the bat. But no doubt that he has quality as a manager IMO.

Simeone doesn't do football, his teams are so boring to watch.

I'm hoping Arteta is ready in a few years, I think he'll be an excellent coach. His interviews are always a pleasure.

Simeone's teams' strength is off the ball. They defend the spaces like warriors and will always be tough to break down. They play very good counter attack football and their attack is well co-ordinated. If you can mirror them, it draws them out though.

I really hope Arteta joins our coaching staff. He's one of the most tactically astute players we've had in a very long time. I have a feeling he'll be a great coach or manager. It is clear that he is Wenger's general - when he was initially made captain, it made perfect sense to me.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
You don't want a manager with a proven track record against teams with a bigger budget but you do want someone who's never managed but who's interviews give you pleasure.

Basically yes. Boring football is a huge turn-off.

GunnerGetYah

Established Member
I always think Henry is worth a shot. Will he have the respect of the players? Definitely. Has he played the game at the highest level and played with intelligence? Yes.

But to be honest, I reckon Bould might take it when Wenger goes. I wouldn't be against it, if we could have an attacking minded assistant, e.g. Henry.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Frank De Boer would be a good appointment. Pep I'm not sure is realistic but you go for him if you can get him.

There could possibly be a drop off anyway but I think the best way to approach it would be to find someone who can enhance the base foundation of what we have. I don't know who that manager is yet.

I have had a hunch though - ever since he retired - that Thierry Henry is probably going to be the next Arsenal manager. I don' t know why, and I have absolutely no idea whether he will be a success or not (I choose not to draw conclusions from his punditry or his past character as a player), but I have a feeling that this is what may happen. Or perhaps another former/current player (Arteta, maybe).

A former disciple with an evolutionary approach to Wenger's philosophy. It's a longshot but it's a hunch I have.

Henry is our best ever player but he isn't intelligent enough to be a great manager. He's not even a good pundit. Give me Bergkamp any day of the week, I wonder how good Bould would be.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

If Pep and/or Ancelotti are available by the time Wenger calls it quits then we'll go for them. If not I imagine Roberto Martinez is high up the list too as unpopular as it seems to be around these parts.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Ahhh ok, players don't need to be trained, developed, motivated, teams don't need tactics etc
The team on the pitch, come matchday, will manage itself. They'll be good enough to make the sort of decisions that will have a bigger impact than any manager, anywhere, will be able to make. Don't listen to me--listen to the man who says so. Wenger. Not that he enlightened me to it, tbh.

But I'm obviously keeping you from FM2016 by inviting a response, so off you go lad. ;)

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I agree with Jury, if the quality is there then they only really need to be guided. Perhaps just be reminded of how talented they are and give them confidence when things aren't going so well. They don't to be babysat over everything.

It's why I think Ancelotti would be a great manager to have. Ancelotti has never really been a manager who goes into great detail over everything in the game. He just lets talented players play. People can say he got lucky that he had great players at Milan, Chelsea, PSG and Real. But that's why did achieved what they did, that's why Milan won two champions leagues, that's why Chelsea had their greatest season under him, that's why PSG became the best club in France under his guidance and that's why Real after 12 years final got La Decima. He allows great players like Seedorf, Pirlo and Kaka at Milan, Ronaldo, Modric, Bale at Real, Lampard, Drogba, Malouda at Chelsea to play with freedom. He allows them to make decisions in game because he knew that great players have the intelligence and ability to do so.

Ok I might actually be going down a different route here, but giving players freedom can be a perfect example of good management. You saw at Barcelona how Enrique had the intelligence to allow Messi and Suarez to decide between them who'd stay wide and who'd play centrally.

Reactions: A_G

say yes

forum master baiter
If you buy the right players, the team will manage itself.

How did United go from winning the league by 11 points to 7th place in one season (while spending ~£64m) then? ;)

Will let you know what odds I want when it happens, we've still got a long time to go before Wenger retires.

pikey2000

He hasn't "won" anything but I like what Koeman is doing as Southampton, lost key players two seasons in a row and still has a team that plays some good football and gets the most out of his players, seems to be tactically astute and is a well respected ex player.

Other than that, Bergkamp? ? Learning his trade in Holland, intelligent guy but perhaps lacks management experience

I don't see us needing to drop out of the top four either, the squad we have has a far better blend of youth and experience than the UTD side Moyes inherited - title winners or not our squad is in better shape. 2 top players off of being extremely good.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
How did United go from winning the league by 11 points to 7th place in one season (while spending ~£64m) then? ;)
I wouldnt use that as an example. There are loads of variables in that sudden decline. I've given you an example of a club remaining consistent despite changing managers. Do you want more? What is it, there bigger you are and the more resources you have, then the harder it is to remain consistent? Is that what you're saying?

Infact when you think of the fear and apprehension surrounding Wengers departure, it's absurd. All the evidence, everywhere around the world, is to the contrary, where clubs the size of Arsenal are concerned. But someone will use one example of where it went wrong, and ignore tons of examples where it not only stayed the same, but got better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom