• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lisandro Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Still not getting this move unless it's to be primarily as a CB.

If we were looking at this inverted LB situation, just sign Zinchenko. Loads of PL experience, actually plays FB regularly and would likely be significantly cheaper.

I've barely seen Martinez play. Seems decent but there's an element of trying to reinvent the wheel and desperation to believe KT is going to be dropped with all this inverted LB stuff.

Think he'll end up teaming back up with ETH at Man Utd though.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Am I the only person feeling uneasy about this player?
Not even sure why he’s wanted. Arteta has bought an LB to cover for Tierney last year and apparently Saliba is coming back to cover CBs White, Gabriel and Holding. He bought Cedric to cover Tomi. Surely there are other areas needed more. Seems mad to buy a midget with no role to play.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
:lol: have to respect your hustle for consistently sticking to your insane takes.
I don't see what is insane about bringing in upgrades for our poorest performers?

We had 4 positions in my opinion that require an upgrade:

Lacazette - we brought a quality player in Jesus.

White - had a very good second third of the season but he was very poor and a liability defensively for the first and final third in season. We now have Saliba who by all reports was one of the best CBs in France this season.

Xhaka - I rated him in his first two seasons but he has been in decline since. We signed a more creative and attacking cm in Vieira as an upgrade.

Partey - very poor in his first season. In his second season he had about 6 weeks of decent form but was poor apart from this. Hopefully we bring Martinez who going on the highlights against Chelsea will provide more cover to the back 4 than both Partey and Xhaka did this past season.

Last edited:

Anders Harbo

Angry Scandinavian #6
Looking at his peformance highlights vs Chelsea where he playing cm and he looks impressive. Looks like the Argentine Dennis Wise.

Start Vieira and Martinez instead Partey and Xhaka.

Could be the reason why, we are not really going after Tielemans.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
My ass, people *****ing about White still .. we played some super juicy football last season and have the most exciting young squad in the league by a landslide.
White is a big part as to why we play more fluently, calling him a failure is an absolute joke and an insult to football
You must be a troll. We were boring to watch.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
So why did we lose 13 games and let in 9 more goals than the season before, almost twice as many as Liverpool.

The Arteta force is strong, I know, but reason has gone from our fans. Signing another small defender is a mistake. It's simple physics when crosses come in. You need to have a good leap, be strong . . and tall. Saliba has those attributes and he has good ball control. Why Arteta left him out last year and bought White for £50m is something other worldly. He should have spent that money on a top midfielder instead of Lokonga.
Goals conceded: We started playing on the half-way line rather than with Luiz & Holding camped at the edge of our own box.
Losses: More down to a failure to score goals...we got gubbed at Palace, Liverpool, Sp**s & City, but our other losses were more the result of anemic attacking play leaving us penned in or not taking chances.

As for Saliba, I assume you've not seen him that much - great attributes, but has long had a weakness at defending aerial crosses in the box (which he has improved on this season to be fair to him). And while good on the ball, he can't pass as well as White.
And don't give up on Lokonga - needs more pace to his game and to get stronger, but his touch, creative passing and ball progression are all very good.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Still not getting this move unless it's to be primarily as a CB.

If we were looking at this inverted LB situation, just sign Zinchenko. Loads of PL experience, actually plays FB regularly and would likely be significantly cheaper.

I've barely seen Martinez play. Seems decent but there's an element of trying to reinvent the wheel and desperation to believe KT is going to be dropped with all this inverted LB stuff.

Think he'll end up teaming back up with ETH at Man Utd though.
Our season was ruined after Tierney and Partey were injured. So it's a huge area to improve the quality. This guy would also improve on Holding as the Gabriel LCB backup.

Zinchenko might want to play midfield, I have heard that.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Our season was ruined after Tierney and Partey were injured. So it's a huge area to improve the quality. This guy would also improve on Holding as the Gabriel LCB backup.

Zinchenko might want to play midfield, I have heard that.

Good points.

Both 1.75m too. Personally I'd like a couple more inches.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
I don't see what is insane about bringing in upgrades for our poorest performers?

We had 4 positions in my opinion that require an upgrade:

Lacazette - we brought a quality player in Jesus.

White - had a very good second third of the season but he was very poor and a liability defensively for the first and final third in season. We now have Saliba who by all reports was one of the best CBs in France this season.

Xhaka - I rated him in his first two seasons but he has been in decline since. We signed a more creative and attacking cm in Vieira ad an upgrade.

Partey - very poor in his first season. In his second season he had about 6 weeks of decent form but was poor apart from this. Hopefully we bring Martinez who going on the highlights against Chelsea will provide more cover to the back 4 than both Partey and Xhaka did this past season.
Not just that you're always have well left-field takes, you always post them like you keep them at the ready in a xls spreadsheet.

For one Partey has been easily top three for us since he's signed. I'm disappointed by the level of his performance because he's nowhere near the machine he was for Atletico but it doesn't change the fact he's on another level to the rest of our team.

You next immediately and blindly assume that players like Martinez who did well in a) one game vs Chelsea, b) you've only seen in highlights, c) isn't even a CM will d) bring that level both consistently and playing in the garbage setup we're seeing at Arsenal these days. You know you could just as well point to Partey dominating Liverpool by himself in a CL knockout tie and you'd have a much more solid base to say he'd be the perfect midfielder for us?

Then for good measure you claim Vieira is a CM when he's a scrawny CAM who while very talented hasn't even fully proven himself in Portugal.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I hear Barcelona got one in January that had the best stats in all the top 5 European leagues. Yeah, imagine if we’d had him?

Playing for Barca ahead of Gavi, Pedri, Busquets against the bottom half of la liga (though credit he did smash it against a Real Madrid team who defended like one big collective Mustafi) is a bit different to playing ahead of Partey & Xhaka in the most competitive league in the world. In any event, Auba always bangs for 2-3 years and then starts to lose interest. He also missed a collection of absolute sitters (particularly in the Europa League).
How he did for Barca is largely irrelevant though as he was poor for us bar the Sp**s game.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Could be the reason why, we are not really going after Tielemans.
Why would be interested in a guy to play midfield who hasn’t played there for 2 years and the year before only played half the time there and his manager said openly he suited better in defence. Arsenal stumbled in a game he played midfield 3 years ago and said that’s the guy for our midfield? This little man is being signed as CB

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Not just that you're always have well left-field takes, you always post them like you keep them at the ready in a xls spreadsheet.

For one Partey has been easily top three for us since he's signed. I'm disappointed by the level of his performance because he's nowhere near the machine he was for Atletico but it doesn't change the fact he's on another level to the rest of our team.

You next immediately and blindly assume that players like Martinez who did well in a) one game vs Chelsea, b) you've only seen in highlights, c) isn't even a CM will d) bring that level both consistently and playing in the garbage setup we're seeing at Arsenal these days. You know you could just as well point to Partey dominating Liverpool by himself in a CL knockout tie and you'd have a much more solid base to say he'd be the perfect midfielder for us?

Then for good measure you claim Vieira is a CM when he's a scrawny CAM who while very talented hasn't even fully proven himself in Portugal.

Granted its more hope and optimism than anything that Vieira and Martinez will be good for us (I haven't seen either play). As we seen with Partey and how very poor he has been (even Elneny outshone him last season) and Pepe just because they performed well in a foreign league and signed with a big reputation and fee doesn't mean they will be a success for us.

Also Partey top 3? Our top 3 cms possibly but that's due are very poor peforming quartert of Partey, Xhaka, Elneny and Lokonga.

drippin

OLD TWEET WARNING

Do people realize that Ornstein has said that Martinez is planned to be LB & LCB at Arsenal?
DMF is a bonus cover ability.

So it makes perfect sense he will replace Holding in the squad as he is surplus after Saliba, and is right-footed when Gabriel is our only left-footed CB when Mari is sold?

He is likely planned to be a starting LB because we all know that Tierney can't be relied on. Plus Martinez fits the inverted LB role better. He can also let Gabriel rest for the cup games as LCB.

It would be just perfect squad planning to sell Holding who is not good enough for our tactics to get a versatile player who can improve many positions in need.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
are these sites wrong then? or the CB position of Ajax more like a DM / LB?

from all the 'he wont play CB' comment I assumed he plays all over the place

how can people be so certain a 40m+ guy playing at CB this much wont play at CB here... its just guessing :lol:

0001.png

0002.png

0003.png

drippin

are these sites wrong then? or the CB position of Ajax more like a DM / LB?

from all the 'he wont play CB' comment I assumed he plays all over the place

how can people be so certain a 40m+ guy playing at CB this much wont play at CB here... its just guessing :lol:

0001.png

0002.png

0003.png
If you look at all games at Ajax, it's 90 as CB, 22 as DMF, 7 as LB and 1 as RB.

But yes, CB's play very high line at Ajax and build up play. This guy's heat map from last season is very big for a CB.

Inverted LB role makes sense for his qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom