• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadrunnerReloaded

Those players had to be signed and developed, we're at a level now where we don't have that time to develop in the first team.

I'm sure there is a new Bakayoko in league 2 we can sign, but it'll be 2 years before he hits the required level.

I don't know about that, Jardim rebuilt Monaco after selling half of their first go-round at youth and it didn't slow down the club at all. And some of those like Kante, Mendy, Keita, Alderweireld were ready the first season.

Its definitely harder and more competitive to find the value but its still there.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
How? Mustafi, Xhaka and Holding are very good signings.

Under a new manager, new system, Mustafi and Xhaka will show their worth.
Holding hasn't played enough to influence anything. You can only count those that he's signed to go straight in. So Mustafi and Xhaka... Whether you think they're good players or just haven't performed under Wenger, it is what it is. We've gone backwards.

zanwalk

Sp**s Fan
I think the biggest problem is that there appears to be no plan to replace Wenger in place at the club because it is assumed that he will sign another contract and everything will carry on as before. Top four - guaranteed, season ticket sales - guaranteed, etc., etc. Because he has been the manager for such an extended period of time, preparations for his replacement have been ignored.

Virtually every other club is used to changing managers fairly regularly and have the necessary structure in place to oversee the changeover, but when you have a manager who has been consistently successful at the club for 20+ years, there is not the experience or appetite for change in place at the club, and belatedly it seems to be sinking in that this is the case.

scytheavatar

Established Member
How? Mustafi, Xhaka and Holding are very good signings.

Under a new manager, new system, Mustafi and Xhaka will show their worth.

Mustafi and Xhaka are >£30M signings, both of them and Holding still has a long, long way to go before they can show their worth. A long way to go before they can even be considered essential to the team going forward. If you compare them to the Luiz and Kante which were signed at around the same price it is very clear that Chelsea has made the better signings.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Mustafi and Xhaka are >£30M signings, both of them and Holding still has a long, long way to go before they can show their worth. A long way to go before they can even be considered essential to the team going forward. If you compare them to the Luiz and Kante which were signed at around the same price it is very clear that Chelsea has made the better signings.
But Luiz isn't even that good. He's been used well in a system that suits him

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I think the biggest problem is that there appears to be no plan to replace Wenger in place at the club because it is assumed that he will sign another contract and everything will carry on as before. Top four - guaranteed, season ticket sales - guaranteed, etc., etc. Because he has been the manager for such an extended period of time, preparations for his replacement have been ignored.

Virtually every other club is used to changing managers fairly regularly and have the necessary structure in place to oversee the changeover, but when you have a manager who has been consistently successful at the club for 20+ years, there is not the experience or appetite for change in place at the club, and belatedly it seems to be sinking in that this is the case.

I suspect this is one of the key reasons why Wenger will not be leaving anytime soon. Simply put, our club will have a tough time without him and proper structures in place.

This latest crisis and real possible exit out the top 5 will probably be the kick off into the restructuring required, in addition to Wenger staying on.

Its a question in my mind of Wenger needing a good run of results and taking advantage of it. My only hope is that his successor is properly planned and a very worthy candidate who can take us to winning things again.

BobP

Memri Fan
Those players had to be signed and developed, we're at a level now where we don't have that time to develop in the first team.

I'm sure there is a new Bakayoko in league 2 we can sign, but it'll be 2 years before he hits the required level.

Think you'd have to ask yourself if those players are better than both what we have at the club at what we've brought in recently.

For example, is Elneny, who cost more, better than Kante? Or is Keita better than Coquelin?

I'm talking even prior to their 'big' moves.

scytheavatar

Established Member
But Luiz isn't even that good. He's been used well in a system that suits him

Luiz is not a top class defender, but he is a lot better than people give him credit for. Luiz makes spectacular mistakes now and then but those are exceptions rather than the norm. Mustafi certainly has been the one who makes more mistakes, and the one who has to improve more.

samshere

Why so serieuse?

Wenger has been such a key figure for the club for over 20 years that his influence has permeated every layer of the club. Especially after Dein left, it seems that Wenger takes every small and large decisions in the club, leaving the other executives with poor knowledge about how to run things. I'm sure they're expecting Wenger to tell them what to do after he goes so that they can continue with their strategy of doing nothing. I hope that they have learned from Utd and Fergies appointment of Moyes, but the boards lack of initiative doesn't fill me with confidence.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
This season, for probably for the first time in his whole tenure, is the only season where you can say his spending--the highest amount since he's been here--has actually hurt the club. For that reason, he simply can not be trusted. We've had a negative return on £100m.

You really think that?

We had been severly understaffed in CB

imagine having to rely even more on Gabriel and El Neny?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You really think that?

We had been severly understaffed in CB

imagine having to rely even more on Gabriel and El Neny?
Well we've got considerably worse with them. Are we better at the back and in mf now with Mustafi and Xhaka? We're worse off. He spent big and our options are no better.

InvertedFootballer

Mustafi taking his time to learn how we do defending here was expected, the puzzling one was Xhaka

Without switching up the system Xhaka will keep doing more harm than good.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Mustafi was a panic buy really, Wenger clearly wanted Manolas, yet with the clause in his contract, Roma were never selling until this summer. Instead of moving on, the club wasted ages trying to get him and decided the next best thing was pouring out £35m for a guy who's turned out to be the German Otamendi who's helping us achieve our worst ever defensive record under Wenger.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Mustafi was a panic buy really, Wenger clearly wanted Manolas, yet with the clause in his contract, Roma were never selling until this summer. Instead of moving on, the club wasted ages trying to get him and decided the next best thing was pouring out £35m for a guy who's turned out to be the German Otamendi who's helping us achieve our worst ever GC season in the PL.

Bit ridiculous you laying into a 24 year old CB who has been here 3 months. Especially considering the players around him are a mess and Wenger can't set a decent team up.

Let's question Cech, Kos, Nacho and Bellerin. All underperformed.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Bit ridiculous you laying into a 24 year old CB who has been here 3 months. Especially considering the players around him are a mess and Wenger can't set a decent team up.

Let's question Cech, Kos, Nacho and Bellerin. All underperformed.
Better than pretending all our signings have been good. Mustafi has been more harmful to this defence in hindsight.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Better than pretending all our signings have been good. Mustafi has been more harmful to this defence in hindsight.
Who's pretending? Xhaka and Mustafi are good, they're surrounded by ****.

Put Mustafi at Chelsea and see if he looks better.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Who's pretending? Xhaka and Mustafi are good, they're surrounded by ****.

Put Mustafi at Chelsea and see if he looks better.
So he needs two CB's next to him then? :lol:

Just admit he's been **** and move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom