• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
The other day Henry was slagging off the players and club, that is fine when you're just a pundit, but it's not fine when you're also a coach and are going into that club the next morning.

The Henry one is understandable, but you've got Vieira, Bergkamp, Arteta, all of whom have gone elsewhere. The way i see it is he allows them to coach the kids to help them get their badges and that's his way of giving them opportunities. He keeps them far away from the first team. Arteta is sitting next to Pep on the City bench, if Arsène offered him a role he'd be coaching the U16s.

Lehman has slagged him off, Petit has, Vieira has.

GDeep™

League is very weak
The Henry one is understandable, but you've got Vieira, Bergkamp, Arteta, all of whom have gone elsewhere. The way i see it is he allows them to coach the kids to help them get their badges and that's his way of giving them opportunities. He keeps them far away from the first team. Arteta is sitting next to Pep on the City bench, if Arséne offered him a role he'd be coaching the U16s.

Lehman has slagged him off, Petit has, Vieira has.
Bould is his number 2, what do you want? Artera was apparently going to be groomed to be his sidekick with Bould but he couldn't turn down his friend Pep - Arteta was emotional about it.

Lehmann, Petit, and Vieira have all said he should stay as manager and not quit. They all still back him.

Godwin1

Very well-known
Bould is his number 2, what do you want? Artera was apparently going to be groomed to be his sidekick with Bould but he couldn't turn down his friend Pep - Arteta was emotional about it.

Lehmann, Petit, and Vieira have all said he should stay as manager and not quit. They all still back him.
It's probably because they know him on a personal level, unlike any of us or a lot of pundits who don't have that connection.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Henry was asked to pick Sky or Arsenal. Before he joined City there was talk Vieira rejected a role at Arsenal.

Wenger isn't mother Theresa. Keown is at Arsenal, scouted for Wenger, Bould is there, Pires is there, Ljunberg was there, Wenger let Henry come in, Arteta was offered a role etc.

Wenger has an open door policy for his older players, says so himself.
Arteta was not offered a role and I remember the whole fanbase being bewildered by that. But at the time Wenger made a statement saying they could not just make up roles to accomodate him.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The case of Ljungberg is not too difficult to understand, and one where I think he can gain valuable experience, and return to Arsenal in a different capacity.

Having Henry as a youth coach and a pundit was a completely impossible double role to fill. That should be evident. I think the club made the right decision there, and one where Henry can have no complaints.

Toast

Established Member
Arteta was not offered a role and I remember the whole fanbase being bewildered by that. But at the time Wenger made a statement saying they could not just make up roles to accomodate him.

The evidence on whether Arteta was actually offered a role is not clear. Wenger didn't rule it out but, like you said, pointed to the need for openings in the academy. [1]

A few months later the Telegraph wrote that it was 'understood that Arsenal had offered Arteta a position', but no evidence was produced.

So, no definitive proof either way at this point. We'll have to wait for the biographies, I think.

[1] Full quote:
"You want your former players to be at the club, but as well you need positions. You cannot create artificial positions," Wenger said. "If you have coaches in the under-18s, 16s, 14s who are very good, you cannot kick them out to make room for players who want to coach."

"If we have positions we always give a good chance to the players who played here. And let's not forget, I've given to many, many players the opportunity to get their license here, to educate them and after that maybe to coach somewhere else," Wenger said.

"We always open the door to give them an opportunity to be educated. And after we need positions available to give them a job."

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Henry was asked to pick Sky or Arsenal. Before he joined City there was talk Vieira rejected a role at Arsenal.

Wenger isn't mother Theresa. Keown is at Arsenal, scouted for Wenger, Bould is there, Pires is there, Ljunberg was there, Wenger let Henry come in, Arteta was offered a role etc.

Wenger has an open door policy for his older players, says so himself.

Why do people forget Pires arguably a better footy brain than Henry or Vieira works for us. Those who are older know 2001/2002 he was the best player in the league.

burnsjed

Established Member
Why do people forget Pires arguably a better footy brain than Henry or Vieira works for us. Those who are older know 2001/2002 he was the best player in the league.

gun__1239098336_pires_bow.jpg

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Whether Pires has a better football brain than Henry and Vieira is up for debate but imo he has to be an asset in some capacity at the club. He has played football and experienced life in basically almost every where you could go. Pires has to be appointed in a directorial and representative role at the club.

And also Vieira should also have been utilized in some role at the club and I'm sure he could do very well. He is ambitious, intelligent and has the power of personality.

Bergkamp in a coaching capacity or technical directorial role as well.

Overmars as a sporting director given his experience and relative success at Ajax too.

And bringing back Arteta after working with Guardila as a coach could be an idea.

You just have to look at how the successful clubs benefit from set ups like that. We have so much potential to become a mega club but we just don't even attempt to go the distance in every aspect.

ChefMan21

I want Arsenal legends at the club, but equally, it shouldn't be at the expense of a better qualified person. I think it's really important to respect traditions and retain some link to the past, but I also think clubs should evolve. When Wenger came in we evolved from 1-0 to the Arsenal to a top European club who played very attractive football. That was the result of the manager but also the players and coaching staff who had a shared direction and goal.

I think it's really important we find that long-term manager who can lay out a new vision for the club, one that evolves us but still respects the past, and one who can cut through the politics of Arsenal to ensure we become a European superclub like Real, Man Utd, and Juventus. Whether former players are part of that is irrelevant to me; we should be looking at we achieve success over the next 20 years, not how many former players we have on the coaching books.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
it's amazing how many people still believe what they read in the tabloids, and even more amazing how many people seem to think they are privy to what goes on in the club behind closed doors

Arsène and Arsenal are secretive about a lot of things, and trying to second guess all the time is a pointless exercise

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
And also Vieira should also have been utilized in some role at the club and I'm sure he could do very well. He is ambitious, intelligent and has the power of personality.

I take it you haven't read Vieira's autobiography? Vieirà comes across as being on par with Paul Merson on the intellectual front.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
plus he is with us, on the training ground every single day.
both Pires and Bould are going to have great careers one day. Bould is learning from the best. every single human being who loves football would absolutely kill to be in Bould`s boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom