• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lisandro Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legend14

Established Member
I could be overthinking this and it will take time, maybe even a season, but, i think if this guy signs, Xhaka will be phased out. Not because they'll play the same position, but because he can move into similar areas and play the same balls Xhaka plays - them cross field diagonals, them balls into the channels.

The plan could be to go with Vieira LCM, with him basically drifting wide and creating an overload with whoever is playing LW.
Who is holding down the midfield when everyone bombs forward?

Partey, although likely hobbled from covering for everyone else, will be the most important player on the squad.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
This feels way too light-weight. Totally reliant on Partey for any degree of physicality in midfield with this setup (major risk given his injury history). Would probably work well against the bottom sides, but I feel like this lineup would just get run over against any serious competition.
I always thought that technically superior sides do well against top sides but struggle against bottom sides who are there only to kick and push to get any sort of result.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
------------Jesus-----------------

Saka-------------------Raphinha

------Vieira----Ødegaard-------

--Lisandro-Partey-Tomiyasu--

------Gabriel--White-----------

----------Ramsdale--------------

Think this might be the way if we get both Lisandro and Raphinha.

Mad team this, even more so when you think about the competition.
Saliba most likely will bench one of the CBs at some point.
ESR might edge Vieira, Martinelli might at some point edge one of the attackers, .. then you have Tierney, Xhaka and young talented kids like Patino.

Not even considering Nketiah etc just yet.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
He is not a LB really have no clue why people will put him in that position. we just need to move on from Holding who is a disaster to happen with all respect. then we have 2 right footed CBS and 2 left footed CBS competition is healthy.

Tierney will always start in my opinion.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
He is not a LB really have no clue why people will put him in that position. we just need to move on from Holding who is a disaster to happen with all respect. then we have 2 right footed CBS and 2 left footed CBS competition is healthy.

Don't think the intention is to have him bombing up and down the left wing. Something like this is probably the plan, with Martinez and Tomiyasu helping to create the overloads in midfield. It would let you play Vieira and Ødegaard together as well.

8d9cd-15527113190713-800.jpg

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Don't think the intention is to have him bombing up and down the left wing. Something like this is probably the plan, with Martinez and Tomiyasu helping to create the overloads in midfield. It would let you play Vieira and Ødegaard together as well.

8d9cd-15527113190713-800.jpg

I like the looks of it but what about Tierney? I really think he should play. ofcourse every opponent is different but it would be a waste to not play him. but anyway competition is healthy.

@Mods i am sorry to go off-topic.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
I like the looks of it but what about Tierney? I really think he should play. ofcourse every opponent is different but it would be a waste to not play him. but anyway competition is healthy.

It would odd to drop one of or the best LB in league. When you you consider that this guy can play CM and we are screaming out for 2 cms.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐

It might be harsh on Tierney but maybe they've decided they don't want to build a way of playing around a guy that is always injured for half the season. Just thinking back to last season Arteta didn't hesistate to keep Tierney out of the side as soon as Tavares had a few good performances, so i don't think he's fixated on the idea of Tierney having to be a starter.

Just the way i see it. I think Arteta would value a player who can help dominate possession more than a more traditional LB.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

I think it's because Gabriel was one of our best performers over the season as a whole so he would come in as second choice LCB. It doesn't seem like a position we'd spend north of £40m and besides that it seems like a tough sell to an Ajax and Argentine national team starter.

Tierney is brilliant most of the time when fit - it hurts me how underrated he is on here - but the flip side is that we suffer when he's out. I think the most logical conclusion is the one we've mostly reached that he is thought of as dual cover and competition for Gabriel & Tierney. Possibly even as a backup to Partey as well. I like that formation that @The_Playmaker posted above a lot FFIW. I don't think it's lightweight in midfield. With Tomi & Martinez inverting you've got three hard, strong tacklers who are quality on the ball. Width is a possible issue but I think you'd do well against a lot of teams.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Tierney will most likely be injured for half of the season, and it looks like we are looking at letting Nuno go and will keep Holding about. That tells me LM will see game time at LB.

He wouldnt be used as a traditional left back either, as others have said I think he'll move into midfield a lot. Actually think this may suit him best. He won't have the physical burden of being the sole DM, but when we have the ball we can take advantage of his world class passing skills. If anything I think we would get more from him in that sort of role.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
I think it makes sense to expect this.
We failed with a 3 at the back line-up not because it does not suit us in general, but because we had a few terrible players that just would not work with it.

If we get Raphinha and Martinez, we have so many perfect players for that system that I can hardly see us not going for it, if we sign Martinez

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
------------Jesus-----------------

Saka-------------------Raphinha

------Vieira----Ødegaard-------

--Lisandro-Partey-Tomiyasu--

------Gabriel--White-----------

----------Ramsdale--------------

Think this might be the way if we get both Lisandro and Raphinha.

Good team setup, but you are disrupting the now telepathic combination play between Saka and Ødegaard by moving them apart like that. I expect them to remain together on one side, with a new combination being built on the other side.

Raphinha on the left can work as he is able to assist with cutbacks/crosses into the box, as well as use his right foot to strike the ball as well. Otherwise leave Saka left and move Ødegaard into the left 8 role, and Tielemans/Vieira operating as the right sided 8 to start combining with Raphinha at RW.

The main thing though is that we have options to work with now, and that makes us dangerous.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We're going to have a lot of flexibility in the defence if we sign LM, which I like.

Tierney and Cedric are the traditional fullbacks.

Tomi/White/LM the fullback/CB hybrids.

Saliba/Gabriel/Holding the traditional CBs.

It gives us a lot of tactical variation at the back. Very good group of players there imo.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Good team setup, but you are disrupting the now telepathic combination play between Saka and Ødegaard by moving them apart like that. I expect them to remain together on one side, with a new combination being built on the other side.

Raphinha on the left can work as he is able to assist with cutbacks/crosses into the box, as well as use his right foot to strike the ball as well. Otherwise leave Saka left and move Ødegaard into the left 8 role, and Tielemans/Vieira operating as the right sided 8 to start combining with Raphinha at RW.

The main thing though is that we have options to work with now, and that makes us dangerous.

I think Saka and Ødegaard both may move over to the left, with Raphinha (if we sign him) on the right. I still think there's a good chance we bring Tielemans in as well for the RCM spot.

Having Ødegaard/Tielemans/Vieira and potentially ESR as advanced 8 options is a massive improvement.

Bloodbather

Established Member

This feels way too light-weight. Totally reliant on Partey for any degree of physicality in midfield with this setup (major risk given his injury history). Would probably work well against the bottom sides, but I feel like this lineup would just get run over against any serious competition.
If Lisandro and Tomiyasu were to be classic full-backs, yes, it's too lightweight in midfield. But they are inverted in this formation, meaning they provide support to the midfield, and they are both strong tacklers.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
I think it's because Gabriel was one of our best performers over the season as a whole so he would come in as second choice LCB. It doesn't seem like a position we'd spend north of £40m and besides that it seems like a tough sell to an Ajax and Argentine national team starter.

Tierney is brilliant most of the time when fit - it hurts me how underrated he is on here - but the flip side is that we suffer when he's out. I think the most logical conclusion is the one we've mostly reached that he is thought of as dual cover and competition for Gabriel & Tierney. Possibly even as a backup to Partey as well. I like that formation that @The_Playmaker posted above a lot FFIW. I don't think it's lightweight in midfield. With Tomi & Martinez inverting you've got three hard, strong tacklers who are quality on the ball. Width is a possible issue but I think you'd do well against a lot of teams.

2 points I'd add to this is that I don't think we pay 40-50m for a back up and Tierney was not an Arteta buy. Martinez will be an upgrade defensively and in his range of passing.

The other alternative is that Martinez does bench Gabriel because he has so much better passing and we know Arteta values that

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Gabriel was, by his standards, poor coming in to the last part of the season. Martinez favoured position is apparently left centreback, Arteta will drop anyone who is underperforming. I wouldnt make any big assumptions about who is first choice until about 10 matches in to the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom