• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEWMAN123

Still believe Jardim would be better suited to us over Allegri. Now that Juve and Monaco are up in the semis we can see a direct head to head between the two.

Juve are favourites due to their squad so if Monaco get anything it will show the prowess of Jardim. If it's a close run tie and Monaco are knocked out then I'd still go for Jardim. If Allegri obliterates Monaco then Allegri it is. This game should show us how Allegri does as the favourite and how Jardim does as the underdog.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Still believe Jardim would be better suited to us over Allegri. Now that Juve and Monaco are up in the semis we can see a direct head to head between the two.

Juve are favourites due to their squad so if Monaco get anything it will show the prowess of Jardim. If it's a close run tie and Monaco are knocked out then I'd still go for Jardim. If Allegri obliterates Monaco then Allegri it is. This game should show us how Allegri does as the favourite and how Jardim does as the underdog.

Yeah Jardim a bit more of a natural fit given our players are suited to relatively high tempo football while Allegri would probably want a few defenders, completely rebuild the midfield and add a world class striker to get anywhere close to what he wants a team to be.

As for the CL tie, Monaco will probably put in a decent showing but they'll lose because Juve have the superior squad and most importantly their defence won't be anywhere near as open as City/Juve and thus Monaco won't experience the same joy and may struggle as a result. I don't think losing the tie is something that Jardim should be criticised for as he's already done an immense job as it is. Their on their way to Ligue 1 ahead of PSG as things stand and have reached the CL semi-finals with young players playing an attractive brand of football, he deserves endless amount of praise.

Deathstroke

The Terminator

Better still, have them go at it WWE-style. Allegri Zayn v Jardim Mahal to determine the #1 contender.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Yeah Jardim a bit more of a natural fit given our players are suited to relatively high tempo football while Allegri would probably want a few defenders, completely rebuild the midfield and add a world class striker to get anywhere close to what he wants a team to be.

Think it's the other way round, Jardim's Monaco is closer to classic Wenger Arsenal which we absolutely do not have the players for, and much of this season's woes have been caused by Wenger trying to push us for "high tempo football" with not very dynamic midfielders and defenders. Allegri's Juve plays structure, solid football that at the same time is very flexible, his Juve is basically what we were moving towards playing until this season, and he would require less personnel changes than Jardim would.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I honestly don't see how one tie can be the ultimate arbiter between the two candidates.

I like Allegri very much but I think Jardim would be slightly more suited to us due to his record of developing young players at Monaco. Not taking anything away from Allegri but he has the two best CBs in Europe plus a legend in Buffon between the posts.

However, Allegri has the experience of managing far bigger clubs, I think this facet is crucial in our next manager to survive with the post AW fall out.

I would be delighted with either though.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Allegri and Jardim have emerged as frontrunners. I like the fact that Allegri has largely rebuilt Juve within two seasons. His pragmatic but exciting style might also allow us to transition easier given the high number of less talented players we have. A word of caution from an Italian friend is the situation Allegri found himself in at Milan. Won the title in his first season and then went to pieces behind Juve. Milan sacked him and the he walked into a strong Juve team and rebuilt them to challenge not so much for Serie A but the CL. He's done a good job but transfers of top players within Serie A seems easier. Juve also have money and the other big teams have collectively stagnated. He's a good manager but also quite lucky.
Jardim has done well at Monaco. I don't know much about him but the style of play is reminiscent of us circa 2008. It's fast and exciting and technical players with physicality will thrive. I think he'd coach our existing defence well but he'd have a massive job to do from MF forward. Only Ox,Alexis,Walcott,Özil and Santi have a fighting chance in that they have one of pace or technical ability. It's a massive job but with a DoF,it's not impossible.
I think Wenger is staying. The news on JW's contract is not great imo. If he showed the same ruthlessness he did with Chamakh and Gervinho,I'd be more hopeful but he has to be pragmatic whilet the season plays out.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Certainly not, all of them either purchased under Arséne's tenure (Campbell, Lauren & Toure) or brought through the youth system during his time.

My point still stands as, although three of them were integral in our last double triumph, Dixon, Keown, Adams & Seaman were regular fixtures that season and they were most definitely Graham's lads.
The first Wenger title was built on Vieira and Petit.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

The first Wenger title was built on Vieira and Petit.

Who were hugely instrumental in our title win. Its just that my point was that defenses win titles & 4 of our last 5 were marshalled by George Graham's stalwarts

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

4 of the last 5? In 2001 Keown aside the Graham guys were bit part, ALL the success was built on Wenger boys.

Just stop.

They were still instrumental when called on to play their respective parts.

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

Gave Wenger a nice start tbh. A sprinkling of skill and power in Petit and Vieira, and we were laughing.

Vieira & Petit. What a magnificent pairing. Power, precision & full of confidence.

We did well in the interim when he left but when we purchased Gilberto it brought back that familiar feeling with Vieira bombing down the center now that he had a foil to soak up the pressure in his absence.

The 1997-1998 double remains my favorite because it seemed as though we were dead & buried in December the turn around put together later was the stuff of legends. The victory over Wimbledon at Selhurst Park on Wednesday & the win over Manchester United at Old Trafford the following Saturday made me believe we'd win our first premier league title.

It's a testament to the nerves & grit of that team that we remain the only team to win the league from 6th place at the halfway mark of the season.

Last edited:

NEWMAN123

I honestly don't see how one tie can be the ultimate arbiter between the two candidates.

I like Allegri very much but I think Jardim would be slightly more suited to us due to his record of developing young players at Monaco. Not taking anything away from Allegri but he has the two best CBs in Europe plus a legend in Buffon between the posts.

However, Allegri has the experience of managing far bigger clubs, I think this facet is crucial in our next manager to survive with the post AW fall out.

I would be delighted with either though.
It's not really this tie that decides it all tbh. I was just saying it will be interesting to see a face off between the two managers. I prefer Jardim because realistically we will nearly always be the underdog in the CL against the big boys and he's shown he can manage with little money and having to build a squad with young talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom